First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick; 2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I used to put $50 of gas in my Nissan Frontier weekly. Now I'm putting about $35-$40 in my hybrid Maverick every other week. Financially I've kept the same routine; except I put $45 in the tank every other week and $50 in Apple stock every other week. At the end of the year I will have put $1,300 (26 x $50) into Apple stock. If Apple stock increases at 20% (about average for Apple), that would be $1,430 after 1 year. At the end of 3 years, I will have put in $3,900, and it would be worth roughly $5,205. At the end of 4 years I'd have $7,676; and at 5 years I'd have $10,641.

And it's all because I just kept doing what I was doing before but putting the money in a different place. If you don't want to put it in Apple, put it in Microsoft, or AMD, or a high yield CD, or a college fund. The point is, be smart with your money. I'm paying the same for my Maverick as I was for my Frontier. So I've reduced my repair amount to almost $0 for 3 years (due to the warranty) and not increased my monthly payment, AND I'm saving $1,300/year.

You can setup an account with a company like Vanguard or Schwaub online (I'm not affiliated with either) and link it to your bank account and transfer money manually every other week. IT'S DOABLE!! Even if you just stuck $1,300/year in savings, you'd have $6,500 + interest saved up after 5 years. No stock is guaranteed to go up, but be smart and do something financially wise for a change!! The hybrid gives you an excellent opportunity to do that!

***************************** February, 2023 Update ***************************

I entered a comment below, but the $630 I haven't spent on gas every other week is now worth about $950 in AMD stock (I switched from Apple to AMD stock early on). Y'all can do this. Just pick safe stocks or high yield savings accounts.

***************************** February, 2024 Update ***************************

I dropped to saving $80/month, because gas has dropped to about $3.50/gal. After 19 months I've put about $1,522 ($80 * 19 = $1,522) into my investment account. It's grown to about $3,669 (invested in AMD & NVidia). If I played it safe and had put it in a savings account getting 3% interest, it would still be worth about $1,542.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Bad Actor

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Ranger XLT, 73 Mustang Base, 02 Toyota Camry
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You could invest in Ford, which is undervalued right now, plus get a tidy dividend. And until recently, could have gotten a shareholder discount.

stoptothink

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I guess that's one way to look at it, for someone who is new to financial responsibility and/or investing. Or you could buy an ever cheaper vehicle or none at all. I've had an account at Vanguard since I was 16; since we didn't necessarily need a second vehicle, our Maverick hybrid cost us the $26,440 we paid for it out-the-door. But hey, I would have put that excess cash in VTSAX and the total stock market has TANKED since May, while the value of our Maverick has probably increased, so it is all good.

crunchie_frog

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT 2.0 4K, 1999 & 2000 5.0 AWD Mountaineers
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You could invest in Ford, which is undervalued right now, plus get a tidy dividend. And until recently, could have gotten a shareholder discount.
Mmm. So holding 100 shares (or more) no longer qualifies a buyer for the x plan? Thanks,

Freckles

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Edge, 2021 Transit Connect, 2022 Maverick XLT
I've had 6 shares of Ford stock since I was 13 years old...I was/am such a Ford person I wanted to be an "owner". Now, at 68, I still have those same shares. Latest dividend was 60 cents....I probably didn't qualify for the discount, although it would have been nice to know about it.

Sponsored

stoptothink

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Would anybody else take a similar $50 a week windfall and use it to buy beer and fishing stuff or is it just me?
The large majority of people would, so much so that OP thought it was necessary to start a thread to share that it's actually possible to save or invest the "windfall".

skadizzle

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat BAP
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Mmm. So holding 100 shares (or more) no longer qualifies a buyer for the x plan? Thanks,
Yup no longer qualifies. If you want X-Plan now, just join the Mustang Club.

Sponsored

Chicolini

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150s, Mustang GT Convertible, Mazda B3000
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Friends don't advise friends to buy Ford stock.

Bad Actor

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Ranger XLT, 73 Mustang Base, 02 Toyota Camry
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
OP
OP
ClemsonU88

ClemsonU88

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Would anybody else take a similar $50 a week windfall and use it to buy beer and fishing stuff or is it just me?
I think that’s what most people would do. That’s why I wrote this…to encourage people to save money without having to reduce their current standard of living.

One could/should do the same (in my opinion) when they pay off their car. Keep making “payments“ to a savings account or investment account for your next vehicle.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ClemsonU88

ClemsonU88

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Update: I've been doing this for 6 months now and have 11 shares of AMD stock. AMD has gone up $25/share in the last couple of months, so the approximately $630 I've put into stock is now worth about $950.

Of course stocks won't increase 30%-50% regularly, but even conservatively if they increase 10%/year (good ones will), my $1,080 investment in one year would be worth about $1,130. Heck, put it in you're bank account and make 3%, and you'd have about $1.100.

I'm truly not trying to brag. I'm trying to help people see how easy it can be to save up money for an inevitable repair or to pay cash for their next vehicle with very little effort or pain.

Anyone else doing this? It's kind of a get rich slow scheme...but it works.

arebelerichards

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Arebele
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Update: I've been doing this for 6 months now and have 11 shares of AMD stock. AMD has gone up $25/share in the last couple of months, so the approximately $630 I've put into stock is now worth about $950.

Of course stocks won't increase 30%-50% regularly, but even conservatively if they increase 10%/year (good ones will), my $1,080 investment in one year would be worth about $1,130. Heck, put it in you're bank account and make 3%, and you'd have about $1.100.

I'm truly not trying to brag. I'm trying to help people see how easy it can be to save up money for an inevitable repair or to pay cash for their next vehicle with very little effort or pain.

Anyone else doing this? It's kind of a get rich slow scheme...but it works.
It's great to hear that you've been able to invest in stocks and see some growth in your investment. Investing in stocks can be a great way to build wealth over the long term, and it's encouraging to see that you're taking a long-term approach to your investments. I also want to invest some money but unfortunately until now I haven't raised the necessary amount; I'm thinking of taking a credit but I don't know if it will succeed..
Sponsored