Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hot rods, Jeeps, boats
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I purchased the items to add cruise to my XL and put it in today. Lots of good posts here and on YouTube, but there were a few small things I hadn't seen posted that I'll try to cover. Not going into ForScan, plenty of good info out there on how to use it.

This is a piece of cake, ANYONE can do this with a PC (smart phone), ForScan cable, a small flat blade screwdrive and a T8 Torx bit.

Step 1: Disconnect negative battery terminal. (I forgot until after I was done and my airbag didn't go off, LMAO.)

Step 2: turn steering wheel 90 degrees (clockwise or counter, doesn't matter).
Ford Maverick DIY photo tutorial: adding cruise control to 2022 Maverick XL 01

Step 3: Slide a SMALL flat blade screw driver into the hole in the back of the steering wheel as pictured. Handle down, blade pointed slightly upward.
Ford Maverick DIY photo tutorial: adding cruise control to 2022 Maverick XL 02

Step 4: GENTLY press the screwdriver blade down while lightly pulling on horn/airbag with your other hand. You'll be able to feel movement when you're in the right area. The horn/airbag will pull out about a 1/2 inch.

Step 5: Rotate 180 degrees and repeat.
Ford Maverick DIY photo tutorial: adding cruise control to 2022 Maverick XL 03

Here's where I think I can help others. I took a quick picture of how the horn/airbag attaches. Until you see it, it doesn't make much sense and you're just fishing. The two arrows point to the cast aluminum "hooks" that the horn/airbag secures to.

Ford Maverick DIY photo tutorial: adding cruise control to 2022 Maverick XL 04

Here you can see where the screwdriver enters the steering wheel from the backside.
Ford Maverick DIY photo tutorial: adding cruise control to 2022 Maverick XL 07

The little silver bar is spring loaded and has to be moved "down" to disengage from the "hooks" above.
Ford Maverick DIY photo tutorial: adding cruise control to 2022 Maverick XL 08

Step 6: Simply unplug your wiring from the horn/airbag (3 simple connectors) and set it aside.
Ford Maverick DIY photo tutorial: adding cruise control to 2022 Maverick XL 98

Step 7: Remove the outer ring by GENTLY prying these tangs away. Yes, they will break. Lightly pull the ring toward you while freeing up the tabs. Note: only two are silver. There are several more black ones that look similar. It may be easier to rotate the wheel to find them all. A flashlight will probably help. Remove the two wire connectors from either side of the ring.
Ford Maverick DIY photo tutorial: adding cruise control to 2022 Maverick XL 09

Also, there are two small posts hidden under the trim at the bottom of the wheel. Be gentle and they'll work right out.
Ford Maverick DIY photo tutorial: adding cruise control to 2022 Maverick XL 10

I neglected to take a pic of the back of the switches. Note, you can "kind of" use a Torx 10 bit but the screws are actually smaller, I'm guessing a T8. I didn't have one handy.

Grabbed the following switches off of Rock Auto, like $80 shipped, I think.
Ford Maverick DIY photo tutorial: adding cruise control to 2022 Maverick XL 11

Grabbed this from Amazon.
Ford Maverick DIY photo tutorial: adding cruise control to 2022 Maverick XL 12

I downloaded ForScan, paid $12 to help them and access the programming menus. Following YouTube tutorials I had everything done in about 40 minutes.

Viola, it works great.
Ford Maverick DIY photo tutorial: adding cruise control to 2022 Maverick XL 13

Yes, you can do this.

[EDIT:] @Maverick2023 made an excellent video tutorial for XL Hybrid here:

Most of it applies to the EcoBoost too, except a few codes are different in ForScan between the two engine choices.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
daddio211

daddio211

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hot rods, Jeeps, boats
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Awesome awesome write up thanks for the detailed photos and explanations - posts like these make this forum great
Happy to help!

OP
OP
daddio211

daddio211

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hot rods, Jeeps, boats
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Stive

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper, Lexus RX350, Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I purchased the items to add cruise to my XL and put it in today. Lots of good posts here and on YouTube, but there were a few small things I hadn't seen posted that I'll try to cover. Not going into ForScan, plenty of good info out there on how to use it.

This is a piece of cake, ANYONE can do this with a PC (smart phone), ForScan cable, a small flat blade screwdrive and a T8 Torx bit. At least I think it's a T8. Your mileage may vary.

Step 1: Disconnect negative battery terminal. (I forgot until after I was done and my airbag didn't go off, LMAO.)

01.jpg

Step 3: Slide a SMALL flat blade screw driver into the hole in the back of the steering wheel as pictured. Handle down, blade pointed slightly upward.
02.jpg

Step 4: GENTLY press the screwdriver blade down while lightly pulling on horn/airbag with your other hand. You'll be able to feel movement when you're in the right area. The horn/airbag will pull out about a 1/2 inch.

