IconicSilverMaverick

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Well, I have a loaded question that is likely to get some mixed responses. I have a 2.0 Ecoboost AWD with 4K tow, straight piped exhaust (no muffler) and intake. I'd like to get the tuner next, and I've whittled down my choices to either the COBB Accessport or JB4.

Interested in spraying a water/methanol mix - if I were to go with that, it sounds like the JB4 would be the best bet. I was pretty set on getting the JB4, but then COBB came out of nowhere with offering support for the Mav - and my decision seems more complicated.

What would you do!? Interested in everyone's thoughts.
Sponsored

colinl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick Lariat AWD, '22 Bronco OBX 2-Door
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

what's your interest in water/methanol injection? I've seen maybe one person talk about it, and I don't think any tuner has offered a solution and specific map for it, so you'd be kind of out there on the bleeding edge. there are many, many people running the hell out of the stock turbo without methanol injection and so far none of them have holed a piston or thrown a rod bearing or if they have they are not posting about it.

to me, one of the key value-adds of JB4 is that it's supposedly completely invisible to the ECU and telematics. if Ford or a Ford tech has ever said that the telematics unit can actually tell it's there, or was at one time, that would be news to me. (but it wouldn't be shocking.)

it can obviously be physically seen when installed, and after it's removed a trained person could know what to look for to guess that one was previously installed. once you add a methanol injector it becomes trivial to see it installed and difficult to remove all trace of that installation later.

cobb is different. it's a reflash. if you uninstall the accessport you get reflashed back to stock, but Ford techs will still see the flash count and if it's high it's going to be a red (or at least yellow LOL) flag. meaning one reflash on a Maverick, big deal. 25 but the map is stock, hmm, that truck clearly was tuned at some point.

because it's a reflash Cobb can and does tune transmission behavior as well. cobb's marketing, documentation and customer feedback is their transmission tuning is very good. there's at least 2 people who had SCT and switched to Cobb and said the shifting was vastly improved.

if you want something simple and maybe invisible, JB4. If you think you want to do methanol injection someday, aren't very concerned about powertrain warranty, and have high HP goals, I'd probably start with Cobb.

OP
OP
IconicSilverMaverick

IconicSilverMaverick

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
what's your interest in water/methanol injection? I've seen maybe one person talk about it, and I don't think any tuner has offered a solution and specific map for it, so you'd be kind of out there on the bleeding edge. there are many, many people running the hell out of the stock turbo without methanol injection and so far none of them have holed a piston or thrown a rod bearing or if they have they are not posting about it.

to me, one of the key value-adds of JB4 is that it's supposedly completely invisible to the ECU and telematics. if Ford or a Ford tech has ever said that the telematics unit can actually tell it's there, or was at one time, that would be news to me. (but it wouldn't be shocking.)

it can obviously be physically seen when installed, and after it's removed a trained person could know what to look for to guess that one was previously installed. once you add a methanol injector it becomes trivial to see it installed and difficult to remove all trace of that installation later.

cobb is different. it's a reflash. if you uninstall the accessport you get reflashed back to stock, but Ford techs will still see the flash count and if it's high it's going to be a red (or at least yellow LOL) flag. meaning one reflash on a Maverick, big deal. 25 but the map is stock, hmm, that truck clearly was tuned at some point.

because it's a reflash Cobb can and does tune transmission behavior as well. cobb's marketing, documentation and customer feedback is their transmission tuning is very good. there's at least 2 people who had SCT and switched to Cobb and said the shifting was vastly improved.

if you want something simple and maybe invisible, JB4. If you think you want to do methanol injection someday, aren't very concerned about powertrain warranty, and have high HP goals, I'd probably start with Cobb.
Man I appreciate your well thought out reply.

To answer your question, my interest in water/methanol injection lies in not wanting to replace the intercooler until there are more options available for turn-key turbo upgrade solutions. Injection will keep temps low when pushing the motor. It would be an easy and cost-effective upgrade to cool intake temps until I upgrade the turbo and intercooler; a stop gap so to speak. Would probably keep it installed after eventually upgrading the turbo and intercooler as another power adder, but with more methanol in the mix.

I saw that JB4 offers injection kits with JB4 compatibility which really peaked my interest. Burger reached out and said their JB4 can be easily adjusted for injection, and I don't know if Cobb has an easy solution for that.

I appreciate y'alls input!

Edited for grammar

colinl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

So if being undetectable isn't a high priority for you I would get Cobb. Also, I see you're in Texas and so is Cobb, as well as an absolute army of reselllers and tuners. Check their website, reach out to them here in MTC and if any of the gold tuners for Ford are near you go talk to them.

Methanol injection isn't high on my list. You can go far with just 93 octane, I'd head down that path and see where you end up.

