First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well, I have a fun little story. So I order my XLT Maverick Hybrid pretty early, and it finally came in late December. I was on school break, so I had to wait until January 4th to pick it up. I was super stoked when I finally picked it up! Months of anticipation and scrolling through pics on this forum finally led me to this day! So I finished all the paperwork got the keys and drove to Natomas Area in Sacramento to show it off to some family. I picked my mom up to go to Costco, and as we were leaving from Costco, I saw this "Engine Coolant Over Temperature" alert. Turned into a CEL about 2 miles later, and I have been without a car for over a week. Fortunately it broke down right in front of another dealership, but I missed my cousin's basketball game that night and a whole bunch of other stuff over the week because I've been without a car. Apparently, I have a bad cylinder head temperature sensor. They actually got the new part in yesterday but called me up to tell me that the new part was bad as well, so I have to wait possibly another week before it gets fixed. Drove it less than 50 miles, and it already broke down. My friend said that you know the truck is a Ford because the hood is always up, so I'm really hoping I didn't drop 26K on a total P.O.S. I really hope this pickup doesn't have a million more problems later down the road, because I really had high hopes for it.

Ford Maverick Check Engine Light at 72.7 miles IMG_0021

Ford Maverick Check Engine Light at 72.7 miles IMG_0022
Sponsored

snowcatxx87

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1290SDR EVO / Tiger 900RP / 300cc Grom / Surron
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Good thing you have warranty and not paying for this. I am also guessing you get a loaner at no charge, as well.

Bad things happen all the time. It's how you handle it. Why get all negative, "hope it doesn't have a million problems". 🤦‍♂️

WesM

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sorry to hear that, I have not seen anyone else mention this issue though, so hopefully its an isolated case.

Good thing you have warranty and not paying for this. I am also guessing you get a loaner at no charge, as well.

Bad things happen all the time. It's how you handle it. Why get all negative, "hope it doesn't have a million problems". 🤦‍♂️
OP mentioned not having a vehicle and missing stuff over the week, so I am guessing he did not get a loaner.

pigsareus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
interesting that the gauge reads cold.. More interesting is you drove it an extra 2 miles with the message.
yeah...I wouldn't adverstise that part! Hopefully it was just the sensor being bad and not the sensor being good but the engine actually overheating...

MojoJojo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mav Hybrid XLT
It sucks to have these issues, but its a brand new vehicle so teething problems are to be expected. Happens pretty much with all new cars/manufacturers. Some will have issues and some won't and will be solid as a rock. Manufacturers go through a few production cycles before majority of kinks are ironed out on new vehicles (by new i mean completely new design from ground up).

Hope dealer takes care of you.

Sponsored

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sorry to hear that, I have not seen anyone else mention this issue though, so hopefully its an isolated case.

OP mentioned not having a vehicle and missing stuff over the week, so I am guessing he did not get a loaner.
My insurance policy has rental car coverage up to $1500. I have only used it while car in body shop as I never had need otherwise.

johnpbrewer

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Ford Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well, I have a fun little story. So I order my XLT Maverick Hybrid pretty early, and it finally came in late December. I was on school break, so I had to wait until January 4th to pick it up. I was super stoked when I finally picked it up! Months of anticipation and scrolling through pics on this forum finally led me to this day! So I finished all the paperwork got the keys and drove to Natomas Area in Sacramento to show it off to some family. I picked my mom up to go to Costco, and as we were leaving from Costco, I saw this "Engine Coolant Over Temperature" alert. Turned into a CEL about 2 miles later, and I have been without a car for over a week. Fortunately it broke down right in front of another dealership, but I missed my cousin's basketball game that night and a whole bunch of other stuff over the week because I've been without a car. Apparently, I have a bad cylinder head temperature sensor. They actually got the new part in yesterday but called me up to tell me that the new part was bad as well, so I have to wait possibly another week before it gets fixed. Drove it less than 50 miles, and it already broke down. My friend said that you know the truck is a Ford because the hood is always up, so I'm really hoping I didn't drop 26K on a total P.O.S. I really hope this pickup doesn't have a million more problems later down the road, because I really had high hopes for it.

IMG_0021.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg
So, you have experienced the only two bad cylinder head temperature sensors for the Maverick? Not to make you worry, but it might be something else.

vezpa

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
EMG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too many to list.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I had a check engine light go on in my GMC Sonoma with 9 miles on it lol.

It was just a faulty oxygen sensor and was quickly fixed and never gave me another problem until I sold it.

OP
OP

mpb

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Yeah, hopefully it doesn't come up for anyone else. Apparently it's not that big of a deal, but it's just a little bit of a bummer. I just got my loaner car today after a good amount of back and forth between the dealer, so things are going better.

Sponsored
OP
OP

mpb

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So, you have experienced the only two bad cylinder head temperature sensors for the Maverick? Not to make you worry, but it might be something else.
That's actually exactly what I was thinking. I've heard
That's exactly what I was thinking. I had an old ranger as a Covid project, and the forums said that problems were rarely sensor related.........here's to hoping.

Elotak

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick/hybrid/xlt/blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Huh, engine over-temp msg but the Gage reads cold, that's weird. I guess they could have programmed that msg to display whenever it's outside of the expected parameters just to ensure you take action. Also seems weird that it quit running if it wasn't actually overheating; I would expect a CEL and a limp mode to get you off the road safely. I guess you did say you were able to go a short distance afterwards. Well that sucks. Sorry this happened to you. Hopefully they take good care of you. It only takes a few bad experiences with a vehicle to make someone steer clear from a make/model for life.

Mymaverick2021

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steveo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

IMG_0021.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg
Ford stands for FOUND ON ROAD DEAD😂🤣😂
Sponsored