Sponsored

Cover plate for filling in the area around the hitch.

Aherpa

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Edge, Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I got the part from my dealer (Part# NZ6Z-17F000-AA) and made a template from the box it came in. The outside perimeter of the template is the finished part of the cover plate, not the outside perimeter of it. So the template is actually smaller than the cover plate itself.

I took measurements from the top of the opening in the bumper to the bottom of the hitch and side to side, and did the same for the plugin. I added an extra 1/8 inch for slop. I then transferred the measurements to the template and cutout the openings in the template with an razor knife.

I then test fit the template and made adjustments. The template should fill the opening in the 'bumper skin'.

I taped my template to the cover plate and transferred my openings via a silver Sharpie pen. I then taped around the markings and used a jigsaw to cut them out. Then I filed the edges smooth.

To make the bumper skin a bit easier to work with, I removed the 9/32 screws along the bottom were it is fastened to the bumper. I also removed the plugin. (There are two rather strong 'wings' behind the plugin at the top but I found I could get it to come free by pressing in on only one with the shaft of a small screwdriver, and pulling that side down.)

Now for the fun part, getting the cut cover plate fitted around the hitch. I taped the outer surface of the cover plate to keep it from getting deep scratches. Keep the cover plate behind the bumper skin as much as possible when moving it around. Working around the chain hooks on the hitch is the hard part, but it will eventually fit. Once the cover plate is in place, do not snap anything together yet but you can remove the protective tape.

Disconnect the wiring from the plugin fixture it as it will make inserting it through the opening in the plate much easier. There are two clips (top and bottom) that will need to be released for the wiring to come out. I used two very small screwdrivers as wedges.

Once the plugin fixture is free, you can work the face of it between the front of the steel hitch plate and the back of the cover plate. You need to keep the cover plate shoved out enough to make room for the fixture while you slide it back in and snap it in place. Once it is in place, you can snap the wiring harness back in place from the rear.

At this point you should be able to snap the clips in place by pushing the cover plate while holding the bumper skin from the rear. I used an angled forceps to get the top clips to snap because there's no way to get your fingers between the cover plate and the steel hitch plate. I then snapped the side clips. I used the angled forceps across the top of the hitch to get the top clip on the passenger side to snap into place.

There are two holes in the bottom of the cover plate that match up with holes in the bumper skin. To keep things aligned, I used stainless steel screws and nuts to fasten those parts together.

Your assembly experience will probably be different than mine, but hopefully something from this write-up will be useful to you.

It took me about 2 hours from start to finish. I really like the finished look that it brings to that area of the truck.

Thanks for reading.

Ford Maverick Cover plate for filling in the area around the hitch. KIMG0071

Ford Maverick Cover plate for filling in the area around the hitch. KIMG0070

Ford Maverick Cover plate for filling in the area around the hitch. KIMG0069

Ford Maverick Cover plate for filling in the area around the hitch. KIMG0067

Ford Maverick Cover plate for filling in the area around the hitch. KIMG0068
Sponsored

Last edited:

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Looks nice. I like this mod.
Think how much this would slow down production if done at the factory. But they could have molded the holes.

They should have just included one under the seat or something for owners to do at their option.

The parts department is probably starting to wonder why so many people are "breaking" their covers. These are probably going to fly off the shelf.

👍🏻

Don806

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT, Also a 2000 F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

that is awesome!!!!!

if I had to do it again, removing the wiring plug in would help a LOT!
taping up the cover to prevent the scratches from working around the chain hooks was good move.

Gpp

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 ford maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Think how much this would slow down production if done at the factory. But they could have molded the holes.

They should have just included one under the seat or something for owners to do at their option.

The parts department is probably starting to wonder why so many people are "breaking" their covers. These are probably going to fly off the shelf.

👍🏻

👍🏻
Would be nice if someone would come out with one ready to put on!

Gpp

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 ford maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Would be nice if someone would come out with one ready to put on😎

Sponsored

7Litre

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sonata Hybrid, 2023 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I put mine in yesterday, not quite so clean and blemish-free as yours, but I'm happy with the results.

Ford Maverick Cover plate for filling in the area around the hitch. PXL_20230416_210039221

EDIT: I used an adjustable pliers to remove the socket, and I drilled the two holes out and reused the plastic pins left over from the mudflap install.

Last edited:

Hot Runr Guy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Edge SEL, 2024 Lariat AWD BAP 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I put mine in yesterday, not quite so clean and blemish-free as yours, but I'm happy with the results.

PXL_20230416_210039221.jpg

EDIT: I used an adjustable pliers to remove the socket, and I drilled the two holes out and reused the plastic pins left over from the mudflap install.
Is the 5/8" pin hole still accessible, or is it now behind the plate?

HRG

Ford Truck Guy

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

SS Mojo

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I got the part from my dealer (Part# NZ6Z-17F000-AA) and made a template from the box it came in. The outside perimeter of the template is the finished part of the cover plate, not the outside perimeter of it. So the template is actually smaller than the cover plate itself.

I took measurements from the top of the opening in the bumper to the bottom of the hitch and side to side, and did the same for the plugin. I added an extra 1/8 inch for slop. I then transferred the measurements to the template and cutout the openings in the template with an razor knife.

I then test fit the template and made adjustments. The template should fill the opening in the 'bumper skin'.

I taped my template to the cover plate and transferred my openings via a silver Sharpie pen. I then taped around the markings and used a jigsaw to cut them out. Then I filed the edges smooth.

To make the bumper skin a bit easier to work with, I removed the 9/32 screws along the bottom were it is fastened to the bumper. I also removed the plugin. (There are two rather strong 'wings' behind the plugin at the top but I found I could get it to come free by pressing in on only one with the shaft of a small screwdriver, and pulling that side down.)

Now for the fun part, getting the cut cover plate fitted around the hitch. I taped the outer surface of the cover plate to keep it from getting deep scratches. Keep the cover plate behind the bumper skin as much as possible when moving it around. Working around the chain hooks on the hitch is the hard part, but it will eventually fit. Once the cover plate is in place, do not snap anything together yet but you can remove the protective tape.

Disconnect the wiring from the plugin fixture it as it will make inserting it through the opening in the plate much easier. There are two clips (top and bottom) that will need to be released for the wiring to come out. I used two very small screwdrivers as wedges.

Once the plugin fixture is free, you can work the face of it between the front of the steel hitch plate and the back of the cover plate. You need to keep the cover plate shoved out enough to make room for the fixture while you slide it back in and snap it in place. Once it is in place, you can snap the wiring harness back in place from the rear.

At this point you should be able to snap the clips in place by pushing the cover plate while holding the bumper skin from the rear. I used an angled forceps to get the top clips to snap because there's no way to get your fingers between the cover plate and the steel hitch plate. I then snapped the side clips. I used the angled forceps across the top of the hitch to get the top clip on the passenger side to snap into place.

There are two holes in the bottom of the cover plate that match up with holes in the bumper skin. To keep things aligned, I used stainless steel screws and nuts to fasten those parts together.

Your assembly experience will probably be different than mine, but hopefully something from this write-up will be useful to you.

It took me about 2 hours from start to finish. I really like the finished look that it brings to that area of the truck.

Thanks for reading.

KIMG0071.jpg

KIMG0070.jpg

KIMG0069.jpg

KIMG0067.jpg

KIMG0068.jpg
Looks Great !
Sponsored