First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Nissan Frontier
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Excellent innovation. When you take out the lower part of the original air filter you will be able to see where is got it's air from and it could provide you your source of fresh air. Please update when you can.

Sponsored

jmcgon237

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Nissan Frontier
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks. Here's where the original intake pulls air from. Inlet looks to be behind the upper grille area and then it is routed to the filter housing:
IMG_6557 (1).jpg

Here's the part of that which I had to remove for my filter to fit, this is just a downward tube to direct air beneath the OEM filter:
IMG_6558 (1).jpg

As you can see below, the entire upper portion of the grille is molded solid, so no air coming in here. I'm hoping to open up the inlets in the between the grille bars so air can flow directly into the enclosure that I make. I'm not 100% sure if it will work as I'm planning though. I'll have a better idea of what exactly is going on under/behind all of this plastic once I remove it.
IMG_6559 (1).jpg
A lesson I learned from a similar attempt years ago. Make sure rain and snow doesn't have direct access to the filter. Wet snow was my downfall. I was thinking thru the hurdles that need resolved. Ford got cooler fresh air from outside the engine bay (without the snow) but needed piping to get that accomplished. I would also assume that when driving, Ford's air cleaner intake pipe even has air forced in from the air coming thru the lower grill. Have fun working out all the issues.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Nice work. How does it run? Any noticeable difference in power?

Here's a link to a video on grille removal.

WasChops

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz Ltd + Maverick Lariat Hybr
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I recently put together the first part of my custom intake, thought I'd share my progress as I go.

Parts used:
Spectre Performance SPE-9429 3" 22º Aluminum Elbow
Airaid 700-492 Universal Clamp-On Air Filter
Everbilt 1/2 in. Black Neoprene Grommet-812028

Tools required:
7mm socket for OEM hose clamp
Pry tools or flathead screw driver
Whichever size socket you need for your filter, in my case this was an 8mm
5/8" hole saw bit

I happened to find this particular filter on eBay for ~$25 so that's why I went with it, most universal filters with a 3" inner flange diameter will work, but here are the dimensions of the filter that I used for your reference. Fitment is pretty tight with the 8" tall filter, a 6-7" would likely be ideal.

Shape: Round Tapered
Flange ID: 3 in (76mm)
Filter Height: 8 in (203mm)
Filter Base Ø: 6 in (152mm)
Filter Top Ø: 4.625 in (117mm)

First, you will need to drill a hole in the Spectre elbow for the sensor. I used a 5/8" hole saw bit.

Next, insert the grommet into the newly drilled hole.

You can now remove the factory intake lid and filter. I disconnected and removed the sensor first. For the lid of the filter housing, there are two clips towards the driver's side fender, the factory hose clamp can be loosened with a 7mm socket. Part of the tube that directs fresh air into the intake box will also need to be removed, this has two small clips. I just used a small pry tool to remove this piece.

After removing the upper portion of the OEM intake, you can insert the elbow, insert and re-connect the sensor, attach the filter and tighten in place. I left the lower part of the OEM intake enclosure in place to support the filter for now.

For Part 2 I will be making a heat shield/enclosure, and eventually a Part 3 in which I hope to rework the upper grille to direct even more fresh air to the custom enclosure. I realized at the end that I did not take any in-progress pictures, sorry about that! It's pretty simple to get to this point, the next steps will be more involved so I plan to document those in greater detail. The truck was happy with the new intake, no check engine lights or odd driving characteristics. The added sound is great but not obnoxious by any means. There seems to be a noticeable improvement in throttle response but I have no definitive proof of any added gains. Total cost all-in thus far is just under $50.

View attachment 20256 View attachment 20257 View attachment 20258 View attachment 20259
Curious what is the performance increase with this mod?

john218

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL, Mercedes C300
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I recently put together the first part of my custom intake, thought I'd share my progress as I go.

Parts used:

Tools required:
5/8" hole saw bit

I happened to find this particular filter on eBay for ~$25 so that's why I went with it, most universal filters with a 3" inner flange diameter will work, but here are the dimensions of the filter that I used for your reference. Fitment is pretty tight with the 8" tall filter, a 6-7" would likely be ideal.

First, you will need to drill a hole in the Spectre elbow for the sensor. I used a 5/8" hole saw bit.

You can now remove the factory intake lid and filter. I disconnected and removed the sensor first. For the lid of the filter housing, there are two clips towards the driver's side fender, the factory hose clamp can be loosened with a 7mm socket. Part of the tube that directs fresh air into the intake box will also need to be removed, this has two small clips. I just used a small pry tool to remove this piece.

After removing the upper portion of the OEM intake, you can insert the elbow, insert and re-connect the sensor, attach the filter and tighten in place. I left the lower part of the OEM intake enclosure in place to support the filter for now.

For Part 2 I will be making a heat shield/enclosure, and eventually a Part 3 in which I hope to rework the upper grille to direct even more fresh air to the custom enclosure. I realized at the end that I did not take any in-progress pictures, sorry about that! It's pretty simple to get to this point, the next steps will be more involved so I plan to document those in greater detail. The truck was happy with the new intake, no check engine lights or odd driving characteristics. The added sound is great but not obnoxious by any means. There seems to be a noticeable improvement in throttle response but I have no definitive proof of any added gains. Total cost all-in thus far is just under $50.

View attachment 20256 View attachment 20257 View attachment 20258 View attachment 20259
Looking forward to parts 2 and 3!!:rolleyes:

Sjbuck2021

Banned
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Frontier /2018 Acura RDX
Curious what is the performance increase with this mod?
More intake noise along with the road noise isn't what I want. I'm sure the few hp gain isn't going to make much difference. To each his own.

Sponsored

jpage8645

First Name
Jeremy Page
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150, 1973 Maverick, 2012 Tundra, 2020 F250

Parts used:

Tools required:
5/8" hole saw bit

You can also use this air filter for 1/2 the cost. Spectre Performance SPE-9732 Universal Clamp-On Air Filter: Round Tapered; 3 in/3.5 in/4 in (102 mm/89 mm/76 mm) Flange ID; 8.75 in (222 mm) Height; 6 in (152 mm) Base; 4.75 in (121 mm) Top

Sjbuck2021

Banned
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Frontier /2018 Acura RDX
Nice work. How does it run? Any noticeable difference in power?

Here's a link to a video on grille removal.

We it screw up emissions test?

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
We it screw up emissions test?
Supposedly not. It's a simple, non destructive install. If you fail, just put the old parts back. However, there has been some debate as to whether you will invalidate your factory warranty. I wouldn't go to the dealer for service sporting that.

LC48

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT, AWD, Carbonized Gray. Highlander Lim
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Same here, used a 3" SS coupler normally used to connect silicone hoses, an Injen X-1058-BB filter, with a hydro-shield cover, and knocked up a quick brace from some AL bar stock. Drilled the SS coupler to 11/16 for the 1/2" grommet. Filter is a dry type, and is worth the extra money
Left the upper factory intake piping as did OP.

Time about 2 hours, cost with the Injen Filter just shy of $90.
SS coupler

Injen filter

Ford Maverick - 20211128_140034

Ford Maverick - 20211128_140256
Sponsored