Sponsored

DIY no-weld Unistrut/Superstrut bed rack compatible with tonneau covers (partial plans included)

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid Lux
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hi all! Been lurking for a while, and thought I could actually contribute something now.

I don't have my Maverick yet, but I have been planning what I want to do for a bed cover and rack system. I want a hard folding or rollup cover, leaning toward folding for security and 100% bed access. I want to be able to transport mountain bikes using a tailgate pad, but with this short bed I can't use a cover that has a large canister in the back as the bikes wouldn't fit. I would also like to have crossbars over the bed to carry a cargo box or long items. Most of the time I would have the rack stored off of the truck and quickly install it when I need it for something specific. Given this criteria, my favorite setup out right now would be the elevate rack system. They have a height adjustable rack that slides into a T-slot on the bed rails. They also sell this T-slot adapter called the Elevate TS Rail that works with certain bed covers. However, to buy the bed cover, rail adapter, and crossbars it would cost about $2000-$2500. I think that designing my own crossbars from strut available at a hardware store would cut a lot of the cost, and is perfect since I plan on rarely using the rack.

The plan:

1. Buy the Elevate TS Rail. Post about it here, and youtube video showing how it fits with the XLT lux bed rail system here.
2. Buy tonneau cover of choice. This rack could be designed tall enough so that a folding cover can be opened fully with this rack above it.
3. Build rack according to partial plans below. I don't have my hybrid yet and will be waiting a while so I can't confidently make the dimensions. This design would be all 1 5/8" unistrut or superstrut available at about $20 for 10ft. Crossmember tying the front and rear uprights together could be added for extra stability. The 90 degree L-brackets and bolts are all available at a hardware store as well. t-slot bolts can be fastened through the feet so that they slide into the rail for quick install and removal. There would be cutting and drilling required, but no welding. What do y'all think? We could put together more detailed plans based on your feedback.

Ford Maverick DIY no-weld Unistrut/Superstrut bed rack compatible with tonneau covers (partial plans included) Scanned Documents 2
Ford Maverick DIY no-weld Unistrut/Superstrut bed rack compatible with tonneau covers (partial plans included) Scanned Documents
Sponsored

ybnormal07

First Name
Y B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Having just installed a tri-fold bed cover on the Mav, you may want to consider using a soft roll-up style cover for your design. The cover we have extends to the indent line on the rail tops on both sides, which would preclude using the elevated rails you are looking at. I would imagine with a soft roll, you could trim the necessary slots to fit around the frames you set into the elevated rails, which would still achieve your goal of using a cover with a self-made rack installed to keep costs down.
Any of the foldable covers will have a frame on the edges which when folding or unfolding would hit against the vertical rails of the rack....at least that is how I picture it from your design drawings. These cover frames would also cover the elevated rail slots so cutting to suit likely wouldn't work. Hard to say at this point, but these were my thoughts.

OP
OP
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Having just installed a tri-fold bed cover on the Mav, you may want to consider using a soft roll-up style cover for your design. The cover we have extends to the indent line on the rail tops on both sides, which would preclude using the elevated rails you are looking at. I would imagine with a soft roll, you could trim the necessary slots to fit around the frames you set into the elevated rails, which would still achieve your goal of using a cover with a self-made rack installed to keep costs down.
Any of the foldable covers will have a frame on the edges which when folding or unfolding would hit against the vertical rails of the rack....at least that is how I picture it from your design drawings. These cover frames would also cover the elevated rail slots so cutting to suit likely wouldn't work. Hard to say at this point, but these were my thoughts.
Thanks for the feedback. What cover do you have? The Elevate TS Rail says it works with hard folding covers that fit between the rails rather than on top of them. An example of one that works is the BakFlip MX4.

kw86er

First Name
KW86ER
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2L XLT FX4
I think you will need more gussets. Get yourself an 80/20 catalogue and I think you will be able to put something together a little more substantial. 80/20 will cost more but it's hard to put a price on loosing your load on the highway. Without an engineer you want to way overbuild.

