Sponsored

Drainage holes for under seat storage?

halvarez101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Corolla
Hey all! First post!

I saw in a video with the design team they mentioned putting ice in the storage under the rear seats - anyone know if there is a drainage plug under there to lose the inevitable water? Or if you got a look in person, if it seems like you could drill through and put one?
Sponsored

CoryDallas8123

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A4, Chevy Chevelle SS, 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Welcome to the forum.

No plug on the trainer models Iā€™ve seen.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hey all! First post!

I saw in a video with the design team they mentioned putting ice in the storage under the rear seats - anyone know if there is a drainage plug under there to lose the inevitable water? Or if you got a look in person, if it seems like you could drill through and put one?
I wouldn't do that anyway. Marketing people love saying everything is for putting ice. Can you imagine the mess, and its not even insulated. They did the same thing for the Santa Cruz, saying that the bed trunk is for ice when even the user manual says not to put ice in there because it can freeze the lock mechanism and its not insulated either, lol!

Ice should go in an actual well insulated cooler.

CoryDallas8123

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I wouldn't do that anyway. Marketing people love saying everything is for putting ice. Can you imagine the mess, and its not even insulated. They did the same thing for the Santa Cruz, saying that the bed trunk is for ice when even the user manual says not to put ice in there because it can freeze the lock mechanism and its not insulated either, lol!

Ice should go in an actual well insulated cooler.
But itā€™s a great marketing tool! Hahahaha.

I always wonder ā€œwho are the people who plan to use their SC ā€œtrunkā€ as a coolerā€? Just bring a cooler!!!!! Itā€™s not like coolers are hard to come by.

Hell, Omaha Steaks sends a free cooler with every purchase.

OP
OP

halvarez101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Corolla
Heard that! It did enchant me with the Santa cruz, but I also work in foodservice and am going to use my maverick for some pop-ups.

Sponsored

CoryDallas8123

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Heard that! It did enchant me with the Santa cruz, but I also work in foodservice and am going to use my maverick for some pop-ups.
Thatā€™s makes sense. Glad to hear this trunk cooler thing actually helps a segment of people.

I always see it from my ā€œtailgateā€ experience.

WasChops

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz Ltd + Maverick Lariat Hybr
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That makes sense. Glad to hear this trunk cooler thing actually helps a segment of people.

I always see it from my ā€œtailgateā€ experience.
Last night I had a thought... are there any Plug in type small coolers (will fit under seat storage area) that could be plugged into with the cord running down into that storage area and the subsequent cooler? - Found this: Wagan EL6206 - 6 Quart 12V Portable Electric Cooler/Warmer for Car, Truck, SUV, RV, Trailer DC Powered, 6 Liter Capacity - I think this might fit!?
  • Dimensions LxWxH (in.): Internal: 8.1 x 5.3 x 8.1 inches. External: 15 x 11 x 8.0 inches. Can Capacity: 9 (12oz.) cans
This one more than likely is too big... Koolatron 52 Qt. (49 l) Thermoelectric Cooler-P85 - The Home Depot

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Last night I had a thought... are there any Plug in type small coolers (will fit under seat storage area) that could be plugged into with the cord running down into that storage area and the subsequent cooler? - Found this: Wagan EL6206 - 6 Quart 12V Portable Electric Cooler/Warmer for Car, Truck, SUV, RV, Trailer DC Powered, 6 Liter Capacity - I think this might fit!?
  • Dimensions LxWxH (in.): Internal: 8.1 x 5.3 x 8.1 inches. External: 15 x 11 x 8.0 inches. Can Capacity: 9 (12oz.) cans
This one more than likely is too big... Koolatron 52 Qt. (49 l) Thermoelectric Cooler-P85 - The Home Depot
Not sure if you had already considered this, but the HVbattery will NOT provide power when the truck is off -- it's actually physically disconnected via a contactor when the truck is off. So if you need long-term refrigeration, I'm not sure if the regular 12v battery will be able to provide those needs while the truck is off for an extended period of time.

asel3121

First Name
Asel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro
Engine
Undecided
Hey all! First post!

This sounds like a terrible idea. Just get a cooler.

WasChops

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz Ltd + Maverick Lariat Hybr
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Not sure if you had already considered this, but the HVbattery will NOT provide power when the truck is off -- it's actually physically disconnected via a contactor when the truck is off. So if you need long-term refrigeration, I'm not sure if the regular 12v battery will be able to provide those needs while the truck is off for an extended period of time.
I am in line for the 1st Edition AWD 2.0 EB engine...

Sponsored

Chris McD

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The frunk on my wife's upcoming Mustang Mach-E has drain holes. Also indents to put cups if I remember right. They REALLY want us to put ice in there...

OldSoulNewMaverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Soul
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I wouldn't put ice in the underseat storage. If someone really needed to have a "built-in" cooler, better off getting one of the swing out toolboxes for the bed and drilling a hole in the bottom of it.....but I still think it'd be a waste of $. And if it's a hybrid, there's a battery under one side of the seats.

MaverickAngler

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The ridgeline is (or at least was) marketed to hold ice in the trunk and had a drain hole. Take that Santa Cruz

I miss my Rideline šŸ˜¬
Sponsored