Does clay bar wear down paint finish?

Donaldw

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester, insurance pmt. from stolen tacoma.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I see clay is somehow used in making vehicle look nice. When I think of clay I think of a mineral that is made of small particles which can abrade. Does it wear the finish to use a clay for polishing?
Sponsored

fossil

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 SVT Cobra Mustang, HPR Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I see clay is somehow used in making vehicle look nice. When I think of clay I think of a mineral that is made of small particles which can abrade. Does it wear the finish to use a clay for polishing?
Clay bar detailing is an effective means of removing the embedded particles from the clear coat. The clay encases and adheres to the tiny bits of debris and literally yanks them from the clear coat. If performed correctly, you can remove particles without leaving any traces on the clear coat.

Yes clay bar can damage finish is used incorrectly, do your research or avoid it.
use plenty of lube
use fine grade clay
wash and polish/wax after clay

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Art Vandelay

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid Lariat Alto Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There are actually different grades of detailing clay bars. Most of the clay bars sold in auto parts stores are a fine grade and best for those new to using a detailing clay bar. They are sometimes also referred to as "Consumer grade". Those are safe to use and should not damage the paint unless you really don't use it correctly. There are more aggressive clay bars available and those can damage the paint and should only be used by those who know how to correctly use them.

Sponsored

Scott Asheville

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD XLT ECO LUX CP360 HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Do be aware that the Maverick has very thin paint. If you search the forum, there was a very thorough discussion of Maverick paint by a professional detailer. I think that was about a year ago.

Lane

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lane
Threads
Reaction score
Website
photos.app.goo.gl
Vehicle(s)
2023 Area 51 Hybrid XL, 2006 VW Jetta Smyth UTE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've been using a clay bar on my vehicles for almost 30 years now. All the things it can remove from the top of your paint is amazing. Light rusted-on brake dust, harsh bug splats, even paint left behind by a door whack by another car. I won't wax a car unless I have the time & energy to clay it first to make sure it's the cleanest and smoothest finish possible before putting anything else on it.

Exranger

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 EB FX4 4K Tow LAR LUX Area 51 RCVD 4/27/23
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Use fine clay and lube as mentioned, minimal problems result. Watch some videos on techniques, back and forth, not circles. Try to avoid swirls. Wash car very well first and work in shade. I’ve been using clay since about 2000. First bars then pads and now clay microfiber cloth. Still have bars for wheels, use a little piece and throw away. Never mix wheel and paint stuff, keep separate.

Ford Maverick Does clay bar wear down paint finish? ACA613E7-606F-4AA8-9E9E-E855D7CF3E39

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Lots of good responses above already. I would say clay bar has the potential to wear the clear coat but with a finer clay bar and plenty of lube/moisture while going over your paint you should not cause any damage or wear.

I like the kits currently that use a ceramic spray to lubricate the body surface while clay barring. It isn't the only coat you need to apply but it starts the process. I'm 9 months in and my ceramic coating is still going strong.

I plan to clay bar again in late spring and will apply another ceramic coat for the next year.

Sponsored

shadow76

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Lots of good responses above already. I would say clay bar has the potential to wear the clear coat but with a finer clay bar and plenty of lube/moisture while going over your paint you should not cause any damage or wear.

I like the kits currently that use a ceramic spray to lubricate the body surface while clay barring. It isn't the only coat you need to apply but it starts the process. I'm 9 months in and my ceramic coating is still going strong.

I plan to clay bar again in late spring and will apply another ceramic coat for the next year.
What product do you use for the ceramic coat?

Optimus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clay bars are more about picking contaminants off that are stuck to your paint. Bars are not considered something to “sand” or smooth out the paint surface itself (beyond plucking out embedded contamination). Done incorrectly (not enough lube), yes, the bar can scratch the surface. And by that, I mean the contamination “bits” you already cleaned off will be more likely to cause scratches. You MUST use a lubricant when claybaring. Having said that, it’s very easy and quick, and in no way resembles sanding paint. Automotive clay feels very similar to “sculpy” modeling/hobby clay for making things like figurines.

Last edited:

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
What product do you use for the ceramic coat?
I used Meguiars quick clay ceramic kit when I bought the maverick and because I had used the hybrid ceramic spray for the clay bar I used Mothers CMX (which isn't my preference).

I've found that for the price Adams Polishes - Graphene Ceramic Spray Coating advanced to be the most effective for the spend. A bottle runs around $40-45 and easily will cover the Maverick twice (so two years).

I don't think it is necessary to recoat every year but I do.

There are other products that claim to last for 5-7-10 years but since I like to clay bar once a year it doesn't bother me to reapply.
Sponsored