OP
OP
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think you will need more gussets. Get yourself an 80/20 catalogue and I think you will be able to put something together a little more substantial. 80/20 will cost more but it's hard to put a price on loosing your load on the highway. Without an engineer you want to way overbuild.
Thanks for the feedback. I am a mechanical engineer but I haven't done any calcs on this. Maybe I will and see if the lower cost strut system will hold up against something made from 80/20. I love working with extruded aluminum like 80/20, but for the price I could just buy a pre-made rack. I have seen plenty of very sturdy builds for other trucks (F150s) using this strut material. What would be original is the T-slot interface.

Sponsored

ybnormal07

First Name
Y B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Thanks for the feedback. What cover do you have? The Elevate TS Rail says it works with hard folding covers that fit between the rails rather than on top of them. An example of one that works is the BakFlip MX4.
We bought the Gator SFX tri fold, and yes, it does sit on the bed rail tops. I'm curious if you noticed the pricing for the bakflip covers? They are typically a grand or more which kind of kills a budget approach to a rack system. Plus, the installation is quite a bit more complex and subsequently, a lot more involved to remove. Last, since you need to install rails to use these, I'm wondering about the clearance if you have the bed rail system already installed. I've had one of the Bakflip covers before and they are an excellent product, but in the end, for the price, I wouldn't purchase it again.

OP
OP
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
We bought the Gator SFX tri fold, and yes, it does sit on the bed rail tops. I'm curious if you noticed the pricing for the bakflip covers? They are typically a grand or more which kind of kills a budget approach to a rack system. Plus, the installation is quite a bit more complex and subsequently, a lot more involved to remove. Last, since you need to install rails to use these, I'm wondering about the clearance if you have the bed rail system already installed. I've had one of the Bakflip covers before and they are an excellent product, but in the end, for the price, I wouldn't purchase it again.
For me personally, the security of a hard cover is the most important factor (more than weather). I want to be able to leave stuff locked in it at a campsite or similar. If I can find a hard folding cover for substantially cheaper, I am very interested.

SkeeterB

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat Lux, 4K, FX4, 360, Velocity Blue
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Don't have the Maverick yet, but have been exercising the grey matter and researching a bed rack with already ordered trifold tonneau. Present "Plan A" includes a vertical hitch mounted bed extender, brand undecided and either a Thule or Yakima roof rack. Tonneau will fold and kayak carrier is quickly added or removed.

OP
OP
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Don't have the Maverick yet, but have been exercising the grey matter and researching a bed rack with already ordered trifold tonneau. Present "Plan A" includes a vertical hitch mounted bed extender, brand undecided and either a Thule or Yakima roof rack. Tonneau will fold and kayak carrier is quickly added or removed.
So are you going to put the kayak(s) on the roof rack or spanning from the roof rack to the bed extender?

Edge Haley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'd recommend looking at the "Angry Elephant Rack"....reviewed here earlier. Critical feature for me is it's ability to raise and lower rack height to meet different carrying needs. Also cheap!

Sponsored

SkeeterB

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat Lux, 4K, FX4, 360, Velocity Blue
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Just use the rear roof rack and span from the bed extender. Put the bow up and push the rest of the way. Can't pick the thing up anymore. Also I looked at the angry elephant and not sure. I'm waiting until I get the Mav with the Tonneau before
pulling the trigger on the rack. I don't think the Angry Elephant will work with the trifold tonneau.

OP
OP
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just use the rear roof rack and span from the bed extender. Put the bow up and push the rest of the way. Can't pick the thing up anymore. Also I looked at the angry elephant and not sure. I'm waiting until I get the Mav with the Tonneau before
pulling the trigger on the rack. I don't think the Angry Elephant will work with the trifold tonneau.
That is a good idea.

I believe that the angry elephant is actually set at the lowest position to be just taller than the cab. If that doesn’t work with a trifold, you could always raise the bars. I think it would work though, because the trifold does not exceed the height of the cab when being folded up.
Sponsored