Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hi all,
I am trying to add oem-like upgrades to the Maverick and I came across this thread where someone was referencing a Bronco Sport thread about adding ambient lighting to the cupholder. Old thread, but I dug a bit and found that the regular Bronco forum (this thread), someone had swapped in ambient lighting from a Lincoln Corsair and was able to get it to fit. The Maverick cupholder part # LJ8Z5813562AA is shared with the Bronco and Mach e. The Bronco oem ambient lighting is multicolor, so I needed to find the Ford "ice blue" LED lights to swap in for the original multicolor that would fit in the cup holder. Part # LJ7Z-7813562-BA is from a Lincoln Corsair and does not include the LEDs. This was fine because I needed the Ford "ice blue" ones. I ordered the Bronco Sport cupholder assembly part # LJ6Z-7813562-FA that included the "ice blue" LEDs that match the Maverick lighting. I removed the LEDs and put them on the Corsair cup holder. I was able to fit this assembly into the Maverick after a lot of modification to the cup holder, and the mounting studs on the center console. Not a perfect fit, but if you look too close you might as consider other build quality issues from the factory. I made splitter harnesses from standard JST connectors to get away from the Ford oem connecter due to cost and availability. I took power from the passenger footwell ambient light, which is accessible by removing the glove box. Anyway some pics for reference and the cup holder lighting matches perfectly. Will plan to add more ambient light behind the front seats and maybe in rear door handles.

Parts needed:
# LJ7Z-7813562-BA Lincoln Corsair Cup Holder Assembly
# LJ6Z-7813562-FA Bronco Sport Cup Holder Assembly

Bronco Sport Cup Holder
Ford Maverick Cup Holder Ambient Lighting Installed. DIY write-up guide 20230313_173257

Side by Side Comparison of Maverick (Left) and Corsair (Right) Cup Holder Assemblies. Note the Corsair cup holder is slightly angled but not noticeable once installed.
Ford Maverick Cup Holder Ambient Lighting Installed. DIY write-up guide 20230317_114216

Passenger Footwell Ambient Light Tapped for Power
Ford Maverick Cup Holder Ambient Lighting Installed. DIY write-up guide 20230313_173326

Corsair Cup Holder with Bronco Sport LED wiring harness
Ford Maverick Cup Holder Ambient Lighting Installed. DIY write-up guide 20230313_174546

Testing electrical - works!
Ford Maverick Cup Holder Ambient Lighting Installed. DIY write-up guide 20230317_104740

Modifying the center console. Need to remove the alignment grooves on the cupholder perimeter.
Ford Maverick Cup Holder Ambient Lighting Installed. DIY write-up guide 20230317_132047

Cup Holder installed in center console
Ford Maverick Cup Holder Ambient Lighting Installed. DIY write-up guide 20230317_143419

Final outcome
Ford Maverick Cup Holder Ambient Lighting Installed. DIY write-up guide 20230317_150546
Sponsored

Last edited:

Pucman1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda, Triumph TR3, Hybrid Maverick 1-18-23
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

So alignment tab delete, did you glue it or just use the screws to attach it to the console base?
Great work and such a detailed write up. Does it dim with the ambient lightining app since you tapped it for power?
I just found my ambient lightning the other day and enjoy the fact it lights up the footwells and the lock handles on the door.

OP
OP
shazel

shazel

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So alignment tab delete, did you glue it or just use the screws to attach it to the console base?
Great work and such a detailed write up. Does it dim with the ambient lightining app since you tapped it for power?
I just found my ambient lightning the other day and enjoy the fact it lights up the footwells and the lock handles on the door.
So this cup holder is not a drop in replacement so it has the inserts so not match the alignment tabs and that’s why you need to remove. I was able to drill holes in the cup holder to align with the center console mounting posts and attached with stock screws and some coarse wood screws that were longer than stock. The hot glue in one of the pictures was to try and reconstruct a mounting post that I cut down too far. The lights dim with the ambient lighting but it’s not as granular as the other lights. It has maybe 3-4 brightness settings.

Again, this cup holder is not a direct replacement and is slightly larger in length and width by like 2-3mm. Hard to notice unless you examine closely.

jcgaskil

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT FX4 (Alto Blue)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Very nice. What wire did you use for power tapping off the footwell ambient light? Did you also tap off the footwell light for ground? Lastly, when tapping off the footwell light, do the ambient lights in the cup holder dim with the rest of the instrumentation? I have an XLT and considering tapping off the cubby ambient light to add footwell lights. The addition of the cupholders would be a nice addition.

