dbmurray

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Escape Titanium
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I would like to use a dashcam when I get my Maverick. Most of the cheap cams, even if they have an internal battery, will automatically shut off when power is cut off via the cable. In my 2015 Ford Escape, the 12V outlet remains on when the engine is shut down. I have to connect and disconnect my dash cam every time I get in and out of the car. (I know there's a way to wire in another outlet to another fuse to get it to sync to whether the engine is running like I'd prefer, but I just never have done it yet.)

Can anyone verify how the 12V outlets work in the Maverick cab?

It would really be nice if they were programable to the user's preference.
Sponsored

ValenciaOrange

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This might work. You can turn off the 2 outlets. You also need to be able to turn off the display so there is no battery drain.

Ford Maverick Do 12V Outlets Shut Off With Switch? 7B8AE093-E62C-4C10-A6FD-52FFECF561D0

ffoc01

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mav Hyb FE, 2014 Flex
So, they definitely don't shut off with the key, but I'm 90% certain they are controlled by the Battery Saver circuit. That means the BCM shuts them off after the key's been off and the truck left alone for about 30 mins, and it comes live again as soon as the doors are opened, unlocked or the key is turned on.

Since I can't check on my Maverick to be sure (C'Mon 3/7 build date!), plug a cell phone charger w an LED on it into the power point. leave the car off and walk away for about a half hour. The charger should be off when you come back and turn on again when you either unlock or open the door.

It's the same system used on my CMax and the one Ford's been using for power points and interior lights since the early 00's

Also, it looks like that relay controls the bed aux 12v wiring.

RonFetty

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92 Cummins Ram 5SP, 4-Runner TRDP, TDI DSG VW
I would like to use a dashcam when I get my Maverick. Most of the cheap cams, even if they have an internal battery, will automatically shut off when power is cut off via the cable. In my 2015 Ford Escape, the 12V outlet remains on when the engine is shut down. I have to connect and disconnect my dash cam every time I get in and out of the car. (I know there's a way to wire in another outlet to another fuse to get it to sync to whether the engine is running like I'd prefer, but I just never have done it yet.)

Can anyone verify how the 12V outlets work in the Maverick cab?

It would really be nice if they were programable to the user's preference.
Done this. I use BlackVue dashcam. They make a kit that you need to wire.

1x wire to switched accessory
1x to constant

there are also dip switches that you can use to set the minimum. Once your battery hits the minimum voltage it will stop recording and wait for the switched wire and voltage to return to charged levels.

so if you leave for a long trip and your batter goes down to 11.5V, it will stop recording.

from an engineering perspective, it’s not the best design, but will work in 90 percent of cases.

better methodology would be to use impedance tracking + monitor the outgoing current and voltage.

why?
Well, as your battery starts to age.. voltage doesn’t really mean much. If you have a 5 year old battery and pull a load of current, the voltage will quickly drop(as opposed to a new cell). This also changes across temperature as well.

so… while this circuit monitors voltage and works well for 90 percent of cases. There is a chance it can still deplete an Old battery to a point that may leave you stranded. If you change your battery timely, you will be ok.

another way to do this.. would be a separate battery pack (note that BlackVue also makes a little like this for their cameras)

the separate battery is charged when the car is on with switched power via the alternator. This keeps both systems isolated and is the safest.

(This is the type of architecture a police car would use so that radios/repeaters/computers etc can still remain online for extended periods)

Sponsored

cormiermc

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The power outlet bellow the radio turn off with the key, that’s where i plugged my dashcam. Turn on and off automatically with the key

ffoc01

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honestly, get one of the 12v to Mini USB (or micro USB, depending on dashcam) kits and wire it in to the overhead console Map light power feed. That's what I've done on my 2 current vehicles and it saves having wires run all the way around the dash. It's pin 1, Yellow/Green, on the dome light connector in the roof console. It also feeds the lights on the back of both visors.

Snax

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Honestly, get one of the 12v to Mini USB (or micro USB, depending on dashcam) kits and wire it in to the overhead console Map light power feed. That's what I've done on my 2 current vehicles and it saves having wires run all the way around the dash. It's pin 1, Yellow/Green, on the dome light connector in the roof console. It also feeds the lights on the back of both visors.
Did you have to pull back any of the trim or head liner?

ffoc01

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Last edited:

g1zstar

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL Hybrid Barebones
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Do not plug in a dashcam to the 12V. You're going to wake up to a dead battery sooner or later. (Ask me how I know)

Plug into the USB ports instead, or better yet hard wire kit.

OP
OP
dbmurray

dbmurray

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Escape Titanium
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks everyone for the info and suggestions.
Sponsored