deadeye

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have a 2016 Ford Fiesta ST with a 197 horsepower ecoboost engine and 230 lb of torque. It is a very entertaining car! You can make it torque steer, but to do so you have to be trying to go damn fast. It is more obvious when you are also trying to corner hard, not a situation that is likely to occur very often in typical truck use. My two cents worth.
When I drove an early 2013 Focus ST with 2.0L, I would describe the test drive with 2 words "torque steer". But that was driving very aggressively playing with it. After owning a 2014 ST for 8 years now, I can tell you torque steer is only an issue if you are racing. Dumping the clutch with high RPMs from a dead stop, or turning from a dead stop while mashing the gas. Or maybe in the rain or snow.

Without the manual transmission and summer performance tires from Focus ST, you will probbaly never feel any noticeable torque steer. Automatic transmissions communicate with the engine and probably with steering input as well to minimize this, and there is also yaw control with braking and AWD to help with this as well.
Sponsored

JKinPA

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mountaineer
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I started looking up common problems for the 2.0 Ecoboost and found this article. This sounds like a real problem for a truck that will be doing some towing. Is anyone else concerned? Do you think Ford will address this issue?

2.0 EcoBoost Cracked Exhaust Manifold
Both generations of the 2.0 EB have an integrated exhaust manifold design. The manifold is made of stainless steel and integrated directly into the cylinder head. Note on European version of this engine, the exhaust manifold is not integrated, using a tradition cylinder head with individual exhaust ports and a conventional manifold.

On the 2.0 EB, exhaust gas temps can reach excessive temperatures, especially when towing or driving up grades. The constant heat cycles created by engines and fluctuating temperatures expands and contracts the stainless steel exhaust manifold. When you combine the continuous expansion and contraction with a vibrating engine, the exhaust manifold can form hairline cracks.

When an exhaust manifold cracks, air begins to seep out of the crack instead of flowing out of the exhaust. While this is not healthy for the environment, it also has significant performance and drivability implications. Turbochargers need back-pressure to operate efficiently. When the exhaust manifold cracks, all back-pressure is lost which means the turbo has to work extra hard to produce normal power levels

https://tuningpro.co/ford-2-0-ecoboost-engine-problems/
Nope
wife has the 2.0 in her Edge Titanium. Runs great and never had an issue. Happy to have that motor, great history as an Exceptional performer. You can worry, I will enjoy.

D K

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado, M3, Corvette
No.

some of the back pressure can be lost depending on the size of the crack

When the exhaust manifold cracks, all back-pressure is lost which means the turbo has to work extra hard to produce normal power levels

V2WIN

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks - I totally forgot about the connection to the turbo, this is a big help in understanding what's going on. At least it looks like an easy fix - a few nuts and studs to get the damaged one off and to put the new one on. Now I understand why they use stainless steel instead of cast iron in a typical exhaust manifold - the heat between the head and the turbo must be intense. I have never worked on a turbo engine - always something new to learn!
thx
GM had integrated exhaust manifold on 6 cylinder engines. They notoriously cracked, broke off from vibration. Only repair was complete head replacement. Hopefully this doesn't apply here.
Sponsored