Sponsored

Does anybody have any idea how much a hybrid battery cost to replace?

Dimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
Engine
Undecided
I'm pretty sure I am going to be buying a Maverick hybrid. I'm curious if anyone has had to buy a hybrid battery before, not just for the maverick mind you? How much do they cost to replace?
Sponsored

Tbolt

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' EcoSport SES, 22' Lariat Lux FX4 Eco Mav
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It is my understanding that they are several thousand dollars if bought out of warranty. Though I have also seen people swear they are good for 200,000, 300,000 miles so if you get that kind of longevity then the vehicle is pretty much trash when the battery dies.

stoptothink

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Depends on a lot of factors. Currently replacing a prius battery can be as cheap as $1200 (refurbished). My friend recently did it for ~$1800 on his prius (at 280k miles). Estimates to replace the battery on an Escape hybrid (closest comparison) range from $2200-$5000.

Biggest thing is, there is a ton of fear-mongering regarding battery replacement. Most batteries last well past 100k miles, strong likelihood you will be driving another vehicle before the battery needs to be replaced.

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux FX4 4K x 2
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Availability will be a bigger hurdle than price for a while anyway.

Sponsored

Flomounier1

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Prius batteries usually run 1000-2500 installation included here in Los Angeles. Those are nickel metal hydride batteries though. It will probably be 7+ years before people start needing batteries for the Maverick.

BoboysTruck

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Focus, Juke
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Is the battery covered under the 8yr/100,000 miles warranty?

pndwind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F450 Amb
Engine
Undecided
Did a Prius for $20 twice buying cells and balancing. Pulled one from a wrecked Prius for $100 once.
Yota wanted north of $5k after labor and the car wasn’t worth that.
Just a disclaimer if you’re a dumb ass just pay someone. You touch the wrong thing and they’ve got enough juice for you to poop yourself one last time.
😁

Sponsored
OP
OP

Dimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
Engine
Undecided
It's good for at least 8 years under warranty
The maverick doesn't have an 8nyear warranty though. Are you saying the battery warranty is different? Unless I am completely mistaken it only has a 3 year warranty

stoptothink

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The maverick doesn't have an 8nyear warranty though. Are you saying the battery warranty is different? Unless I am completely mistaken it only has a 3 year warranty
Hybrid-related components have an 8-year/100k mile warranty.

8 years/100,000 miles (whichever comes first)
Depending on your vehicle, electric drivetrain system components covered by this warranty may include, and are not limited to:
• High-voltage battery
• High-voltage battery connector
• High-voltage battery isolation switch (manual disconnect switch)
• Battery pack fan assembly
• Battery pack sensor module HBPSM)
• Battery energy control module (BECM)
• On-board charger
• On-board charger fan assembly
• Inverter system controller (ISC), DC/DC converter
• Hybrid continuously
• Variable transmission
• Transmission range sensor
• Electronic drive module assembly (the electric motor and gearbox).

Jatrax

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 VW ID.4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The maverick doesn't have an 8nyear warranty though.
As noted above the HV battery is warranted for 8 years / 100k miles.

My Prius had 110,000 on it when I sold it and the battery tested 90% of new.

Unless there is an actual failure, which would be covered under warranty these batteries don't just die at a certain point but they do start to lose the ability to hold a full charge. I've read that Prius batteries usually hold 80% plus over 200k miles. And in a hybrid you just really will not notice that. On an actual EV though you would see a difference.

It seems every other post by ICE fear mongers is "wait until you have to replace that battery". The reality is you won't have to replace it. Not for 200k or more. And the warranty is for 8 years by which time replacement ones will be dirt cheap either after market or refurbished.

And lets say that battery does fail completely at 100k, out of warranty. An ICE vehicle that gets 20mpg (my current ride) will use 5,000 gallons of fuel for that 100k miles. The hybrid Maverick will be more like 2,500. At $4 per gallon that is $10,000 to buy a new battery that will almost certainly cost less than $2,000. Put whatever numbers you want into that and decide for yourself. But any way you look at it, you are way ahead with the hybrid.

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
As noted above the HV battery is warranted for 8 years / 100k miles.

My Prius had 110,000 on it when I sold it and the battery tested 90% of new.

Unless there is an actual failure, which would be covered under warranty these batteries don't just die at a certain point but they do start to lose the ability to hold a full charge. I've read that Prius batteries usually hold 80% plus over 200k miles. And in a hybrid you just really will not notice that. On an actual EV though you would see a difference.

It seems every other post by ICE fear mongers is "wait until you have to replace that battery". The reality is you won't have to replace it. Not for 200k or more. And the warranty is for 8 years by which time replacement ones will be dirt cheap either after market or refurbished.

And lets say that battery does fail completely at 100k, out of warranty. An ICE vehicle that gets 20mpg (my current ride) will use 5,000 gallons of fuel for that 100k miles. The hybrid Maverick will be more like 2,500. At $4 per gallon that is $10,000 to buy a new battery that will almost certainly cost less than $2,000. Put whatever numbers you want into that and decide for yourself. But any way you look at it, you are way ahead with the hybrid.
Playing devil’s advocate, what’s the estimated labor cost as well on a battery replacement?
Sponsored