Clueless Dealer

ldog2003

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01 Ranger XLT, '22 Maverick XLT Lux Ordered
I ordered my Maverick yesterday. My dealer was clueless, he could not answer any basic questions, gave me information I knew was incorrect and I had to correct him, and the only information he had on the truck was some internet print-offs and some black and white copies. I was really hoping for a better experience. Specifically I was hoping to see samples of the colors and the interior materials. I did submit my order, but there were several times I felt I should walk away and order with a different dealer. Has anyone else had this experience?
Sponsored

giddyup

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape, Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I ordered my Maverick yesterday. My dealer was clueless, he could not answer any basic questions, gave me information I knew was incorrect and I had to correct him, and the only information he had on the truck was some internet print-offs and some black and white copies. I was really hoping for a better experience. Specifically I was hoping to see samples of the colors and the interior materials. I did submit my order, but there were several times I felt I should walk away and order with a different dealer. Has anyone else had this experience?
Yes, absolutely. Many dealers seem stuck in the past and are unwilling or incapable of meeting customer service expectations. That is why many of us are ordering from a dealer halfway across the country.

SilverWind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 hyundai tuscon ordered xlt maverick
You have to remember that the trainers are just now starting to make their rounds at dealerships so not everybody has had the chance to get caught up with all of this yet.

That being said though I do agree that some dealerships are stuck in the days of old and don't know how to get their own info.

CACTI_HYBRID

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It would seem that unless they have an actual vehicle on the lot they show little interest. One would think Ford would be sure every dealer had a Maverick for the showroom and hung big banners - "Now here - The New Ford Maverick!" I'm always shocked at such a lack of fanfare for a new exciting product.

Art_Vandelay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid Lariat, Subaru WRX
It would seem that unless they have an actual vehicle on the lot they show little interest. One would think Ford would be sure every dealer had a Maverick for the showroom and hung big banners - "Now here - The New Ford Maverick!" I'm always shocked at such a lack of fanfare for a new exciting product.
Dealerships are in the business of selling cars today and have little interest in cars that are months away from hitting the lots. Also no one seems to invest money into training sales staff anymore. A dealership can have a really good and knowledgeable sales guy who takes the initiative to educate himself about the product and sitting right next to him can be a complete goober who’s only hope of selling a car is to have someone sit down in front of him and hand him money. Sales as a profession is truly dying. Even my own company’s owners doesn’t really believe it’s that valuable anymore.

Sponsored

Down

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick/02 Z06 Vette
Dealerships are in the business of selling cars today and have little interest in cars that are months away from hitting the lots. Also no one seems to invest money into training sales staff anymore. A dealership can have a really good and knowledgeable sales guy who takes the initiative to educate himself about the product and sitting right next to him can be a complete goober who’s only hope of selling a car is to have someone sit down in front of him and hand him money. Sales as a profession is truly dying. Even my own company’s owners doesn’t really believe it’s that valuable anymore.
That same vibe is everywhere. Crazy to think that it wasn’t that long ago that damn near every person you talked to at Home Depot was phenomenally knowledgeable. That’s because they hired electricians to work electrical, landscapers to work garden, etc. You could go in and buy a $3 part and get a half hour discussion on how to make the repair.

Not so much anymore tho. Half the workers can’t even tell you where things are, but hey! They were able to cut their costs down so now nails are $0.60 cheaper. :confused:

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It used to be car sales people worked strictly on commission, but in recent years dealers have begun to pay salary & benefits (at least for a specified training period) and some use a hybrid model of Salary + commission. Locally I noticed no reduction in sales force even with no inventory on their lot. They couldn't live on a straight commission model now, so the unmotivated clueless people are probably on salary with little incentive for self training on new vehicles like the Maverick. We are now living in a world where McDonalds recruits people to start at $18.00 per hour so I'm not surprised with lame employees anymore :sleep:

BARTMAVERICK

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My dealership has a specific person that handles ALL the Bronco and Maverick orders and has gone to various training seminars and events offered by Ford.

JKinPA

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mountaineer
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

My dealership has a specific person that handles ALL the Bronco and Maverick orders and has gone to various training seminars and events offered by Ford.
Who's your dealer? I am close in York and always like to know the good local dealers. I have purchased from Bob Ruth in the past.

Sponsored

BARTMAVERICK

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Who's your dealer? I am close in York and always like to know the good local dealers. I have purchased from Bob Ruth in the past.
Whitmoyer Ford in Mt. Joy. Diana Wade is the dedicated Bronco and Maverick person. I bought my '19 Corvette from their Chev dealership and was impressed so I reserved a Bronco Wildtrak and ordered my Maverick from them.

JKinPA

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mountaineer
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Whitmoyer Ford in Mt. Joy. Diana Wade is the dedicated Bronco and Maverick person. I bought my '19 Corvette from their Chev dealership and was impressed so I reserved a Bronco Wildtrak and ordered my Maverick from them.
Nice
Thanks

Pairof98s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ram 1500, 2020 4Runner
Yes, i agree with the comments above regarding sell what they have. Sales “consultants” are the least knowledgeable and it is mostly sales managers who really understand the ordering and financial details. Few dealers will allow you to work directly with the manager though. I am impressed with these owners who are doing forum group buys and advocate for transparency to the paying customers.

theek

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V, Subaru CrossTrek
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The concept of auto dealer is dying as manufacturers move to build to order. Electric cars will destroy them due to minimal servicing requirements.

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The concept of auto dealer is dying as manufacturers move to build to order. Electric cars will destroy them due to minimal servicing requirements.
People like to say that forgetting that powertrain is only one part of the equation. EVs still have tires, suspension, steering, HVAC, no shortage of electronics and need warranty repairs or get damaged. And used car sales are still a thing. If anything even more profitable than selling new.
Sponsored