aquaj13

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford maverick lariat awd
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I thought my brakes were grinding. Come to find out my drive shaft was very loose. Mechanic about shit when he saw it. Said I was lucky to catch it in time. My mpg was awful as well. He said this would fix that a lot. Keep an eye out guys. Hope this helps someone.
Sponsored

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Here comes the awd recall!

Also i had a 79 econoline that dropped shaft a few times. Was a bad pinion yoke. Let me tell ya it is a wild experience. Actually ripped the tailhousing off of a c6 the 3rd time. I was drifting.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

After he tightened it, my truck immediately drove better and I shot up 9 mpg on an hour trip I took today.
That checks out. I recommend you retorque it next week. Or a week from the fix. If it isnt still at the torque spec take it back again.

Thumper477

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 maverick fx4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Was your mav involved in the sibl recall?I think the driveshaft has to come out to do this.I also think the bolts are one time usage and need to be new when done.Just a thought.I know on other fords they have to be TIGHT so as not to fall out.

Sponsored

OP
OP
aquaj13

aquaj13

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford maverick lariat awd
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Was your mav involved in the sibl recall?I think the driveshaft has to come out to do this.I also think the bolts are one time usage and need to be new when done.Just a thought.I know on other fords they have to be TIGHT so as not to fall out.
What is the sibl recall? My gas tank was good if that’s it.

L Martin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LuxLariat 2.0 cactus grey FX4
The one time usage bolts secure the tank, not the drive shaft.

I was wrong about this. The bolts that secure the tank are loctite coated and should not be reused. The drive shaft bolts also should not be reused. My bad.

Last edited:
OP
OP
aquaj13

aquaj13

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford maverick lariat awd
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My best friend is a great mechanic and he takes good care of me. Lol

Sponsored

L Martin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LuxLariat 2.0 cactus grey FX4
I was under the impression that the one time use bolts were just used to support the gas tank. I think that is not correct. According to another post re gas tanks, part number ( LX6Z-4B496-B) is for one time use bolts for the drive shaft. (I do not have personal knowledge of this so the Mav May use a different part.) It seems possible that the reason the drive shaft was loose is that the wrong bolts/previously used bolts were used to reinstall the shaft after checking the gas tank. I suggest you be sure that your friend used the correct bolts.

Last edited:
OP
OP
aquaj13

aquaj13

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford maverick lariat awd
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
All he did was torque the bolts that were already there. I’m going today to recheck it. If it is loose again I’m going to my local ford dealership to get them replaced

tmoney20g

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT FX4/Lux/4k/CP360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The one time usage bolts secure the tank, not the drive shaft.
Driveshaft has to come out for the gas tank to come out. there's 2 sets of hardware required, the driveshaft hardware, and the gas tank strap bolts get replaced because it seems that they all snap in half when trying to be removed and have a ton of loctite on them.

OP
OP
aquaj13

aquaj13

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford maverick lariat awd
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Just to update, checked it again yesterday and it’s still tight. Hopefully mine is a fluke.

Lake Surfer Girl

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I thought my brakes were grinding. Come to find out my drive shaft was very loose. Mechanic about shit when he saw it. Said I was lucky to catch it in time. My mpg was awful as well. He said this would fix that a lot. Keep an eye out guys. Hope this helps someone.
We had to take ours in because we had taken it in for some customer satisfaction program, oil change, and tire rotation. When we picked it up...it was vibrating at 40 miles per hour. I took it back immediately, they checked the tire balance...and again no luck. So they called saying they think it is the drive shaft, but there are two and neither is leaking so they aren't sure what is causing it. UGH
Sponsored