Sitnbull

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ford f-150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Could some of you guys furnish your dealer’s fixed “documentation fee”? These fixed fees seem to be going up with every car purchase I have made. They used to be around $399 - $499 in my area. My local Ford dealer is now at $799. What are you seeing at your local dealership?
$499 in southern Maryland
Sponsored

2022EOW

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’ve complained about the fee before and managed to get some extra off the selling price, but they will not change the documentation fee on the paperwork.
In the long run, it's better for you that the selling price is reduced as you will pay less sales tax (if you pay vehicle sales tax in your state) as the selling fees are not taxed (at least in my state anyway).

motoretro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subie
$250 is max that be charged in my state, that said, it seems to hover around $200

AbbatheHutt

First Name
Abbey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee
My local dealer in southern Indiana offers no doc fee and a free lifetime power train warranty with the ecoboost engine.

Packer Bill

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-5
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I am going thru Granger...$180 doc fee and $45 transit tag fee.

Sponsored

OP
OP
thosw

thosw

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So far, the dealer documentation fee has a range of $0 to $999!

vezpa

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
EMG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too many to list.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
$200 doc fee.

Xtreme Thunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Toyota
New York, capped at $75!

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I never concern myself with any fees or line items when making a vehicle purchase, I simply negotiate the "out the door" price, and they can put as many fees as they like into that price however they want. Otherwise its a constant game of surprise fees left and right, some of which don't even show up until you're sitting in the finance room and they'll even try to throw in $50 here and $50 there, and it can make it almost impossible to shop numerous dealerships otherwise (and we have always shopped at least 5 dealerships within a 100 mile radius). When you've already agreed to say $28K out the door after all taxes and fees, their hands are tied except on getting a lot of profit from you for add-ons like extended warranties and financing, and those are easy to decline in the finance room after you've locked in a price.

Last edited:
Sponsored
OP
OP
thosw

thosw

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Excellent strategy.

Xtreme Thunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Toyota
I never concern myself with any fees or line items when making a vehicle purchase, I simply negotiate the "out the door" price, and they can put as many fees as they like into that price however they want. Otherwise its a constant game of surprise fees left and right, some of which don't even show up until you're sitting in the finance room and they'll even try to throw in $50 here and $50 there, and it can make it almost impossible to shop numerous dealerships otherwise (and we have always shopped at least 5 dealerships within a 500 mile radius). When you've already agreed to say $28K out the door after all taxes and fees, their hands are tied except on getting a lot of profit from you for add-ons like extended warranties and financing, and those are easy to decline in the finance room after you've locked in a price.
Or you can be like me and say if they try to sell me anything in the finance department, I’m walking away. Effective strategy. I tell them if they waste my time, I’ll waste theirs. Usually 10 mins in and out of that chair.

I also always negotiate trade and new as separate transactions. If hey even think about giving me that little piece of paper with the four corner bit, I rip it up in its sections and start with new purchase square. They can only move on to the next one, trade in amount (if applicable) if the previous is agreed. I’m nice, yet no BS when it comes to vehicle buying. I know what I want before I even walk in, it’s not like they are actively helping me choose like back in the day.

millertyme15

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Murano, Chrysler 200, Jeep Wrangler
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
$199 in St. Louis

UberGadgetFreak

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Marauder, 21 Bronco, 22 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ford Maverick Documentation Fees at your dealer? 1626445697595

Welcome to the Charlotte, NC area... Poking around, you can find one or two dealerships at $699+$189. The thing I hear a lot at work is that "If you don't get X-plan, don't buy it around here"