Sponsored

DIY Gear Rack- What I had laying around edition.

Phranc68

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick, Ram 3500, Honda Odyssey
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Having spent all my cash on the truck, I did not want to drop another $1K plus on new racks and carriers for skis, bikes and gear.

The rack bars and bases I have from other vehicles do not match the roof or bed of the Maverick. I thought about various options to retro fit, bit none seemed likely for success.

Eventually I'll get a set for the bed from Yakima or Elephant but for now here it is.

I Plasti-Dipped two pieces of 2x6 cut to the width of the top of the bed. I scrounged through my collection of ski racks and bike mounts and could two that were simple to mount directly on the boards.

Clamped it place and Voila! I've already taken it on a test run and everything stayed snug.

Follow for more recipes lol.

Ford Maverick DIY Gear Rack- What I had laying around edition. PXL_20211205_164724612

Ford Maverick DIY Gear Rack- What I had laying around edition. PXL_20211205_164628244
Sponsored

Meintc

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lynette
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Having spent all my cash on the truck, I did not want to drop another $1K plus on new racks and carriers for skis, bikes and gear.

The rack bars and bases I have from other vehicles do not match the roof or bed of the Maverick. I thought about various options to retro fit, bit none seemed likely for success.

Eventually I'll get a set for the bed from Yakima or Elephant but for now here it is.

I Plasti-Dipped two pieces of 2x6 cut to the width of the top of the bed. I scrounged through my collection of ski racks and bike mounts and could two that were simple to mount directly on the boards.

Clamped it place and Voila! I've already taken it on a test run and everything stayed snug.

PXL_20211205_164724612.jpg

PXL_20211205_164628244.jpg
Very inventive. Glad it all worked

7Litre

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sonata Hybrid, 2023 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Recycle, reuse, repurpose --- I love it!

PapaDave

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT FX4 VBlue & XLT hybrid A51
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

I saw a truck like yours getting ready for delivery at Bowen Scarff on Thursday Nov, 11th. I was picking up mine that day. Any chance that was yours?

OP
OP
Phranc68

Phranc68

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I saw a truck like yours getting ready for delivery at Bowen Scarff on Thursday Nov, 11th. I was picking up mine that day. Any chance that was yours?
Indeed it was. How was your experience?

Sponsored

PapaDave

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT FX4 VBlue & XLT hybrid A51
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Indeed it was. How was your experience?
Good. I had just picked mine up as they were backing yours in the front. Got to pick up the license plates tomorrow.

scourgio

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT (first ever truck)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks for posting this. I have a Maverick on order and I've been planning to do something to retrofit my existing load bars onto it. Like many others, I don't have the truck yet. I keep thinking of ideas, but without the truck, I don't know what will fit. I'm happy to see somebody has already done it. How did you plasti-dip the 2x6's? I was planning to just paint them.

OP
OP
Phranc68

Phranc68

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks for posting this. I have a Maverick on order and I've been planning to do something to retrofit my existing load bars onto it. Like many others, I don't have the truck yet. I keep thinking of ideas, but without the truck, I don't know what will fit. I'm happy to see somebody has already done it. How did you plasti-dip the 2x6's? I was planning to just paint them.
I plasti-dipped them in an attempt to protect them and provide a bit a texture. However I think just painting would be more than sufficient and much easier.

wax87

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Avalon
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Love it, but you need to put a dummy on the bike LOL
Sponsored