Sponsored

mspmms

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
'MERICA
Threads
Reaction score
U.S.A. Indianapolis, Indiana (Downtown Indy)
Vehicle(s)
2022 XL Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

My hybrid is the first vehicle I've had which I've driven in the winter which won't let me have typical winter fun with it.

Having owned a few FWD vehicles in the past, winter brings eager parking brake assisted drifting & donuts. Tested out the electronic brake on my Mav yesterday. Looks like it's a no-go for this type of shenanigans. :( It seems like the brake won't remain set when the vehicle is moving and/or throttle is being applied. Unless I don't know the proper secret technique? If anyone having fun in the snow with their FWD has been able to do it, please share.

With this, the lunch tray method (no snow needed) isn't possible either. Sad.

About that Lunch tray method - if you do have another FWD vehicle that will work:
=>
Meme
Sponsored

Last edited:

DarrenDizz

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick XLT Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Good work! It’s good practice to feel how a vehicle reacts when it breaks traction in a controlled environment like a parking lot. It is the best way to practice a recovery too. And have fun without fear of hitting something or someone. I plant to do some “practice” in my new Tremor but yea still figuring out the new truck.. but soon!

Reactions: Guv

Sponsored

Markii56

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold the Avalon 12/22/23
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So, we'd empty all the vehicles out of the lot at the Chevy dealer and plow it out. Fire up a Caprice Estate wagon and load a couple guys into the "primo position:" the rear-facing third seat. Now THAT'S some fun doughnuts!

Then we'd give a call down to the nearby Ford dealer and ask if their lot had been cleared yet. If the response was, "hey, we're waiting for ya!," we'd go do the same over there. Watching the Ford Salespeople standing in the showroom window, laughing their asses off, was almost as much fun as what we were doing!

Let me tell ya... pulling g-forces at the tail end of one of those land yachts while facing BACKWARDS is an experience you will never, EVER forget! YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

SLINGSHOT

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RAV4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Need to get a Four Wheel Drive Maverick. Hard to do with Front Wheel Drive only. I have no idea how many times I have done this with rear wheel drive cars and trucks. I do miss it. Cheapest fun you can have. UNTIL you hit something. That’s why you needed a “winter junker” to play with. All my cars were junkers, so I didn’t have to worry. One more dent just got lost in the crowd.
They need to do something about that hollow drone though.

JfredTrem

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Maverick XLT Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That's one thing that sucks about Maui. No snow, hell I don't even think we have parking lots big enough for that sort of fun.
to many chicken in the lots, gonna have feathers in your grill

Sponsored

Big Kahuna

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That's one thing that sucks about Maui. No snow, hell I don't even think we have parking lots big enough for that sort of fun.
Hey if you live there long enough you'll see snow :) It snows sometimes on Haleakala. All the locals will go up there with garbage can lids to try to go sledding.

aitch-2-oh

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taurus X
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Slid snd scraped along a fence-row, crumpling the right side in 1st ever snow encountered 3 weeks after legally having a license.
4-door ‘70 Dodge Dart, RWD, bias ply tires.
Thought Dad would kick my ass; he definitely wasn’t happy. I cringed all night, awaiting.
Next morning, early, awoken to a “Get dressed, let’s go”. Uh oh…

Did donuts for a half hour in an empty lot. Also did straight line speed, ‘try to stop quickly and stay in your lane’ stops. That’s the maneuver that took out the right side.

Nothing was said about the damage or the root cause ever again…

Gray Goose

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
RG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

My hybrid is the first vehicle I've had which I've driven in the winter which won't let me have typical winter fun with it.

Having owned a few FWD vehicles in the past, winter brings eager parking brake assisted drifting & donuts. Tested out the electronic brake on my Mav yesterday. Looks like it's a no-go for this type of shenanigans. :( It seems like the brake won't remain set when the vehicle is moving and/or throttle is being applied. Unless I don't know the proper secret technique? If anyone having fun in the snow with their FWD has been able to do it, please share.

With this, the lunch tray method (no snow needed) isn't possible either. Sad.
FWD is for reverse donuts. No brake or lunch tray needed.

Ford Maverick Maniac

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 XLTs: hybrid alto blue & turbo AWD carb gray.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
OK now you have me regretting not getting the AWD. Thanks. ;)
You still can Dan! I have one of each I show in my videos. It's like getting 2 trucks for the price of one full size. I use my Mav hybrid in Huntington Beach for max city mpg. I use my Mav turbo AWD at my place in Park City for max capability in mud and snow + far more passing power uphill.

Per this video below, it costs about $10 more per tank for the AWD. That is about the cost of lunch. Even during huge snowstorms, we have never been stopped at chain control.

And you will not necessarily save overall with a hybrid. Now that the hybrid engine costs +$1500, that equals 150 fill ups at the extra $10 cost.

Sponsored