OP
OP
IconicSilverMaverick

IconicSilverMaverick

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So if being undetectable isn't a high priority for you I would get Cobb. Also, I see you're in Texas and so is Cobb, as well as an absolute army of reselllers and tuners. Check their website, reach out to them here in MTC and if any of the gold tuners for Ford are near you go talk to them.

Methanol injection isn't high on my list. You can go far with just 93 octane, I'd head down that path and see where you end up.
Awesome! Didn't know they were in TX. I'll check them out more carefully and holler at some Gold tuners. Appreciate that feedback!

Sponsored

es7129

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The other thing to consider is if you plan to run e30. Cobb OTS is only offered up to 93, while the JB4 can go up e30.
If you’re looking for a bolt-on turbo upgrade check out @Fast Mavericks. Their entry level kit will get you into the 12s and if possibly into the 11s depending on on your supporting mods.
They also have a presale available on their large FMIC kit with hardpipes.

colinl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

The other thing to consider is if you plan to run e30. Cobb OTS is only offered up to 93, while the JB4 can go up e30.
If you’re looking for a bolt-on turbo upgrade check out @Fast Mavericks. Their entry level kit will get you into the 12s and if possibly into the 11s depending on on your supporting mods.
They also have a presale available on their large FMIC kit with hardpipes.
E30 is trash if you can get premium unleaded 93 instead. E30 is typically 93-94 octane, yes, but it has a lot less chemical fuel content than 93.

Make sure you know what you're getting into if you're replacing your turbo. It probably shouldn't be anyone's step 1 😆

es7129

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
E30 is trash if you can get premium unleaded 93 instead. E30 is typically 93-94 octane, yes, but it has a lot less chemical fuel content than 93.

Make sure you know what you're getting into if you're replacing your turbo. It probably shouldn't be anyone's step 1 😆
E30 is the equivalent of 96 octane when mixed with 93.
An e30 tune creates more power than a 93 tune.
The JB4 on e30 outperformed the Cobb OTS 93 tune on my Mavs.

jewc75

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Z06 12 Mustang 22 Maverick 93 Lightning 19 GTI
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
E30 isnt trash. Lol. Lots of stock Golf R's, GTI's and Audis all run E30. Ive run E30 in the Maverick on the stock tune and datalogged it, it runs much better than on 93.

colinl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

E30 is the equivalent of 96 octane when mixed with 93.
An e30 tune creates more power than a 93 tune.
The JB4 on e30 outperformed the Cobb OTS 93 tune on my Mavs.
Interesting you've had both. How's the Cobb shifting compared to JB4?

Sponsored

es7129

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Interesting you've had both. How's the Cobb shifting compared to JB4?
The JB4 shifted like stock, whereas the Cobb is greatly improved especially in Sport mode. You can also dial in your throttle sensitivity with the Accessport which is like getting a free Pedal Commander.
I had an old AP that I attempted to use, failure on my part killed it, so then I found one locally and had it relicensed for the Maverick while I was waiting on datalogging from Livernois.
I’ve also ran the RaceChip GTS.
The Accessport itself is the best handheld device, but I prefer the Livernois tuning.

colinl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

E30 isnt trash. Lol. Lots of stock Golf R's, GTI's and Audis all run E30. Ive run E30 in the Maverick on the stock tune and datalogged it, it runs much better than on 93.
I'll admit it was a sloppy comment.

There's no E30 near me and last time I visited Texas I didn't notice any but I also didn't go out of my way. Kinda sidetracking from the OP discussion, but anyway..

If your Maverick is a daily driver it's going to be desirable to use ordinary pump gas instead of storing and mixing your own ethanol blend. I can see the value in a E30 tune for special occasions.

jewc75

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Z06 12 Mustang 22 Maverick 93 Lightning 19 GTI
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
E30 is 8 gallons of 93 and 4 gallons of E85. Been running it in my GTI and Mav for 30k and 10k respect.

OP
OP
IconicSilverMaverick

IconicSilverMaverick

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Reviving this for a question. Do I need a PC to add tunes to the Cobb device? I see the JB4 allows for additions through the smart phone app. That might drive my decision. I don't want to buy a PC. If I have to buy a computer to get the most use out of Cobb, I could save a significant amount of money by going with the JB4 instead.

OP
OP
IconicSilverMaverick

IconicSilverMaverick

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Reviving this for a question. Do I need a PC to add tunes to the Cobb device? I see the JB4 allows for additions through the smart phone app. That might drive my decision. I don't want to buy a PC. If I have to buy a computer to get the most use out of Cobb, I could save a significant amount of money by going with the JB4 instead.
I did some googling and looks like for firmware and map updates I would indeed need a PC or Mac for the tune kit from Cobb. For financial reasons I'll likely go with the JB4.
Sponsored