03.jpg

Here's where I think I can help others. I took a quick picture of how the horn/airbag attaches. Until you see it, it doesn't make much sense and you're just fishing. The two arrows point to the cast aluminum "hooks" that the horn/airbag secures to.

04.jpg

Here you can see where the screwdriver enters the steering wheel from the backside.
07.jpg

The little silver bar is spring loaded and has to be moved "down" to disengage from the "hooks" above.
08.jpg

Step 6: Simply unplug your wiring from the horn/airbag (3 simple connectors) and set it aside.
98.jpg

Step 7: Remove the outer ring by GENTLY prying these tangs away. Yes, they will break. Lightly pull the ring toward you while freeing up the tabs. Note: only two are silver. There are several more black ones that look similar. It may be easier to rotate the wheel to find them all. A flashlight will probably help. Remove the two wire connectors from either side of the ring.
09.jpg

Also, there are two small posts hidden under the trim at the bottom of the wheel. Be gentle and they'll work right out.
10.jpg

I neglected to take a pic of the back of the switches. Note, you can "kind of" use a Torx 10 bit but the screws are actually smaller, I'm guessing a T8. I didn't have one handy.

11.jpg

12.jpg

I downloaded ForScan, paid $12 to help them and access the programming menus. Following YouTube tutorials I had everything done in about 40 minutes.

Viola, it works great.
13.jpg

Yes, you can do this.
I want to. I’ve got the parts. Don’t have the nerve yet. I need to really get Forscan procedures down. But, this is a great write up with pictures. Thanks

Sponsored

OP
OP
daddio211

daddio211

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hot rods, Jeeps, boats
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I want to. I’ve got the parts. Don’t have the nerve yet. I need to really get Forscan procedures down. But, this is a great write up with pictures. Thanks
Just do it. If you make a mistake you can return to the "as built" file.

Hybrid Nut

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

This is a piece of cake, ANYONE can do this with a PC (smart phone), ForScan cable, a small flat blade screwdrive and a T8 Torx bit. At least I think it's a T8. Your mileage may vary.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

98.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

Viola, it works great.
13.jpg

Yes, you can do this.
Great write up. Thanks for sharing. I just received my new Xl hybrid and asked the dealer if they could install cruise and they said NO it would void the warranty. I shoulda gotten an XLT i guess but at the time of ordering they said to order the most basic truck to get it sooner.. Still took over a year. Anyway any concerns about the warranty?? I may try this myself.

OP
OP
daddio211

daddio211

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hot rods, Jeeps, boats
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Great write up. Thanks for sharing. I just received my new Xl hybrid and asked the dealer if they could install cruise and they said NO it would void the warranty. I shoulda gotten an XLT i guess but at the time of ordering they said to order the most basic truck to get it sooner.. Still took over a year. Anyway any concerns about the warranty?? I may try this myself.
They can't void your warranty for adding factory parts. Granted, you can't expect them to warranty your cruise control, but they would have to prove that adding cruise broke whatever else they are denying warranty on.

If you're worried just remove the switches and go back to the Forscan "as built" file when you take your truck in for work.

I have zero concerns, I have more fight in me that most dealership employees anyway, plus I'm fairly well versed in the legalities of such. Lots of lawsuits over this sort of stuff, the vehicle owner nearly always wins.

Hybrid Nut

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I dont understand why the warranty would be void if the dealer installed the cruise?? That was my main reason for asking them first before i try it. To avoid any warranty issues. .Anyway Thanks for the feedback. i will prob add it myself in the future per your write up. .

Sponsored

glohworm

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No vehicle
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You did a great service for us with your CC and TSR write ups. I've had the switches for a while now but lacked the nerve to do the jobs! It would be like winning the trifecta if you could do a write up on Lane Keeping as well. Thanks

OP
OP
daddio211

daddio211

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hot rods, Jeeps, boats
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

You did a great service for us with your CC and TSR write ups. I've had the switches for a while now but lacked the nerve to do the jobs! It would be like winning the trifecta if you could do a write up on Lane Keeping as well. Thanks
Happy to help! I don't think lane keep can be enabled without CoPilot 360 as a base.

Personally I'd never enable it, I despise technology that "helps" me drive.

steegro

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus nx 200t
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I so badly want to do this but I can't even remove the airbag and feel like an idiot. I can't seem to find the sweet spot. Any tips?

OP
OP
daddio211

daddio211

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hot rods, Jeeps, boats
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I so badly want to do this but I can't even remove the airbag and feel like an idiot. I can't seem to find the sweet spot. Any tips?
Its just a "feel" thing. Gently pull on the airbag with one hand while fiddling with the screwdriver. You'll kind of feel when it's right and the airbag will start coming out.

cgmav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I too have had my switches for 6+ months and won't attack the airbag and software. I'm crusty, older, still have a flip phone and want somebody else to do it. I'm in St.George and would love some help. any chance you would do it ???
Sponsored