bombast

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yeah, this. If Chevy wanted the US compact truck market, it'd just do whatever it needs to import Tornadoes and that'd be the end of it. But for whatever reason they're still sinking costs on the same oversized pedestrian mashers that everyone else is.
As I recall, they can't import them because they likely don't meet safety and emission standards in the US. After you factor in the cost of meeting those standards, plus tariffs, there's probably very little profit left in these trucks.
Sponsored

pjlawton

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick First Edition Lariat
Not a bad looking truck, does look like the Santa Cruz a little. The 2 door version looks like a Smart Car. with a tail. LOL

Ford Maverick Chevrolet is working on a new compact pickup truck for 2023 called the Montana 1647270064245
Ford Maverick Chevrolet is working on a new compact pickup truck for 2023 called the Montana 1647270093998
Ford Maverick Chevrolet is working on a new compact pickup truck for 2023 called the Montana 1647270064245
Ford Maverick Chevrolet is working on a new compact pickup truck for 2023 called the Montana 1647270093998

Reactions: Dad

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, - Lariat, Hyundai Palisade
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm glad Ford decided to ignore aerodynamics for truck styling. They may have sacrificed a mpg or two for that front end, but I for one am glad they took that route.
Totally agree. My Maverick looks like a truck ... and it is a truck.

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I know I have beaten this to death, but I owned a 2003 Avalanche and would love it if GM made a miniature Avalanche. I'm excited that the new Silverado EV is basically an Avalanche, but just shrink it. The midgate system was an ingenious invention at the time. Put that midgate system into a truck with a 4 foot bed and you have a winner. Being able to easily convert a 4 foot bed to a 6 foot bed would be a huge advantage over the Maverick. I also loved the fact that I could fold down the back seat of my Avalanche without removing the tonneau cover or rear window and haul 10 foot long 2x4's completely sealed and locked with the tailgate up. GM also did well blending SUV and truck styling. It seems to make too much sense to bring that midgate system to a small truck that could use extra bed space. I also loved the side storage bins but that may impede too much on the width of the bed on a smaller truck. The answer to the Maverick seems pretty easy for GM. Just shrink down the old Avalanche. If they do it, I'm a buyer.
All of that would bump of the base price and potentially lose a budget minded market don't you think? But, I agree those are features that would attract a good percentage of buyers.

Sponsored

BingoDingo

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Nonya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Those saying they want it to look like a truck, that truck shape is what kills they hybrid gas mileage on the highway. I wonder if this is a response to that? Looks like a Subaru product if you ask me.

cyberdog

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'd be surprised if that makes it to the US, the current model is South America/Mexico only. Very small engine in the current model, so doubt the v6 reports. If it is true, you know that saying about a dollar short and a day late, well they're $1.50 per gallon late.

And it sure does look like a photoshop of a Santa Cruz.

Thrillhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
All of that would bump of the base price and potentially lose a budget minded market don't you think? But, I agree those are features that would attract a good percentage of buyers.
All of what? It would just be the midgate system which GM introduced over 20 years ago. At worst it would compete financially with the Santa Cruz. GM could even make the midgate optional then on higher trims. Imagine to if GM offered their multi-pro tailgate. Technology GM already has.

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
All of what? It would just be the midgate system which GM introduced over 20 years ago. At worst it would compete financially with the Santa Cruz. GM could even make the midgate optional then on higher trims. Imagine to if GM offered their multi-pro tailgate. Technology GM already has.
Correct me if I"m wrong, but you also mentioned being able to fold down the rear seat to make it part of the bed. Not sure if that's doable with a unibody construction.

Sponsored

Thrillhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Correct me if I"m wrong, but you also mentioned being able to fold down the rear seat to make it part of the bed. Not sure if that's doable with a unibody construction.
That's how the midgate system worked and it would need to be on a unibody and/or suv body. On the Avalanche, you could remove the rear window and fold down the back seat so your bed would extend into the cab and give you two additional feet of bed space. You could also leave the rear window in place and just fold down the backseat giving you access into the bed. This was good for hauling things like 2.x4's or 8 foot long sheets of plywood. You could slide them into the cab, close the tailgate without removing the tonneau cover and they would be perfectly secured inside. With a truck that has a 4 foot bed, that would be a huge advantage. The Avalanche was essentially a Suburban with a pickup bed and the ability to remove the back window and fold down the seat. Just shrink that to Equinox size and we have a winner.

24forsure

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Lariat Ecoboost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Sure looks like a rebadged Santa Cruz to me!

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That's how the midgate system worked and it would need to be on a unibody and/or suv body. On the Avalanche, you could remove the rear window and fold down the back seat so your bed would extend into the cab and give you two additional feet of bed space. You could also leave the rear window in place and just fold down the backseat giving you access into the bed. This was good for hauling things like 2.x4's or 8 foot long sheets of plywood. You could slide them into the cab, close the tailgate without removing the tonneau cover and they would be perfectly secured inside. With a truck that has a 4 foot bed, that would be a huge advantage. The Avalanche was essentially a Suburban with a pickup bed and the ability to remove the back window and fold down the seat. Just shrink that to Equinox size and we have a winner.
That makes perfect sense. You might consider a career at Ford! My brother's wife drove an Avalance. She loved it ... now I know why.
Thanks for educating me.

Starwatcher

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
RICHARD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid