First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Focus ST, 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So I was reading up on how to set the keypad code and saw that there was a "wallet card" with a default code with the owners manual (I was reading the manual online). I pulled out the manual, still wrapped in plastic, and saw that the VIN on the manual was not my trucks VIN but was apparently for a CG XLT that was on Chapmans lot same time as mine. I guess they mixed them up. I figured the default code for that truck wouldn't work for mine but it did, and I was able to set my keypad code.

So, does that mean these codes work on ANY Maverick?
Sponsored

Maverick2023

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So I was reading up on how to set the keypad code and saw that there was a "wallet card" with a default code with the owners manual (I was reading the manual online). I pulled out the manual, still wrapped in plastic, and saw that the VIN on the manual was not my trucks VIN but was apparently for a CG XLT that was on Chapmans lot same time as mine. I guess they mixed them up. I figured the default code for that truck wouldn't work for mine but it did, and I was able to set my keypad code.

what is the default code?

NewBernWolf

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lynda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Possibly. That would allow a level of access to your vehicle prior to you taking ownership. Once you change your code, presumably the other code won't work anymore.

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Here's a similar story.

I bought a couple of 4-dial brass combination locks at Home Depot. They were both set to a default combination of 0-0-0-0 and came with printed instructions on how to set my own combination.

That seemed pretty normal to me.

OP
OP
JibbersCrabst

JibbersCrabst

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Here's a similar story.

I bought a couple of 4-dial brass combination locks at Home Depot. They were both set to a default combination of 0-0-0-0 and came with printed instructions on how to set my own combination.

That seemed pretty normal to me.
If the codes are universal though, that could be a security issue. Many people presumably won't ever use the keypad or change from the default code. Also, I followed the steps to set my own code and the default one still works in addition to the code I set. Still trying to figure out if there's a way to remove the default.

Sponsored

Whitenight

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat, 2021 Bronco Sport Badlands
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Possibly. That would allow a level of access to your vehicle prior to you taking ownership. Once you change your code, presumably the other code won't work anymore.
No, the factory code remains. You just have the ability to add another code to the one programmed at the factory. When you go to program your own code, you need to type in the default factory code first to add another one.

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If the codes are universal though, that could be a security issue. Many people presumably won't ever use the keypad or change from the default code. Also, I followed the steps to set my own code and the default one still works in addition to the code I set. Still trying to figure out if there's a way to remove the default.
If the default code remains active then that's a problem.

Entry codes are 5 digit, and there are only 5 possibilities for each digit. (Because 1 & 2 are the same button, 3 & 4 are the same button, etc.) So there are at most 3,125 possible combinations. (Probably less because Ford discourages combos with all the same number, numbers in sequential order, etc.)

So doubtless there will be duplicate default codes. But, if they were chosen randomly, it seems really unlikely that two identical ones would be at the same dealer at the same time.

Something seems odd here. I hope you can find out what's going on and let us know.

jwilson

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PENDING MAV XLT/Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ford Maverick Default keypad codes not unique? combination-luggage

pmoore

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

I guarantee you that they all do not use the same default code from the factory. My guess is that there was the incorrect VIN posted on the manual. The dealer doesn't even know what the default code would be without that code card.

Naranjita

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
NAH-RON-EE-TAH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I guarantee you that they all do not use the same default code from the factory. My guess is that there was the incorrect VIN posted on the manual. The dealer doesn't even know what the default code would be without that code card.
This is what I'm thinking too.

Sponsored
OP
OP
JibbersCrabst

JibbersCrabst

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm sure it was a dealership mix up on the manual for multiple reasons. The VIN on my manual is for a Cactus Gray XLT, there was a CG XLT on the lot with mine. The window sticker for the CG one was sitting in my truck, and the key tag for my keys had my VIN but said "cactus gray" for the color. Someone just mixed stuff up. Also the sales person had to go into the dealership to get my manual because it wasn't in the glove box. All of that points toward a manual mix-up, but the code on the card with that manual works on my truck. Weird right?

whtnrdy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'05 AWD Astro, '90 G20 Van, '22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The dealer wouldn't release the car to me without us setting up a few things, including changing the door code.
Sponsored