Sponsored

ebxltfwd

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost XLT Carbonized Gray
I hope this is helpful for people looking to DIY a bed mat. I purchased the horse stall mat from Tractor Supply ($47.00). Uncut, the mat is 4' x 6' x 3/4" and weighs a hefty 94lbs. I thought about using power tools to cut it, but after doing some brief Youtube research, I decided to cut it with a utility knife. It takes multiple passes with a new blade to cut through the material, but it wasn't too much work.

Ford Maverick DIY Bed Mat made from a Horse Stall Mat IMG_6381.JPG

The main thing you need to do is cut the mat to the length of the bed, cut out the sections for the wheel wells, and then cut out to pieces for the tie downs near the front of the bed. To get a clean cut for the tie downs section, I used a forstner bit on the corners.

Ford Maverick DIY Bed Mat made from a Horse Stall Mat IMG_6385.JPG

Ford Maverick DIY Bed Mat made from a Horse Stall Mat IMG_6388.JPG

I also used a belt sander to break the sharp edges and round the back corners.

Ford Maverick DIY Bed Mat made from a Horse Stall Mat IMG_6391.JPG

That's basically it. It took about a couple of hours of work to plan and make all the cuts. Here it is in the truck:

Ford Maverick DIY Bed Mat made from a Horse Stall Mat IMG_6395.JPG
Ford Maverick DIY Bed Mat made from a Horse Stall Mat IMG_6396.JPG
Sponsored

Mrdon2022maverick

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat
I hope this is helpful for people looking to DIY a bed mat. I purchased the horse stall mat from Tractor Supply ($47.00). Uncut, the mat is 4' x 6' x 3/4" and weighs a hefty 94lbs. I thought about using power tools to cut it, but after doing some brief Youtube research, I decided to cut it with a utility knife. It takes multiple passes with a new blade to cut through the material, but it wasn't too much work.

IMG_6381.JPG

The main thing you need to do is cut the mat to the length of the bed, cut out the sections for the wheel wells, and then cut out to pieces for the tie downs near the front of the bed. To get a clean cut for the tie downs section, I used a forstner bit on the corners.

IMG_6385.JPG

IMG_6388.JPG

IMG_6391.JPG

That's basically it. It took about a couple of hours of work to plan and make all the cuts. Here it is in the truck:

IMG_6395.JPG
IMG_6396.JPG
LOOKS GREAT!!!

jc888888888

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat eco boost, Mustang Mach E , Porsche Boxster
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This is what this forum is about ! ,that is great idea and a great job. It has to be durable with 1500 lb horses walking on it NICE JOB

Sponsored

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Those mats make up my entire 3 car shop floor! Although I have some bigger older ones in the mix aswell. When you dont have concrete they work alright. Looks good!

Guilla

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Velocity Blue Hybrid XLT w/Lux
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Wow thanks for sharing this. Another great solution.

OP
OP
ebxltfwd

ebxltfwd

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost XLT Carbonized Gray
I did that with my old Ford Ranger but I used a big piece of cardboard for the template and cut it with a jig saw.
I thought about using a jigsaw or circular saw, but saw one video where someone said it didn't work well. Once I had a scrap piece, I put it through the band saw as a test and it cut pretty well, so I think the jigsaw would be a viable option.

HappyCat

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT-4k tow-FX4-Iconic Silver
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
As a horse owner I knew this would be a good option. Though i am also considering wash stall mats, for better drainage. They call them anti-fatigue, but we use them in the horse wash stall for good traction.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/anti-fatigue-interlocking-mat?cm_vc=-10005

Here's links to the solid stall mats TSC has:

4' x 6' x 3/4 inch thick: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/4-ft-x-6-ft-x-3-4-in-thick-rubber-stall-mat?cm_vc=-10005

3' x 4' x 1/2 inch thick: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/utility-rubber-mat-black-4-ft-x-3-ft-x--frac12-in

Sponsored

Delzona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Breakout, 21 Road King Special, 22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

IMG_6381.JPG

IMG_6385.JPG

IMG_6388.JPG

IMG_6391.JPG

IMG_6395.JPG
IMG_6396.JPG
That a seriously great idea and mat! When I read that the mat weighted 94 lbs. I couldn't believe it, then reading another post about a 1500 horse standing on it, I understood why it's so heavy.

Last edited:

gclmav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022Maverick,87 zuzu Trooper 2Dr. Gr.Vitara Xsport
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

IMG_6381.JPG

IMG_6385.JPG

IMG_6388.JPG

IMG_6391.JPG

IMG_6395.JPG
IMG_6396.JPG
Great job, hope I can do this if I ever get my MAV

shizelbs

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Holy heck that's a heavy solution to lining the bed.

Mavhead

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan versa
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I thought about this a few months ago and I think it will be a great option for my truck that I didn't order with the luxury package. Thanks for confirming that and giving me cutting ideas on what will work.

This is better than I could have imagined.
Sponsored