Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I just found out during the last hour that daytime running lights (front and back!) have been mandated on new vehicles sold in Canada starting in 2021. So when my Maverick arrives I can expect front and rear daytime running lights?
Sponsored

WannaMav

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Option to shut off DRLs is in the instrument cluster menu. Only need to uncheck it once and they'll thereafter stay off.

OP
OP
Cromwell

Cromwell

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Option to shut off DRLs is in the instrument cluster menu. Only need to uncheck it once and they'll thereafter stay off.
I don't want to be able to turn them off; just want to know if they are front and back – it's a great feature!

samesea2012

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
back running lights? do you have an example?

OP
OP
Cromwell

Cromwell

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I think I jumped the gun a bit.

Ford Maverick Daytime Running Lights (DRL) in Canada CDD978F8-C14B-4B7A-AD34-63E82E4CF6D5

Sponsored

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

In the US maybe, in Canada DRL have been manditory nation wide since the 1990's, no way to turn them off here.

OP
OP
Cromwell

Cromwell

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

The vehicle may be required to have them, but we may not be required to use them:
https://www.ahainsurance.ca/car-insurance/daytime-running-lights/
I suppose, then again how many people know all, or even half of the driving rules for their given province? I'd guess that most don't. I sure don't have all of them memorized, there are far more rules on the books than they teach you in the driving manual or driving schools. For example, in BC it is illegal to make a u-turn at any unmarked (sign allowing u-turns) controlled intersections (any intersection with a stop sign or traffic light).

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL Hybrid; 2015 Smart Fortwo Pure
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
All cars sold in Canada have front DRLs that cannot be turned off. They are on when the car is on. The new standard means that one of those needs to be true on every car sold in Canada
  • the tail running lights are always on with the front DRLs (car on = lights on, my Smart Fortwo is like this),
  • the headlights/rear running lights turn on automatically when it is dark out (which is the case for all Mavericks, my XL with no add-ons has this), or
  • that the dash stays dark until the driver turns on the lights (my 2012 Corolla was like this).

The major issue that we have is that many vehicles have lighted dash consoles that are lit when the car is on, but not necessarily if the headlights/tail lights are on (I know the Civics that don't have auto lights are like this, and many more). You notice this when it's dark and the driver in front of you hasn't turned their lights on. This is because their dash is lit and they don't notice that their lights aren't.

The goal then is to reduce the number of vehicles on the road in the dark without lit tail lights.

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

All cars sold in Canada have front DRLs that cannot be turned off. They are on when the car is on. The new standard means that one of those needs to be true on every car sold in Canada
  • the tail running lights are always on with the front DRLs (car on = lights on, my Smart Fortwo is like this),
  • the headlights/rear running lights turn on automatically when it is dark out (which is the case for all Mavericks, my XL with no add-ons has this), or
  • that the dash stays dark until the driver turns on the lights (my 2012 Corolla was like this).

The major issue that we have is that many vehicles have lighted dash consoles that are lit when the car is on, but not necessarily if the headlights/tail lights are on (I know the Civics that don't have auto lights are like this, and many more). You notice this when it's dark and the driver in front of you hasn't turned their lights on. This is because their dash is lit and they don't notice that their lights aren't.

The goal then is to reduce the number of vehicles on the road in the dark without lit tail lights.
Yup, and it's about time. Cannot count how many times I see people driving around at night with just DRL on and nothing else.
Sponsored