Sponsored

Does Econo Mode help much with fuel consumption?

Erwin_R

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Ford Explorer
Engine
Undecided
You lose Econo and Sport mode with the FX4 package. Does the Econo mode help with fuel consumpion much?

Jon
Sponsored

Lappo424

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord - Looking to switch to Maverick XL

jtpc2021

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You lose Econo and Sport mode with the FX4 package. Does the Econo mode help with fuel consumpion much?

Jon
Who needs an eco mode when all the 2.0 ecoboost owners report 38mpg on the highway anyways? 😄

OP
OP

Erwin_R

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Ford Explorer
Engine
Undecided
Who needs an eco mode when all the 2.0 ecoboost owners report 38mpg on the highway anyways? 😄
Probably you can get about 30mpg highway max if you baby it. Higher gas milage is allways welcome.

Sponsored

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Don't have it on my fx4, highly doubt it is going to do you any more than just being light on the throttle. Normal mode isn't exactly aggressive to begin with! Mud and ruts mode now, that keeps the revs high!

pgstick02

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, 2006 Mazda MX5, 1973 Super Beetle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Mud and ruts mode now, that keeps the revs high!
Good to know about the Mud Ruts mode keeping the revs high. Thanks for the tidbit of info. I will remember that for when mine arrives.

RageRx

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 F-150 + 20 Explorer
You lose Eco and Sport mode with the FX4 package. Does the Eco mode help with fuel consumption much?

Jon
I was legit super mad when I found that I lost eco and sport in the FX4. I would have happily gone without, I never take my vehicle off road and in my F-150 I was almost always in either eco or sport mode(roughly 90%E/8%S/2% Normal).

Darksider

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two
Its likely you can add it with Forscan.. I havent seen for sure but should be soon we will see how to add it.

Sponsored

Nighowl2000

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 ford Maverick lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Glad I didnt get fx4... Sport mode is fun..... Weeeeee

notfast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier PRO-4X Lux FFV
Engine
Undecided

Jon
I'd think it'd help as much as keeping the tires inflated and not driving around with a bunch of junk in the car. In other words, each factor is probably insignificant on its own, but combined it'll help.

I drove '18-'20 F-150s for several thousand miles (rentals). In Eco mode, the trucks were more aggressive with the auto-start-stop, throttle response definitely lagged compared to "normal" mode, and the trucks would shift as quickly as possible to top gear. The trucks would be chugging along in 10th gear at 45mph with the engines doing barely faster than idle speed.

Sport Mode was basically the opposite. The throttle response was very sensitive, the trucks would hold gears almost to redline with moderate throttle input, the auto-start-stop was cancelled completely, and the truck topped out in 8th gear (10-speed auto).

I was legit super mad when I found that I lost eco and sport in the FX4. I would have happily gone without, I never take my vehicle off road and in my F-150 I was almost always in either eco or sport mode(roughly 90%E/8%S/2% Normal).
The drive modes are what would push me toward getting a standard AWD. I'd use the drive modes all the time when driving on the slab. Only things useful to me from the FX4 are the skids and maybe the tow hooks. Skids can likely be purchased from an FX4 model (or wait for the aftermarket).

Tow hooks I'm not too sad about. I ain't going rock crawlin', so if I get stuck, it'll probably be easier to extract the vehicle the way it went in. And I can just carry a soft V-bridle with 15" J-hooks for any forward extractions.

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have no experience driving the Mav yet, but in every other vehicle I've had with an "eco" mode, smart normal driving would always yield better FE, and avoid the lethargic feel of eco mode.

It will be trickier with the Mav, since there is no way to lock out/select gears. That was a big part of the equation in my F150. Still betting on normal mode & driver engagement for the win.

Captain

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
63 Nova Convertible /
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Jon
Funny but I have been driving my 2018 RAV4 hybrid in regular Mode and getting about 29 to 30 MPH… My SIL just got a Honda CRV hybrid and uses ECO Mode and was bragging about MPG, so I put the RAV4 into ECO and now get 35 miles to the gallon… so clearly ECO Mode does something… and I haven’t noticed any power loss.

Probity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Scab 2.7EB, 2017 CR-V
Eco mode can help improve mpg especially in town/city-type driving. A couple of web searches found articles claiming Ford says you can realize ~5% improved gas consumption by adapting your driving style in concert with using Eco mode.

What eco mode does exactly differs somewhat between manufacturers. In general it will dampen throttle response and change transmission upshift points (i.e. upshifts quicker at lower rpms). Makes sense. Lower engine revs = less gas burned. Sort of the opposite of Sport mode.

Not sure what else Ford eco mode does. Does it regulate cabin controls (i.e. A/C, other) and electrical output? Don't know. If this article is to be believed ❤ What Is Eco Mode? When Should You Use Eco Mode? ❤ (cashcarsbuyer.com) , Toyota's do this.

Another general description - What Does The Eco Button Do? | The Daily Drive | Consumer Guide® The Daily Drive | Consumer Guide®

As people who currently or previously owned EcoBoost engine Fords know, EB engines tends to be binary most of the time - either Eco or Boost. Takes a lot of foot discipline to get max. mpg's.

I've found that Eco mode did improve my mpg's around town, but not if I tried it at highway speeds. There will be people that claim they use it all the time, even at 70 mph, and that it improves highway mpg's. That not been my experience at all.
Sponsored