First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick & 94 Silverado
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
BUYERS establish Value. If there are No Buyers, there is No Value ! If several people offered you $100K for your Maverick, would you DEMAND they they pay less ? I have not purchased a new car in decades. They should offer classes to learn about all the bells and Hybrid stuff. I have put almost 300 miles on mine, just over the first weekend. I am feeling Guilty, I should have paid more !

Ford Maverick Dealers selling "used" new Mavericks Mav 1
Sponsored

Jackshitknows

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick 22
I talked with a salesman from Crestview Ford here in Florida about a XLT he had listed for $41k. Red, ecoboost with no other options. He told me the dealership is ā€œpayingā€ $10k over MSRP at an auction for these trucks. Didnā€™t say what kind of auction.
True auctions are brutal and are the ones creating inflation ā€¦ when there is nothing to sell ā€¦

mr mojo risen

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, 2020 VW Passat, 2015 Nissan Sentra
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I use to deliver vehicles for Paul Miller back when I was in college. Was a sweet job.
Coolā€¦ were you at UK or Transylvania?

James St. Patrick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 FORD MAVERICK Velocity Blue Ecoboost AWD
What really grinds my gears is seeing dealers that have gamed the system, and are selling USED Mavericks with like 15 miles for 10K plus over MSRP. Seems highly likely some of these dealers had employees and/or family members order new Mavericks, then immediately sell them right back to the dealer so they could mark them up and make a substantial profit under the radar of Ford's corporate gaze. (Something to be aware of @Ford Motor Company, not that I expect anything is really going to change in the near future.)

Crestview Ford in Florida is doing that very thing right now with both a Maverick XLT ($11.6K markup), a Mustang Mach-e GT ($16.5k markup), a Bronco Wildtrack ($17k markup), and a F-250 Lariat ($25.4k markup). All have less than 100 miles on the odometer according to the website listing, in most cases, less than 20 miles, yet they are listed as USED.

As so many real customers are waiting on their orders to be built by Ford, it is utter BS that dealers are getting away with these actions that are taking production capacity away from paying customers that have been patiently waiting for many months, in some cases more than a year.

I love my Maverick. I love the Mustang Mach-e. I love the 750% profit I made on Ford stock back during the recession. I love that Ford did not accept bailout money during that time. But the greedy actions of dealers with their unspoken ADMs (until the last minute) and excessive Doc Fees ($995 in some cases) is really souring me on the Ford brand lately. Luckily though there is no other brand with a lineup that can compare to the Maverick AND Mach-e.
I sold my 1st Maverick with 10,300 miles to a dealer for about $4k over MSRP because my original order was finally built. Their mark up was $8k over MSRP. The truck sold in about 10 days.

Not sure why some want to believe the dealers are being shady or had some scheme to acquire used Mavericks. I am certain every owner that sold their Mavericks to dealers made a profit, just like the dealer are doing.

Yes, the mark up are crazy, but buyers are still willingly paying those prices because the supply is low and the demand is high.

mr mojo risen

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, 2020 VW Passat, 2015 Nissan Sentra
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Wow we might have spoken to the same salesman! He was so casual about it, even told us how their commission structure has changed with the lack of cars available. Very strange experience. I'm glad you weren't suckered either.

Oh, absolutely agreed! I've paid a small deposit with a different dealership in Cincinnati, who warned me about the dealerships doing the auction sourced +10k used hustle and they encouraged me to wait and order a 2023 at MSRP. The deposit is so I can be on an 'accelerated' waitlist, where they have my order info ready to go immediately, where as Pinnacle and Paul Miller said they'd call me after orders were open to ask what I wanted.
Donā€™t want to call out the salesman individually on a public forum. He seemed like a good guy, and like I said I respect his honesty about their business model for selling Mavericks. It just makes me much less inclined to ever do business with them (Iā€™m seriously considering moving to the Lexington area when I retire in 8-10 years).2

Anyway, canā€™t say I have heard of an accelerated waitlist, but that dealer sounds like they know what theyā€™re doing. Once again good luck getting your Maverick!!

Sponsored

JKinPA

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mountaineer
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

100%, if you NEED a brand new vehicle. But I don't think anyone NEEDs one.

For anyone that doesn't NEED a vehicle,

Some people have a 2nd vehicle, can bike, or use other means of transportation.

If Carvana offers keep going up, I will sell and take public transportation or ride a bike or uber.

I wish 5k+ was an insignificant amount of money to me, but it isn't.
If those are options, good for you. Most that I know don't have spare vehicles or alternate means of transportation. Public trans or biking are not options for me or most that I know. I wonder how many Maverick owners have the option of not needing it?

ClemsonU88

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick; 2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This is the first time in my lifetime (I'm 56) that this kind of car market exists. Usually when you drive a car off the lot it depreciates $3,000-$5,000 immediately, and you're upside down in what you owe vs what it's worth for years. While I hate waiting a year, it's nice that it won't depreciate $5k the day I drive it off the lot.

This is raw capitalism. Supply & demand. In general it's good, but periodically it gets out of hand.

Fear not. As the world (I'm looking at you China) gets less fearful of Covid-19, and everyone gets back to work, supply we come back up, demand will wain, and prices will adjust down. Unfortunately it took 2 years to get into this situation; it'll take a year or two to get out.

Dochatley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, 2024 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This practice of $5-15K above MSRP will not stop until people stop paying it. We all want as much as we can get for something we are selling.

Rob Cactus Gray

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This practice of $5-15K above MSRP will not stop until people stop paying it. We all want as much as we can get for something we are selling.
True, but what will stop people from paying it is availability. There is a TON of competition in the vehicular market. Tens of Thousands of dealers and the ability to buy from any of them. When production ramps up so will availability. I argue demand isnā€™t that high across the board, it just appears that way due to heavily decreased production.

Olderthandirt

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Traverse,17 F150,13 Camaro, 22 Ridgeline
The 1st Mavericks I ever saw were at Pinnacle Ford, in Nicholasville, KY, back last November. They had a black one and a white one. One still had a dealer sticker from Michigan on it. They were both similar optioned XLT AWD's. Funny thing, one was about $7K over MSRP, the other about $8500. So, they were doing the auction thing from the beginning. We wound up ordering one from Stuart Powell Ford in Danville. We gave up on waiting on April 26, and bought a Ridgeline. So, if it ever gets built as a '22 model, they will have a XLT, AWD, area 51, 360, 4K tow, Lux, FX4, to sell. Who knows whether they will mark it up or not. They talked like they don't. They also said they didn't need a deposit, because they could sell it easily, if we didn't want it. I don't feel like it's going to make it as a 22 model, though.

Sponsored

DeeZee

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Hybrid XLT Luxury Package
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That's ok... They are stuck with those gas guzzling Broncos now..... Lots of them not even being picked up by legit customers...
Where? Those things are selling like hot cakes

Jemers22

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm gonna walk away and post that shit everywhere if that's the case on my Maverick. Driving a euro TDI right now anyway. Gonna take the refinement and mpgs and get into something with a bit of utility...
Sponsored