Sponsored

Depreciation- How much will a Maverick lose in value when you drive it off the lot ?

Big_T

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Falcon first

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3, BMW M235 coupe
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Trucks in general do not depreciate like cars. Before Covid the Tacoma was the No. 2 vehicle for retained value at around 70% after 5 years, I think the 4 Runner was No. 1.

Last edited:

sdr.speng

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You say both “current market” and “for a long time”. That’s a lot of faith that vehicle market won’t stabilize or change from the crisis point we’re in now?
You are correct - but you have to admit that the auto market over the last ten years has changed! When I was a young buyer, the moment you drove the "New" vehicle off the lot - the vehicle's value was around 50%-60% of what you just paid for it ten minutes ago. Truck's and SUV's hold their value these days and 99% of the time are worth more than you paid for them year later. I understand there could and probably will be a drop in the auto market pricing in the next couple of years, but I feel the Truck/SUV market will hold it's own and won't drop nearly as much as the rest or not at all.

Tx_actual

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Telluride, Ford F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I bought a Kia telluride in Feb ‘20 for 39k. The dealer is offering 42k now if I trade it in. All depends on the market and demand.

Sponsored

altomav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Keven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick, '71 GMC
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I wouldn't be surprised if after 5 years of average use, it only drops in value 15%.

MaximilianPaul

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Having not been able to actually see one yet, I have been operating under the risky assumption that if I get mine (early Oct build date) and immediately think it's overrated or won't do what I need, I'll try and keep the mileage down and get it sold back to someone for at least what I paid, arguing that the ultimate buyer didn't have to play the waiting game that we all are currently - I can offer immediate satisfaction at that point. Granted, I got it in orange, it's the 2.0L, and it has a handful of options said next buyer may not be that interested in, BUT the truck market looks so hot in these next few months that I don't think I'll lose (aside from maybe some hair) if it comes to that.

I agree with others, though, I'm counting on absolutely loving the thing!! I just hope I can fully enjoy it before government overreach makes it impossible to get gas for it, though...

FirstFord

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I know, I KNOW, you was kiddin, but that's not how that works.

Going with $20,000 new..
Year 1 value assuming 20% depreciation = $16,000
Year 2 value assuming another 20% depreciation = $12,800
Year 3 value assuming another 20% depreciation = $10,240
Year 4 value assuming another 20% depreciation = $8,192
Year 5 value assuming another 20% depreciation = $6,553.6
or more succintly, 0.8 raised to the power 5... 32.77% of initial value :p

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You are correct - but you have to admit that the auto market over the last ten years has changed! When I was a young buyer, the moment you drove the "New" vehicle off the lot - the vehicle's value was around 50%-60% of what you just paid for it ten minutes ago. Truck's and SUV's hold their value these days and 99% of the time are worth more than you paid for them year later. I understand there could and probably will be a drop in the auto market pricing in the next couple of years, but I feel the Truck/SUV market will hold it's own and won't drop nearly as much as the rest or not at all.
I also wonder if this value-holding primarily applies to “work-type” or “work-capable” used truck market. I do hope the Maverick value is lumped in with that category.

Another thing is inflation is like 3-4% per year, so after 3 years your vehicle may be able to be sold for 15% below the price you paid, but it’s more like you’re only getting back 75%of the “value” from when you bought it since the dollar has inflated, in this hypotethical example. Maybe an economist could reality check that for me but just another thought.

In any case I do hope it holds its value, and it seems a lot of that value will be based on the relative price and availability of new models in the years to come.

altomav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Keven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick, '71 GMC
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I know, I KNOW, you was kiddin, but that's not how that works.

Going with $20,000 new..
Year 1 value assuming 20% depreciation = $16,000
Year 2 value assuming another 20% depreciation = $12,800
Year 3 value assuming another 20% depreciation = $10,240
Year 4 value assuming another 20% depreciation = $8,192
Year 5 value assuming another 20% depreciation = $6,553.6
If you're a business owner and do your own taxes, that's the way to do it.

Sponsored

2022MAVERICKAWDCT

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 FORD MAVERICK XLT AWD FX4 4K Tow
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Based on basic supply and demand logic, the hybrids seem like a contender to retain a higher market value.

...of course time will tell if the Mav is a Fix or Repair Daily, or a First on Race Day variety.
Don't forget FORD also means: "Found On Road Dead" :)

HPR

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I just sold my 2016 Chevy Colorado to Carvana for $3000 more than I paid for it new back in 2016! I was also told that if I ended up not wanting one I ordered, they would just put it on their lot, increase the price by $3000 and sell it off their lot. So, yes, at this point, I think you could probably pick it up, drive it off the lot, sell it and make money! Now, six months to a year from now, all that could change!
Thus why I'm buying a new maverick cheaper than 2017 colorados in my area similarly equipped. o_O

zeketolliver

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hyundai Tuscon NLine
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

FirstFord

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yeah....I know that one too...

Kinda want to leave a little bit of hope....
Hey, I drove a Fix It Again Tony for years and across country four times without any problems.

It's all about the model, not the brand. Also back then, 1073 model, we were expected to maintain our cars, not just drive them.

Dfw Maverick

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 ford maverick fx4
I bought my f150 early February of 2021 for 44k sold almost a year later at 45k I gained value. 🙃 now the same dealership is asking to buy my maverick back for 33k when I bought it for 29k lol 😆 😂
Sponsored