Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 XL CP360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Are the city and hwy mpg flipped?
No. Hybrids typically get better City mileage than highway. Numbers seem a bit low compared to actual owner reports in this forum.

IMO, this CR review was not even a good comparison. The honda costs many thousands more than a Maverick.
Sponsored

grumpyunk

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mariner 85 Ranger 97 T-bird 87 Sable
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
ecoboost noise? Ha. I can't tell if it is running or not without looking at the tachometer when stopped for a signal. Maybe they just had to find something to complain about when comparing to the hybrid, which should be dead quiet when running on the electric.
I have always thought their customer base would not give a large enough sample size for any meaningful statistics, and with the number of Mavericks of all types produced at the time they must have been writing their critique, I have even less confidence they know what they are talking about.
Their reports remind me so much of the PBS program recorded in Maryland that had the most strange arguing points about the cars and trucks they 'tested'.

Gmood1

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
G-man
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Optima
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
From the above pierce:

"and we like that the hybrid eliminates the turbo model’s annoying engine vibrations."

Can anyone with an EB comments on the annoying engine vibrations? Do you EB owner's find that to be true?
There's no real vibration. As others have mentioned, you hear the high pressure fuel pump when starting the vehicle.
I expected it to have vibration , but was pleasantly surprised!

If they want to feel vibration, CR needs the test drive the Nissan Altima with the 2.0 VC turbo. You'll feel the vibration from the engine through the steering wheel with it. I feel no such vibration with the Maverick EB.

OP
OP
JASmith

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No. Hybrids typically get better City mileage than highway. Numbers seem a bit low compared to actual owner reports in this forum.
CR's MPG overall 37 / City 33 / highway 39

They probably meant 39 city and 33 highway, that's what people are referring to that was flipped.

uh50

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hchaney.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, VB, 2.0 EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ford Maverick Hybrid Outstanding Fuel Economy for a Truck

WE WERE IMPRESSED with the Maverick when we tested the turbo version earlier this year. The Bronco Sportbased pickup is relatively inexpensive and delivers a more refi ned ride than traditional trucks, making it a pleasant daily driver. Even with its short, 4.5-foot bed, it’s great for weekend yard tasks, such as hauling bags of mulch or making runs to the dump. The hybrid version we tested this month can do those same basic workhorse tasks, but the powertrain—which combines a four-cylinder engine with electric drive and a continuously variable transmission—registered 37 mpg overall in our tests, making it far more efficient than any other pickup.

It’s not as quick as the turbo model, but the electric motor gives smooth and robust response at low speeds, and we like that the hybrid eliminates the turbo model’s annoying engine vibrations. The hybrid comes only with front-wheel drive, which might disqualify it as a practical choice in snowy regions. Towing is limited to 2,000 pounds, only half of what’s possible with the turbo engine, but its 1,500-pound payload capacity is stout. We were annoyed by the grabbiness of the hybrid’s brakes at low speeds, which can make it diffi cult to stop exactly where you want without adjusting your pressure on the pedal.

The hybrid is a bit quieter than the regular Maverick, thanks to its ability to drive under electric power at low speeds and because our tested Lariat trim’s acousticglass windshield cuts down on highway wind noise. FCW and AEB with pedestrian detection come standard, with BSW and RCTW being optional.

Screenshot 2022-09-18 214050.png
Thanks JASmith for posting this information. I think the information is most telling about several different things. The first paragraph is pretty nice, especially considering it is from Consumer Guide about a Ford; it actually sounds like something they might write for a Lexus.

The comparison graphic is the most interesting to me because of the direct comparison of the Ridgeline to the Maverick. The first line comparing price is essentially the whole story for comparison. For a base price of $38,140 - $45,570 just about any manufacturer can build a refined little truck, but to build something in the base price range of $21k-27k that compares favorably to the more expensive truck is quite an accomplishment.

Interestingly, when comparing the Maverick hybrid to the Ridgeline (not hybrid) some of the comparisons are ridiculous. Consider the following points:
  • The Road Test Score are very near the same and when considering that one cost $20k more than the other, shows that the Maverick drives extremely well.
  • The MPG, 0-60 times, tow capacity, mileage range, and annual fuel cost are meaningless and more dependent on the the type of drive train used. It is the typical apples to oranges comparison.
  • If we were to compare the 2.0 Ecoboost to the Ridgline, the 0-60 times, MPG, and driving range would still favor the Maverick.
  • Add 4k towing and considering the cost to get the extra towing capacity against the cost of the Ridgeline would still favor the Maverick.
  • We know that owner satisfaction generally favors those vehicles that cost more, after all who is going to admit dissatisfaction with a vehicle that is over priced? Truth be told, not many.
  • Predicted reliability we actually can predict reliability based on the use of the 2.0 EB in the many Ford vehicles, and it is a reliable drive train, yet we do not know for sure about the hybrid.
I'll take the Maverick.

