First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Edge
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You can bet this will affect the warrantee.
Sponsored

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Is the longer filter causing problems?

As for the heat shield, do you have intake air temp readings? Seems to be if you leave the plastic part of the intake that goes to the front of the grille, it should funnel cool air toward the filter. Buscher didn't think it was an issue because the problem area is at the intercooler not the intake air.

Charles

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Edge
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
amazing how some people know more than the engineers that design these vehicles. I guess it's an expensive hobby.

• Haha
Reactions: JJC

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
amazing how some people know more than the engineers that design these vehicles. I guess it's an expensive hobby.
Most of the stuff the modders use is not new, they just adapt it. But hey, if somebody can figure out a way to get another 30 hp, more power to them. It's their money.

Any factory engine is going to be set up to cause the least amount of headaches for the manufacturer but that doesn't mean you can't safely squeeze more performance or efficiency out of it.

LC48

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT, AWD, Carbonized Gray. Highlander Lim
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

You can bet this will affect the warrantee.
Nope.
Magnuson Moss warranty act - read it.

My filter out performs the factory paper in both filtering efficiency and flow, the data is out there for those that choose to learn.

If you are not into this type of thing why do you need to come in to the thread and grump? You wanna keep it bone stock, have at it - it's your truck and not my business...

Sponsored

Evil2ltr

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Alto Blue Maverick XLT AWD
Nope.
Magnuson Moss warranty act - read it.

My filter out performs the factory paper in both filtering efficiency and flow, the data is out there for those that choose to learn.

If you are not into this type of thing why do you need to come in to the thread and grump? You wanna keep it bone stock, have at it - it's your truck and not my business...
No sh*t man..People tinker and enjoy modding their vehicles. I have never seen a larger contingent of NON car people on a vehicle forum in all my years than here. That is even ok, but to dog others because they want to get more from their vehicle, smh.

Evil2ltr

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Alto Blue Maverick XLT AWD
No problems other than the size, it nearly touches the headlight. My original plan was to basically copy this enclosure and lid (lid not pictured) but this intake pictured uses a much shorter filter.
1638310320242.png
Dig the design.

Buzz_Bronski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT AWD FX4
Just installed this last night with the elbow and grommet from the first post. I used the AEM Dry flow filter as I've used it before with good results on my Miata. Instead of a hole saw I used this Step Drill Bit and it was extremely easy and clean. Reinstalling original air box should be a breeze.

Low end response has definitely improved and it does feel like it wants to move easier once you lay into it, but nothing crazy. Intake noise isn't as great as I thought it was going to be. Engine still sounds like it just groans and overall tractor-y. You do hear turbo whoosh but it's on the quiet end. But you can definitely hear it pulling in air when you get into it.

Would probably do again but this engine noise is meh.

22Mav

Banned
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT/Lariat.. Undecided still :O
You have any updates on that enclosure? Figured I’d ask since you have about a dozen other projects going now 🤣

22Mav

Banned
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was also thinking one might be able to modify the OEM enclosure to basically house that cone filter and elbow. just turn down the angle and filter you have now and trim the lid to fit over it. Well maybe not that exact filter as you said it’s huge.

Obviously a drop in filter would be most simple but I’d think the cone filter having much more area would be even better.

Reactions: JJC
Sponsored

Brostang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 R.I.P.
I got my enclosure design finalized, should have it finished up next week.

It’s taken a little while because I initially made a cardboard mockup, then I modeled the box in cad. I did that so I could send the flat pattern DXF files to sendcutsend and get precise, laser cut parts. Those shipped out yesterday so I hope to have everything I need by ~Tuesday/Wednesday 🤟
Awesome! If the fit/function is satisfactory, any chance you would share the cut plans for others to diy?

22Mav

Banned
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That would definitely be an option. I didn’t want to cut up my intake just in case I need to return everything to stock. I doubt I’ll ever need to, but just in case.

I’d try and find a replacement lid before cutting up your OEM lid though. 1.5L or 2.0L Bronco Sport or Escape all have the same air box/lid as our 2.0L Maverick I believe.
Sweet, are the boxes the same between Hybrid and Ecoboos
Awesome! If the fit/function is satisfactory, any chance you would share the cut plans for others to diy?
Message K&N or any other intake manufacturer and see if they’ll send you cut files, bet you don’t even get a response.

All kidding aside, If I were him I wouldn’t just hand out files to something I spent hours/days creating… especially if it’s as clean as his other mods have been. Companies spend big bux on their R&D. I’d charge at least $50 for the plans if I were making something of this nature 🤷‍♂️

Brostang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 R.I.P.
Sweet, are the boxes the same between Hybrid and Ecoboos

Message K&N or any other intake manufacturer and see if they’ll send you cut files, bet you don’t even get a response.

All kidding aside, If I were him I wouldn’t just hand out files to something I spent hours/days creating… especially if it’s as clean as his other mods have been. Companies spend big bux on their R&D. I’d charge at least $50 for the plans if I were making something of this nature 🤷‍♂️
Yeah man, I get you. At the end of the day though, this isn't a platform where a significant number of people would want to do diy intake work, and of those that do, not everyone would feel the need for an enclosed box.

Plus, some people are just in it for the fun of modding and sharing ideas with the car community. I mean, JJC did open up by sharing all the details of his intake setup in its current form. No harm in asking questions.

14mustangNJ

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT FX4, 2014 Ford Mustang
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
One thing I would recommend is datalogging when upgrading to an intake like this. Torque app if it has it or any tuner apps, using a SCT tuner with a laptop, etc to monitor fuel trims and the air to fuel ratios, etc

From my experience in N/A engines, they often required a tune when upgrading to an intake like this, not only to see larger gains but also to prevent a either lean or rich conditions occurring. Maybe the ecoboost can adjust well as I don’t have experience there but I’ve seen on other engines suffer more often than not a lean condition, usually months after the intake install in a situation of high heat, AC usage or prolonged highway driving. The lean condition was noticeable with engine stumbling and loss of power...and running higher octane doesn’t fix those problems. Lean often equals a blown motor from what I’ve seen on boosted applications hence why I’ve been hesitant to supercharge my mustang in particular. A rich condition wasn’t uncommon initially after installing an intake until the computer adjusted also.

Just wanted to point this out as I understand the why but their is risk here too. Everything may look good initially but Ford engineers typically do a good job on intake design to handle both performance and year-round conditions. In other words, I wouldn’t toss your stock intake in the trash and would keep it around just in case, especially if you’ll be driving in a hot climate next summer. Definitely worth datalogging as stated to ensure there aren’t any issues or talking to a reputable tuner to make sure.

Killjoyken

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Ford F250
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The nice thing about the Maverick is that it doesn't use a MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor. Installing an intake on a MAF equipped car can change the airflow around the MAF that could cause a lean condition. I'm assuming the Maverick uses a MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) sensor so installing an intake is simply removing a restriction.
Sponsored