Sponsored

TLRMaverick

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Titan, Honda crv, Nissan Rogue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hi all,
I am trying to add oem-like upgrades to the Maverick and I came across this thread where someone was referencing a Bronco Sport thread about adding ambient lighting to the cupholder. Old thread, but I dug a bit and found that the regular Bronco forum (this thread), someone had swapped in ambient lighting from a Lincoln Corsair and was able to get it to fit. The Maverick cupholder part # LJ8Z5813562AA is shared with the Bronco and Mach e. The Bronco oem ambient lighting is multicolor, so I needed to find the Ford "ice blue" LED lights to swap in for the original multicolor that would fit in the cup holder. Part # LJ7Z-7813562-BA is from a Lincoln Corsair and does not include the LEDs. This was fine because I needed the Ford "ice blue" ones. I ordered the Bronco Sport cupholder assembly part # LJ6Z-7813562-FA that included the "ice blue" LEDs that match the Maverick lighting. I removed the LEDs and put them on the Corsair cup holder. I was able to fit this assembly into the Maverick after a lot of modification to the cup holder, and the mounting studs on the center console. Not a perfect fit, but if you look too close you might as consider other build quality issues from the factory. I made splitter harnesses from standard JST connectors to get away from the Ford oem connecter due to cost and availability. I took power from the passenger footwell ambient light, which is accessible by removing the glove box. Anyway some pics for reference and the cup holder lighting matches perfectly. Will plan to add more ambient light behind the front seats and maybe in rear door handles.

Parts needed:

Bronco Sport Cup Holder
20230313_173257.jpg

Side by Side Comparison of Maverick (Left) and Corsair (Right) Cup Holder Assemblies. Note the Corsair cup holder is slightly angled but not noticeable once installed.
20230317_114216.jpg

20230313_173326.jpg

20230313_174546.jpg

20230317_104740.jpg

Modifying the center console. Need to remove the alignment grooves on the cupholder perimeter.
20230317_132047.jpg

20230317_143419.jpg

Final outcome
20230317_150546.jpg
Looks amazing! I would do it if it wasn't so many steps!

OP
OP
shazel

shazel

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Very nice. What wire did you use for power tapping off the footwell ambient light? Did you also tap off the footwell light for ground? Lastly, when tapping off the footwell light, do the ambient lights in the cup holder dim with the rest of the instrumentation? I have an XLT and considering tapping off the cubby ambient light to add footwell lights. The addition of the cupholders would be a nice addition.
I used all three wires from the existing lighting, which I believe are 12v, some PWM/ignition signal, and ground. I made some harnesses out of JST connectors and wired together with wago connectors. The cup holder dims with the cabin but has less increments of brightness. Your idea to tap off the cubby would definitely work. I’m pretty the cutouts for the footwell lights exist on all trims. At least in the passenger side, the light clips into the footwell hvac assembly. Here’s the part numbers for the footwell lights. I am planning to add these in the rear footwells for fun.

Driver side: M1PZ-14A318-B
Passenger side: M1PZ-14A411-A

davedogg

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SOLD Jeep Wrangler 2 Door for Mav.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Very nice! This is something I'm interested in. Do you have pics of the wiring connected? A short video would be helpful for a dummy like me.

Polak658

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Scion xA
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Do you happen to have a picture of the wiring going from the cup holder to the passenger footwell ambient light? How long of a run is it and was it difficult to snake the wire?

Sponsored

Barksdale123

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Hi all,

Parts needed:

Bronco Sport Cup Holder
20230313_173257.jpg

20230317_114216.jpg

20230313_173326.jpg

20230313_174546.jpg

20230317_104740.jpg

20230317_132047.jpg

20230317_143419.jpg

Final outcome
20230317_150546.jpg
Nice guide. Neat effect. Good job. Cost of the Corsair cup assembly, if you don't mind.

Canuck in MI

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Wow. Great job. So… not to sound too negative as Ford is: my customer, I am their customer (Maverick, Mach-e, Escape) and a shareholder but this falls under the WTF category!

They desperately need to cut costs but on a common part that is literally from a dimensions perspective identical, they designed 3 different parts with slightly different brackets to go across 2 volume and 1 premium product line?

WTF… Who’s looking at these engineering costs and resources required??? They are now also stocking 3x more service parts…

So -why not design a single part, get volumes up and costs down and slightly modify the exterior finish for the Lincoln.

Thanks for the detailed breakdown and effort on this mod. Looks great but for me, if I have to make any cuts or mods to anything stock, not for me. Anything I could order and do a “plug and play” install, I am all in!

Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
shazel

shazel

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Very nice! This is something I'm interested in. Do you have pics of the wiring connected? A short video would be helpful for a dummy like me.
I don’t have a picture of wiring all connected but it’s basically tapping off of the existing wiring to the footwell light. Three connections made. I used wago connectors but you could also splice into wiring.

OP
OP
shazel

shazel

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Wow. Great job. So… not to sound too negative as Ford is: my customer, I am their customer (Maverick, Mach-e, Escape) and a shareholder but this falls under the WTF category!

They desperately need to cut costs but on a common part that is literally from a dimensions perspective identical, they designed 3 different parts with slightly different brackets to go across 2 volume and 1 premium product line?

WTF… Who’s looking at these engineering costs and resources required??? They are now also stocking 3x more service parts…

So -why not design a single part, get volumes up and costs down and slightly modify the exterior finish for the Lincoln.

Thanks for the detailed breakdown and effort on this mod. Looks great but for me, if I have to make any cuts or mods to anything stock, not for me. Anything I could order and do a “plug and play” install, I am all in!

Thanks for sharing.
I think the different parts mainly have to do with the angle of the center console for the different models. Idk why the actual top opening is slightly different tho. That should not change
Sponsored