Last edited:

Sponsored

uh50

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hchaney.com
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
From the above pierce:

"and we like that the hybrid eliminates the turbo model’s annoying engine vibrations."

Can anyone with an EB comments on the annoying engine vibrations? Do you EB owner's find that to be true?
No, it's not true. I don't feel any vibration or turbo noise that bothers me. Quite frankly the transmission on the 2.0 EB is the smoothest shifting I remember. Overall, I just don't notice noises or vibration.

PaPaG

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Alto
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
76 = C average.
That is NOT what a score of "76" means on Consumer Reports. That is higher than most trucks score on Consumer Reports. I do not subscribe to CR, but I bet someone here can post some scores to illustrate this point, but I am fairly sure that the Ridgeline is their highest score for a not full sized truck. So if 81 is the high score, then 76/81 is a 94% of the high score, which for 21k/38k which is about 56% of the entry level cost.

uh50

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hchaney.com
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That is NOT what a score of "76" means on Consumer Reports. That is higher than most trucks score on Consumer Reports. I do not subscribe to CR, but I bet someone here can post some scores to illustrate this point, but I am fairly sure that the Ridgeline is their highest score for a not full sized truck. So if 81 is the high score, then 76/81 is a 94% of the high score, which for 21k/38k which is about 56% of the entry level cost.
Great point.

MLA62563

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
ecoboost noise? Ha. I can't tell if it is running or not without looking at the tachometer when stopped for a signal. Maybe they just had to find something to complain about when comparing to the hybrid, which should be dead quiet when running on the electric.
I have always thought their customer base would not give a large enough sample size for any meaningful statistics, and with the number of Mavericks of all types produced at the time they must have been writing their critique, I have even less confidence they know what they are talking about.
Their reports remind me so much of the PBS program recorded in Maryland that had the most strange arguing points about the cars and trucks they 'tested'.
There's no real vibration. As others have mentioned, you hear the high pressure fuel pump when starting the vehicle.
I expected it to have vibration , but was pleasantly surprised!

If they want to feel vibration, CR needs the test drive the Nissan Altima with the 2.0 VC turbo. You'll feel the vibration from the engine through the steering wheel with it. I feel no such vibration with the Maverick EB.
I think I've seen an extended version of this review where they get into greater detail. And I believe the vibration they are referring to relates to the habit of the eight speed transmission to hop quickly up into the higher gears under moderate acceleration (In search of better efficiency, no doubt...), creating a "lugging" sensation that bothered them. Of course, if you never accelerate moderately, you may never notice it. 😉

Gmood1

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
G-man
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Optima
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think I've seen an extended version of this review where they get into greater detail. And I believe the vibration they are referring to relates to the habit of the eight speed transmission to hop quickly up into the higher gears under moderate acceleration (In search of better efficiency, no doubt...), creating a "lugging" sensation that bothered them. Of course, if you never accelerate moderately, you may never notice it. 😉
Yeah, I've never noticed this on the Mav EB.
I get into mine all the time. It was the reason I bought the EB. 😂
I like how it pushes me back into the seat on hard acceleration.

Sponsored

Maverick Life

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Are the city and hwy mpg flipped?
Nope. It's a Consumer Reports thing:

Ford Maverick Consumer Reports 2022 Maverick Hybrid Review & Ranking [September Issue] Screen Shot 2022-09-19 at 11.53.33 AM

Using their method, they frequently see measurements that appear "flipped" with hybrids:
Ford Maverick Consumer Reports 2022 Maverick Hybrid Review & Ranking [September Issue] Screen Shot 2022-09-19 at 11.55.20 AM

I don't know all the details but we noticed this phenomenon a while back and it's pretty consistent across CR reviews of hybrid vehicles.

grumpyunk

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mariner 85 Ranger 97 T-bird 87 Sable
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Nope. It's a Consumer Reports thing:

Screen Shot 2022-09-19 at 11.53.33 AM.png

Using their method, they frequently see measurements that appear "flipped" with hybrids:
Screen Shot 2022-09-19 at 11.55.20 AM.png

I don't know all the details but we noticed this phenomenon a while back and it's pretty consistent across CR reviews of hybrid vehicles.
I have gotten close to the 39mpg highway they report with the hybrid in a 2WD ecoboost. With under 1,000 miles on the odometer.

mktmgrjrm

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Hybrid, Ford Fusion Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

papak

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The basic 2.0l short block that Ford uses has no balance shaft. The Mazda version of the same engine uses a balance shaft unit that definitely smooths out the acceleration. I have always thought that the Mazdas that I have driven have exhibited a smoother drivetrain and a more rubbery suspension than similar Ford products. Between the crankshaft and balance unit, the Mazda version of the engine is about 40 lbs heavier.

Area51BS

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Vibrations? None. Was driving through a parking lot recently. Guy asked if it was electric because he couldn’t hear it. It’s quiet at low rpm.
Sponsored