mav_can

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3, 2018 Mustang EB Premium
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
People complaining about not having crappy native voice recognition (developed 5+ years ago) in a 20-24k truck. This is why we can’t have nice things. A lot of respect to Ford for putting in *exactly* what I want, just give me my *wired* CarPlay and just let me use Siri.

My current vehicle has all the bells and whistles, voice recognition (never use it, it’s worse than Siri of course), wireless CarPlay (my single biggest tic with the car, holy moly what a pain to use when switching drivers, back to the Stone Age of Bluetooth pairing issues, and lag), factory nav (Google/Apple Maps/Waze look and function 100x better and you don’t pay $100/yr for outdated maps), trust me folks we don’t want legacy automakers competing with the likes of Google and Apple that do UI for a business.
Sponsored

snowcatxx87

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1290SDR EVO / Tiger 900RP / 300cc Grom / Surron
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I hate wireless Carplay. I'm not against having it as an option but on my BMW it's laggy as hell, heats up my phone (iphone 12), kills my battery, and is generally a terrible experience compared to the wired Carplay I had in my previous Hyundai. Worst of all on BMWs you HAVE to use wireless, even if you plug in the wire it doesn't care and forces you to go wireless.
I don't think many people who wish for Wireless CarPlay, have actually used it. You nailed it. Same with Audi. My phone gets so hot, drains the battery, as it uses WiFi to stream, data to stream music, map and navs. It's horrendous. Get the phone on a wireless charging pad? The phone will turn off from overheating. Have it in a case? You will have a nuclear brick haha.

Plug in the phone, boom done. So much better. (Audi will use the cable)

austinzone

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
i have wireless carplay as a china addon to my porsche (its a daughter board and some ribbon cables with a control box).

when it works i love it. never have an issue with the phone - even on long road trips.

Sponsored

deadeye

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I hate wireless Carplay. I'm not against having it as an option but on my BMW it's laggy as hell, heats up my phone (iphone 12), kills my battery, and is generally a terrible experience compared to the wired Carplay I had in my previous Hyundai. Worst of all on BMWs you HAVE to use wireless, even if you plug in the wire it doesn't care and forces you to go wireless.
Amen!
Copper to copper wire connections are always better than wireless (more efficient, less heat, less interference, faster data speed, cost, etc, etc).

Only had 1 wireless charging phone, and will never use one again. It was less than 50% efficient, and all the extra energy turned into heating up my phone battery, which is bad for battery life, and melted internal glue holding internal phone antennas in place which caused wifi and bluetooth to not work quite right after all the wireless charging.

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Amen!
Copper to copper wire connections are always better than wireless (more efficient, less heat, less interference, faster data speed, cost, etc, etc).

Only had 1 wireless charging phone, and will never use one again. It was less than 50% efficient, and all the extra energy turned into heating up my phone battery, which is bad for battery life, and melted internal glue holding internal phone antennas in place which caused wifi and bluetooth to not work quite right after all the wireless charging.
FWIW I almost exclusively wirelessly charge my iPhone, it’s great, no heat issues, battery health is still 99% after 3 months. Maybe you got a bad mix of device and charger.

But anyway, I’d rather have only wired carplay than only wireless carplay. But the option to toggle either option on or off would be preferable.

My commute is super short, or grocery run and food pickup and jaunts in Town are 10 minutes away. Just getting in and driving my hybrid lariat all wirelessly, leaving my phone and keys in my pocket or bag, is the goal for me. I’m blowing too much money on all this lol

PeteMaverick

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
This device will connect your Apple Car Play wirelessly even though Sync 3 requires the wire.

Gullzway

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Ford Mustang Fastback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I cant believe they do not have wireless Apple Car Play or Android Auto. I had that on the base model 2019 Tuscon work car.
I don't care for wireless AA/Carplay myself. But I do find it interesting that the Base Tuscon comes with an 8" screen and Wireless AA/Carplay. The Limited Tuscon for $10k more has a 10" screen and NO Wireless AA/Carplay.
Sponsored