Sponsored

Dealer refunding my $500 deposit because Ford took on too many Maverick orders?

Impetus19

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mazda 3, 1979 CJ5 360 3spd, 2015 prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Correct. Find me a post on here (or anywhere on the internet) where someone who had their order sold to someone else received any resolution from the dealership. You won't find one. What you WILL find are a good number of people who had their order sold out from under them.

There is no legal commitment to any of our orders. With a deposit, there is at least the impression of a quasi-official commitment to sell it to you. Still not a legal commitment......
I still think that is only an unscrupulous dealership that would attempt that.
Furthermore, Ford doesn't allow dealer stock orders to be put in this way.
Sponsored

Tiger Dude

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Did you get the email from Ford? I would check with Ford, dealers seems to b clueless about this whole thing.

OP
OP

916Hybrid

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Did you get the email from Ford? I would check with Ford, dealers seems to b clueless about this whole thing.
Yes, I received the order confirmation email from ford on the following day (September 17) after I submitted my order on September 16

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer Limited; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Correct. Find me a post on here (or anywhere on the internet) where someone who had their order sold to someone else received any resolution from the dealership. You won't find one. What you WILL find are a good number of people who had their order sold out from under them.

There is no legal commitment to any of our orders. With a deposit, there is at least the impression of a quasi-official commitment to sell it to you. Still not a legal commitment......
My dealer provided a contract we both signed. Absent of conflicting law, contracts are legally binding and you can seek remedy in the courts. It basically says that in exchange for the rest of the deposit, they will order a specific vehicle for me. When it arrives, I have to pick it up in a timely fashion or they will sell it. They also have an anti-scalper clause.

It says nonrefundable, but they already rolled it into the out-the-door price. If Ford can't build it, they obviously violated their end of the contract and will refund it.

GTBuzz

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I submitted an order last Friday, September 16 at 3:30 at my local dealership. Xlt Hybrid with no options subject to the supply constraints. I just received a call from the sales department saying that ford had taken on too many orders and they would refund me my $500 deposit. They said they would leave my name on the order in case it was able to get built but didn’t think it would for 2023. Anyone else have this happen?

Yes there have been a few threads with the same story from other dealers.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Ford got more orders than they can build and screwed this up. I mean just look at Mav2022 or Bronco Sports or Broncos or F150 lightening etc. So far Fords track record isnt too good on these high demand vehicles. But will wait for some official word.

Sponsored

PCK

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW R32; Maverick Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My dealer provided a contract we both signed. Absent of conflicting law, contracts are legally binding and you can seek remedy in the courts. . . .
At the start of contracts class in law school, for a contract to be binding, there has to be an exchange of consideration, i.e., money. Now no money. Exception if one party relied on the contract- as if you bought an expensive rack that only fits on the Maverick in anticipation of your getting the truck. I assume nothing here as you do not expect to get the Maverick. Good luck trying to enforce the contract in the courts.

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
At the start of contracts class in law school, for a contract to be binding, there has to be an exchange of consideration, i.e., money. Now no money. Exception if one party relied on the contract- as if you bought an expensive rack that only fits on the Maverick in anticipation of your getting the truck. I assume nothing here as you do not expect to get the Maverick. Good luck trying to enforce the contract in the courts.
You mean the $500 I gave them?

Look, a lawyer to enforce it will cost more than the $500 I would get back. But I've never heard anything negative about this dealer and know many people who have bought there. They are more apt to return the money with a coupon for a free trip to their garage than attempt to rip me off. I'm not worried about them. But having something written on paper that both parties signed at least gives you something to browbeat them with. Otherwise, they can play dumb and there is little recourse.

Landric

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Landric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT AWD FX4 Alto Blue
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
No doubt. This is 100% the reason I ordered from Long McArthur vs a nearby dealership. A 650 mile trip was worth my sanity vs trying to figure out which local dealers wouldn't play games during the order process. If I get my truck, great, if I don't, then there's nothing further I could have done.
I did the same. I also wanted to support Tim because of his extensive video content and fantastic information sharing. I'm sure LM isn't making much off my 2023 Tremor order (assuming it is delivered) but that hasn't stopped them from being extremely responsive and helpful.

paneubert

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL/4K/AWD/CoPilot/CactusG/SlidingRearWindow
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You mean the $500 I gave them?
Yes, the same $500 the original poster is being told they will shortly have back in their bank account. See the issue there? ;)

It is double bad for the customer. Not only will they have $0 in the deal as "consideration", there is a paper trail that they accepted the money back from the dealer. It is ALMOST worse than never having a deposit at all. Almost.....

PCK

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW R32; Maverick Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
. . .
But I've never heard anything negative about this dealer and know many people who have bought there. They are more apt to return the money with a coupon for a free trip to their garage than attempt to rip me off. . . .
That is what you are betting it- its reputation. Hope that holds up just don't depend on the courts to enforce the "contract". Those of us without a deposit for our orders are in the same boat.

Sponsored

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That is what you are betting it- its reputation. Hope that holds up just don't depend on the courts to enforce the "contract". Those of us without a deposit for our orders are in the same boat.
Technically, we do every time we engage with a business. But I hold grudges. I still don't use Google for the number of times I said no to their damn toolbar in 1997...

OP
OP

916Hybrid

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did notice that the dealer copied the purchase order before me and them signed it. Which leaves me with an unsigned copy of the purchase order. Is this common practice with these orders or am I a sucker?

OP
OP

916Hybrid

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did notice that the dealer copied the purchase order before me and them signed it. Which leaves me with an unsigned copy of the purchase order. Is this common practice with these orders or am I a sucker?
I am going to contact them and ask for a signed copy🤦🏼‍♂️

Dimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
Engine
Undecided
I laughed out loud on this one.....

Let me translate for you.

"They would refund me my $500 deposit." = "Hey customer, we want to give you the deposit back so we aren't obligated to sell it to you if/when it gets built."

"They said they would leave my name on the order in case it was able to get built." = "We aren't going to cancel your order. If it gets built, we will sell it to the highest bidder since we returned your deposit".

Call them back and say that you don't want your deposit back. You want them to hold on to the deposit until the 2023 model year is balanced out and Ford has finished scheduling the 2023 model year.
This guy gets it

Connect

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Accord, 2023 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I started my order Friday night (16th) and signed Saturday (17th).... I think they knew even then because I said I would come down to sign etc and they wanted to just do it online/over the phone.

I never received confirmation from Ford and a couple of days later I realized my CC had not been hit for the deposit.

So I checked yesterday and they did not get back to me, so I reached out again today and they called me back and apologized and basically said their allocation was less than they were hoping for and that they already had over 100 preorders before the bank was open, blah blah blah. I was really hoping, but kind of figured that is what was going on because of the above.

Anyway I expect my 186K mile car will last another year, and the Tacoma (hopefully a higher MPG hybrid version) will come out and/or I will get a shot at the 2024 Maverick. I am really hoping for a truck next go around , but if push comes to shove I may have to get something else.
Sponsored