Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I don’t know, I’ve had a boatload of new cars over the years. Tons of warranty work at various times for various engine related issues. Ford, Hando , Nissan, GM, etc, have NEVER asked for proof of what type of oil was used. Just as long as there was oil. Either this is the OPs first car, or some service department messes with him, or he flat made this crap up.
I bet you cut the tags off your mattress too :ROFLMAO: :devilish::devilish:
Sponsored

801Maverick801

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Any API Certified ILSAC GF-6, SP/SN+ motor oil is perfectly fine, which the Kirkland Signature oil meets. Your warranty will not be voided just because your oil doesn't explicitly meet WSS-M2C963-A1 specifications. It says it right in the owner's manual: "If Motorcraft® oil is not available, use motor oils of the recommended viscosity grade that display the API Certification Mark for gasoline engines." Guess what? Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 5W-30 is also ILSAC GF-6 and API SP/SN+ certified.
Thank you for taking the time to put this up. I did all this research before I started using Kirkland oil to confirm it still meets spec. To say using this oil could void your warranty is disinformation.

macaroni_life

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ecoboost motors specifically have widespread issues with low speed pre-ignition and accelerated timing chain guide wear, that spec specifically addresses both of those problems which is why Ford requires it. I really don't care what other people do but preaching here like that spec doesn't matter seems a little careless to me.

You also either ignore or conveniently leave out the part where the manual specifically says:

"Use oil that meets the defined SPECIFICATION and viscosity grade. If you do not use oil that meets the defined SPECIFICATION and viscosity grade, it could result in: component damage that your vehicle warranty does not cover." Straight from the owners manual.

Why would Ford go to great lengths to create that specification only to make it optional? They didn't......do your research people, read the manual for yourself and don't listen to the "expertise" of random people on the internet

Mav Owners Manual.jpg

Mav Owners Manual 2.jpg
You gotta love the "Do YoUr ReSeArCh!!!" crowd. Allow me to pander to your "research" for a moment and look up Ford spec WSS-M2C963-A1. Oh, what does it say?
OIL, ENGINE, GASOLINE, ILSAC GF-6, SAE 0W-30

Rod

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It could be voided, didn’t it would automatically be. The question is why take the chance to save few bucks.
IMG_1287.jpeg
No sir, you said it definitively would void the warrant. Here is what you said….
“No, you just void your warranty. If you have an engine issue you must show the receipts for oil purchases. Why give them an excuse?
I store my receipts in Ford Pass along with the date and mileage of changes.”
I enjoy the good info on this forum but dont like the misinformation. In my opinion, the oil discussions are way overblown and beat to death.

gte105u

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick Lariat, '17 Rogue SL, '14 Altima SV
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The expression "void your warranty" is thrown around a lot. There is nothing you can really do to void your warranty. You can do things which may not be covered, but it won't patently void it.

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act is what controls here. It is not your responsibility to prove you used the right oil for coverage. The dealer would have to show you did something contrary to spec to not cover a repair while under warranty. For something like a lift, that is easy. They can see it. For engine oil not nearly so much. If there is oil there, and it is of the right viscosity, it would be tough for Ford to fight the coverage from there.

For a $200k car with a huge engine rebuild, Ford may take the effort to dig in and test the oil. But for a Maverick, the dealer is going to make the repair and pass it along to be paid by Ford if everything looks kosher. They are not going to send the oil off for analysis to see if any random requirement is not met and fight with you when they can get paid easily. And Ford cannot demand to see receipts or service records to cover a warranty repair. So keeping a bunch of records for things in their app gives them ammo without any real benefit.

I don't have a dog in the hunt as I have my oil done for me, but want to get the correct information out there. I hate bad data being spread on forums.

Sponsored

Barksdale123

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

First car with a turbo. Kinda wary about warranty issues. Ill be going to the dealer. With the distant between oil changes, cant see the real $$$ savings vs the fight that could insure about the warranty. When I was working a real job (is banking a real job?) we had a customer come in and threaten to sue over a couple of hundred cash deposit in the ATM. My boss (a very surly individual) look at the guy blew smoke in his face and said this is a $7 billion dollar bank, how long can you pay your attorneys? Hate to say it but unless its a class action, very hard to win with the big guys.

mav_kev

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mav
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Oil threads are always great comedy! Seems to me, if anyone is this concerned about oil quality and "certified" this or that, maybe don't use generic brand oil to save a few bucks.

macaroni_life

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The expression "void your warranty" is thrown around a lot. There is nothing you can really do to void your warranty. You can do things which may not be covered, but it won't patently void it.

