Sponsored

Driving Maverick on Lake Shore Drive in Chicago?

briandefilippo

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Want to drive it on Lake Shore Drive in Chicago. But city has ordinance to not allow trucks on this road. What to do about this problem?
Sponsored

OP
OP

briandefilippo

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

You sure it isn't just commercial/work trucks? Most personal trucks these days are nicer than many cars.
It is any car designed to car stuff like a pickup.

SantaStephen

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.santastephen.org
Vehicle(s)
GLE, Disco II, Corvette
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think it depends if you have b truck plates or not.

Sponsored

SantaStephen

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.santastephen.org
Vehicle(s)
GLE, Disco II, Corvette
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My dealer says that truck plates will be required on the Mav. Is that correct?
I’ve seen some people manage to get their pickups classified as RVs..not sure how though.

whtnrdy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'05 AWD Astro, '90 G20 Van, '22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Live in Chicago. You will most likely have to get a B (Truck) plate since all pickups, including Ridgelines have to. However, I will guarantee you that you will never ever be pulled over on LSD with a Maverick. Just don't drive it while towing something.

If you are new to the city, you have to be super egregiously stupid to get pulled over in the city. From my experience, laying down some rubber at a stop light at 2:00 am half a block from a police station counts as stupid.

frrocketdan

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Live in Chicago. You will most likely have to get a B (Truck) plate since all pickups, including Ridgelines have to. However, I will guarantee you that you will never ever be pulled over on LSD with a Maverick. Just don't drive it while towing something.

If you are new to the city, you have to be super egregiously stupid to get pulled over in the city. From my experience, laying down some rubber at a stop light at 2:00 am half a block from a police station counts as stupid.
I was just in Lake Shore Drive last week and saw several pickups driving there. No issues.

The specialty plates can be on trucks under 8000lbs so you can avoid getting a B plate that way.

I know there’s been some movement change the rules in Chicago to be more friendly towards pickups but you’ll still have to be mindful of parking restrictions for the time being.

whtnrdy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'05 AWD Astro, '90 G20 Van, '22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I was just in Lake Shore Drive last week and saw several pickups driving there. No issues.

The specialty plates can be on trucks under 8000lbs so you can avoid getting a B plate that way.

I know there’s been some movement change the rules in Chicago to be more friendly towards pickups but you’ll still have to be mindful of parking restrictions for the time being.
Good point about the specialty plates. I have the EN (Environmental) plates on my 3/4 ton van (that I park on the street by the way) and I think that these plates are still cheaper than the B Plates. However, the city will still require you to pay the truck rate for the city sticker which I just paid $280 for.

Sponsored

mttmaverick

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Chrysler Pacifica
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Want to drive it on Lake Shore Drive in Chicago. But city has ordinance to not allow trucks on this road. What to do about this problem?
Take Lake Shore Drive. I have been driving Lake Shore Drive for years with my F-150 and no problems at all. Just tell them you feel safe versus the other expressways where they are shooting each other!

New2AZ

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic EX Hatchback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I lived in DT Chicago for a decade before moving to Arizona 2 years ago... You're fine on LSD with a pickup. It's bigger commercial trucks they're referring to.

vezpa

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
EMG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too many to list.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I live in Chicago and have owned several trucks.

First ... Police don't enforce pickup truck laws on LSD. My best friend is a CPD officer in a traffic car on LSD. That has been an old wivestales since the 90s. They are after larger commercial trucks.

Second... you don't get a "B" truck plate for your Maverick. You get a specialty plate, like the ones below that do not signify your Maverick as being a truck. I have had them on all my trucks and they are legal. I have the Police Memorial on the bottom right.

Ford Maverick Driving Maverick on Lake Shore Drive in Chicago? IL%2BSpecialty%2BPlates%2Bworldlicenseplates

Last edited:

vezpa

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
EMG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too many to list.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My dealer says that truck plates will be required on the Mav. Is that correct?
NO, Any Illinois specialty plate will be OK. You will need to go to the Sec of State office to get one.
See my post above.

vezpa

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
EMG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too many to list.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Live in Chicago. You will most likely have to get a B (Truck) plate since all pickups, including Ridgelines have to.
Completely not true. See my post above.
Sponsored