Sponsored

DC to DC converter maximum limit/fuse size/type?

MostlySafeBear

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Eventually) a Ford Truck
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
For the Maverick hybrid, what is the rated (constant, not surge) amperage capacity of the DC to DC converter?

What is its fuse size, or is it a fusible link instead?
Sponsored

BrianA

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have been looking too, and cannot find anything official. Someone on another thread said 250 amps at 14 volts. But, remember the power steering, ac, and a lot of other things that are not usually electric on a typical car are sharing in that power. (Pretty sure these run on 12 V, so as not to avoid high voltage wiring running all over the place.) Who knows how much is left over. I saw another post that said the kids putting huge stereos in their Ford Escape (which may be the same system?) were having 12 volt battery problems if they consistently pulled over about 1000 W from the 12 volt system which makes sense if they were also cruising and simultaneously using AC, power steering, etc. If anyone finds out for sure, please let us know.

Mach 1

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Hybr 2018 F150 Lariat 3.5 ECO
Wow, you are going to get in on It. The highest draw for the 12v system is the battery recharge from HVB. I will go check the manual, see what it says.

TheWizziard

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT Oxford White
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This question has been asked before by those of us wanting to install an 110v inverter. Maybe now that there are more vehicles out there we can get some answers.

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Wow, you are going to get in on It. The highest draw for the 12v system is the battery recharge from HVB. I will go check the manual, see what it says.
Wouldn't the HVB be pushing more power to the AC system on full load, for example, than the draw of the 12v battery that is basically trickle-recharging while you're driving?

Sponsored

Mach 1

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Hybr 2018 F150 Lariat 3.5 ECO
Clav, you got it, that is what I was trying to say, I was just saying on the 12v side there is not hardly a draw. Just battery recharging/trickle charging.

There's alot more load going thru the 300v. Charging the HVB, AC, then discharging it, regen, alot more load jumping around in the 300v system.

I would guess, with this question, going to be how much can I hang on/load the 12v system, before it gets detrimental to charging/12v system. Invertor or stereo system?

Bmr4mav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Lux Hybrid 23
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This long and we still don’t know.

BrianA

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clav, you got it, that is what I was trying to say, I was just saying on the 12v side there is not hardly a draw. Just battery recharging/trickle charging.

There's alot more load going thru the 300v. Charging the HVB, AC, then discharging it, regen, alot more load jumping around in the 300v system.

I would guess, with this question, going to be how much can I hang on/load the 12v system, before it gets detrimental to charging/12v system. Invertor or stereo system?
Yes, I am wondering how big an inverter I can run for an extended period of time without overheating or otherwise shortening the life of the DC/DC converter. Also, have a small solar system with about 10 kWh of 12 volt battery backup, and while I don't really intend to do it, I am interested to know if I could use the 12 v off the vehicle to recharge if I have a row of cloudy days (and the generator is for some reason inoperable). Of course I can do that through an inverter also, but if I am just charging 12 volt batteries, it does not make sense to take the efficiency hit to step up through an inverter just to step back down in the battery charger and I don't want to mess with tapping into the 300V traction battery.
Sponsored