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act is what controls here. It is not your responsibility to prove you used the right oil for coverage. The dealer would have to show you did something contrary to spec to not cover a repair while under warranty. For something like a lift, that is easy. They can see it. For engine oil not nearly so much. If there is oil there, and it is of the right viscosity, it would be tough for Ford to fight the coverage from there.

For a $200k car with a huge engine rebuild, Ford may take the effort to dig in and test the oil. But for a Maverick, the dealer is going to make the repair and pass it along to be paid by Ford if everything looks kosher. They are not going to send the oil off for analysis to see if any random requirement is not met and fight with you when they can get paid easily. And Ford cannot demand to see receipts or service records to cover a warranty repair. So keeping a bunch of records for things in their app gives them ammo without any real benefit.

I don't have a dog in the hunt as I have my oil done for me, but want to get the correct information out there. I hate bad data being spread on forums.
Thank you, very well said. People love to cry about voided warranties but the simple fact is that's completely false. There is no central database somewhere acting like a "permanent record" for your vehicle. All that can be done is a claim is denied. Just because your blown engine claim isn't approved that doesn't mean you can't go in for other warranty work like paint, transmission, electronics, etc.

gte105u

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick Lariat, '17 Rogue SL, '14 Altima SV
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thank you, very well said. People love to cry about voided warranties but the simple fact is that's completely false. There is no central database somewhere acting like a "permanent record" for your vehicle. All that can be done is a claim is denied. Just because your blown engine claim isn't approved that doesn't mean you can't go in for other warranty work like paint, transmission, electronics, etc.
Not is it as easy for the manufacturer to deny a claim as many make out. The onus is on the manufacturer to show you screwed up, not on you to prove correct. Don't get me wrong, improper denials happen, but with some pressure and the truth on your side you should be able to make it right. Now if you are trying to game the system (like doing a tune then removing it), that's when it tends to bite you.

Sponsored

NoVaJimmy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lexus GX 460
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I figured @NoVaJimmy would have chimed in here by now!
Nah I'm done with the guy who thinks ilsac is a Ford specification. It's like trying to play chess with someone who thinks they're also playing chess but they have checkers pieces and a chutes n ladders game board.

OneAlienBoi

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yeah, I would never use Costco/sam's club/Walmart products to maintain my car. Or use their service department for anything other than tires. If you look at most of their auto department reviews, it's just pages of 1 star reviews on how they took their car in for an oil change, and the Walmart or Sam's club employees destroyed their car. Saw one where they ruined a lady's Ford edge by putting coolant where the oil is meant to go 🤦.

kentsa1

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat, 2021 Honda CRV EXL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I bought Quaker State 5W30 on sale at Menards for 19.99 after 11% back in a rebate check earlier in 2023. It is stated on the jug that it meets the
Ford spec for the Ecoboost. I too use the Ford Pass App to put in receipts, etc to record my changes.
Ford Maverick Costco / Kirkland full synthetic oil is not certified for use in any Ford 1E669FF7-357A-4BCD-B1B1-B050D5990F70

OP
OP
BDennis

BDennis

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion, E450 Leprechaun
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thank you for taking the time to put this up. I did all this research before I started using Kirkland oil to confirm it still meets spec. To say using this oil could void your warranty is disinformation.
REALLY? Not disinformation, how about quotation.
Here is a screenshot from the Maverick Owners Manual:
Ford Maverick Costco / Kirkland full synthetic oil is not certified for use in any Ford IMG_1288

Last edited:
OP
OP
BDennis

BDennis

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion, E450 Leprechaun
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Not a database, but proper records of routine maintenance are required, including receipts. No test need to performed when a receipt shows that you failed to use an oil that meets the required Ford specification.
Sponsored