Sylvester

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The numbers for the standard Maverick are saying 1500lb hauling capacity in the bed and 2000lb towing capacity. Can someone clarify 2 questions here:

- When I have my Bed full with 1500lb, how much can I have additionally inside the cabin? Or does the 1500lb count total hauling including passenger and everything what is in the cabin and in the bed?
- When I have max out the hauling capacity (Bed and Cabin), can I additionally tow 2000lb?

thanks for your answers
Sponsored

ackables

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Look at this document and find the GCWR for the Maverick trim you are interested in. The GCWR for the base hybrid is 6,010 pounds. This means that the weight of the truck, passengers, cargo, and trailer can't be over 6,010 pounds. The base hybrid weighs 3,674 pounds. This leaves 2,336 pounds left. Let's say 336 pounds is going to be the weight of two adults in the truck. That leaves 2,000 pounds left. With the 336 pounds of passengers, that only leaves 1,164 pounds for cargo in the bed. That leaves 836 pound that you could tow, but if you want to tow, the trailer will have tongue weight which factors into payload in the bed. Let's say you have 400 pounds of tongue weight with your trailer. That limits your cargo capacity to 764 pounds in the bed. Since that 400 pounds is part of the trailer, that leaves 1,236 pounds you could have towed behind you.

So that leaves 336 pounds of humans, 764 pounds of cargo, and 1,236 pounds of trailer you can have with a base hybrid maverick.

Edit: I got too caught up in word problems. 1500 pounds is the total weight that the suspension of the truck can carry including the passengers. 2000 pounds is the max weight a trailer can weigh. 6,010 is the max weight the truck can tow/haul at once. The numbers are different for the ecoboost with tow package, but not for ecoboost with no tow package.

OP
OP
Sylvester

Sylvester

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Look at this document and find the GCWR for the Maverick trim you are interested in. The GCWR for the base hybrid is 6,010 pounds. This means that the weight of the truck, passengers, cargo, and trailer can't be over 6,010 pounds. The base hybrid weighs 3,674 pounds. This leaves 2,336 pounds left. Let's say 336 pounds is going to be the weight of two adults in the truck. That leaves 2,000 pounds left. With the 336 pounds of passengers, that only leaves 1,164 pounds for cargo in the bed. That leaves 836 pound that you could tow, but if you want to tow, the trailer will have tongue weight which factors into payload in the bed. Let's say you have 400 pounds of tongue weight with your trailer. That limits your cargo capacity to 764 pounds in the bed. Since that 400 pounds is part of the trailer, that leaves 1,236 pounds you could have towed behind you.

So that leaves 336 pounds of humans, 764 pounds of cargo, and 1,236 pounds of trailer you can have with a base hybrid maverick.

Edit: I got too caught up in word problems. 1500 pounds is the total weight that the suspension of the truck can carry including the passengers. 2000 pounds is the max weight a trailer can weigh. 6,010 is the max weight the truck can tow/haul at once. The numbers are different for the ecoboost with tow package, but not for ecoboost with no tow package.
Thank you very much, very clear!

atomguy245

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Bolt EUV, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
How they advertise cargo capacity is really confusing for regular people. They never explain that you have to subtract the weight of the passengers from the rated cargo capacity. Imagine 5 full size adults in a Maverick weighing 200lbs each. Now you can only put 500lbs in the bed.

(This is not a complaint about Ford, it's a complaint about how the industry advertises the cargo capacity of every truck)

OP
OP
Sylvester

Sylvester

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
How they advertise cargo capacity is really confusing for regular people. They never explain that you have to subtract the weight of the passengers from the rated cargo capacity. Imagine 5 full size adults in a Maverick weighing 200lbs each. Now you can only put 500lbs in the bed.

(This is not a complaint about Ford, it's a complaint about how the industry advertises the cargo capacity of every truck)
Couldn't agree more, therefore I started this thread. I am pretty sure there are many people who don't know this and load up their truck over limit.

dceggert

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion, 2019 Ranger, 2024 Maverick ordered
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

The number is the payload capacity not the cargo carrying capacity. The two are not the same. Payload is defined as Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) less the empty weight. This is the maximum the truck is designed to carry. The payload includes everything you put in the truck including passengers and stuff, and accessories. The confusion comes in when people refer to this as cargo capacity implying after passengers are in the vehicle. Also confusing is when you add devices like audio power amps, roof racks, bed liners, tonneua covers, larger wheels and tires, hitch mounted accessories, etc., this all factors into your payload as well.

When towing, the most the combined vehicle and trailer can weigh is the Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating (GCVWR). When a trailer is attached the tongue weight has to be factored into the vehicle weight as well, further reducing carrying capacity.
Sponsored