teh603

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Subaru Outback, '09 Honda Fit
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The owner's manual says to change the brake fluid every 3 years. Interesting for me, for a couple of reasons. Like, I don't remember seeing that instruction in other owner's manuals. They normally just say "Check brake linings." Which is probably holdover language from drum brakes, but anyway.

Also, my Jeep recently had to have its brake fluid replaced. Tech notes suggested there might've been more humidity than fluid, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was original.

How come the change? People having wrecks because their brake fluid had too much moisture, or the insides of the cylinders rotted out?

I hasten to add that I'm not saying this is a bad thing. Just it's a change from what it usually said.
Sponsored

LineNoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suburban
Everything degrades over time.

I was told long ago by mechanics at a Ford dealer that brake fluid absorbs moisture. I don't know enough and haven't researched it throroughly to know how accurate that is but it sounds plausible as pretty much anything absorbs moisture.

TacoHolder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not Mav
Brake fluid is corrosive and contains anti-corrosive additives. Over time the additives get consumed and old fluid can start to damage parts, though this is pretty unlikely outside of a spill. If you do replace the brake fluid, might as well drain the whole system and upgrade to stainless braided lines in the process.

B_kiz

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 maverick XLT white
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Brake fluid is corrosive and contains anti-corrosive additives. Over time the additives get consumed and old fluid can start to damage parts, though this is pretty unlikely outside of a spill. If you do replace the brake fluid, might as well drain the whole system and upgrade to stainless braided lines in the process.
Over time sure.. but no way in 3 years does this need to be done

Sponsored

jeffrol48197

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Explorer, 2009 Focus, 2019 Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
With all the high tech components with ABS and the hydraulic control units, corrosive and/or hygroscopic brake fluid causes internal corrosion and premature failure, which can be big $$$ - follow the recommended schedule (y)
This wasn't a big thing in the old days, but getting to be more necessary as the cars become more advanced...

Tyler

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Subaru Ascent, 2023 Mavrick (Hybrid)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Brake fluid has a very high boiling point (400F+) to withstand the extreme heat caused from braking.

Water obviously can’t handle these high temperatures and under extreme braking loads the water boiling will cause the brakes to become inoperable.

Afaik brake fluid has always been a service item. Personally once a year I will suck out fluid from the reservoir (careful not to let air into the system) and replace with clean fluid to try and avoid having to do a completely system flush.

Randy H.

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick & Civic
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
A brake fluid hack I was told by a Honda trained mechanic, that I do. Get a turkey baster and pull one-two basters full of brake fluid out each year, then put new fluid back to the same level it was. It It will mix together and keep the fluid fresh. Basically, never have to fully change the fluid and/or bleed the brakes.

Bad Actor

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Ranger XLT, 73 Mustang Base, 02 Toyota Camry
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Brake fluid is hydroscopic, absorbs water, and when contaminated with too much water will cause braking problems such as corrosion and loss of brake performance. The water can boil off in a hot caliper turning to vapor which is compressible and cause a spongy feel to the brakes. Follow the manufacturers recommendation and change fluid when it starts to turn dark.

TheGriffin1313

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mongo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mav, 05 M3, 07GSXR
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Everything degrades over time.

I was told long ago by mechanics at a Ford dealer that brake fluid absorbs moisture. I don't know enough and haven't researched it throroughly to know how accurate that is but it sounds plausible as pretty much anything absorbs moisture.
More of an accumulation then absorption but yes that stuff is bad. Gas pockets are created and these (air) pockets give a spongy response As gas compresses more than the oil does. These gases are a byproduct created during this decomposition of old oil with the added moisture. 3 years does seam aggressive but they may have performed tests and believe that the system will benefit with longevity if done it this cycle.

Manufactures are moving to cheaper materials longevity is not a design requirement these days. Most people trade a car in every 3 years to 5 years. leased or purchased FOMO is what they depend on.

Sponsored

Falcon first

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3, BMW M235 coupe
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
On my 2 BMW’s its every 2 years so feel lucky its every 3 years.

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The owner's manual says to change the brake fluid every 3 years. Interesting for me, for a couple of reasons. Like, I don't remember seeing that instruction in other owner's manuals.
Both our Honda's (CR-V and Fit) had the exact same instructions (in the manual) to "change the brake fluid every 3 years".

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
A brake fluid hack I was told by a Honda trained mechanic, that I do. Get a turkey baster and pull one-two basters full of brake fluid out each year, then put new fluid back to the same level it was. It It will mix together and keep the fluid fresh. Basically, never have to fully change the fluid and/or bleed the brakes.
I do that hack "turkey baster" for the Power Steering Fluid. Costs $9.17. I do this three times: remove PS Fluid then replace with new PS Fluid then drive a few weeks then repeat. That way I get all the fluid exchanged.

The hack for using the turkey baster for the brakes is NOT RECOMMENDED:

Changing brake fluid using the turkey baster method, not recommended

From the thread:

OP, your terminology is inaccurate. The "turkey baster" method does not change brake fluid. It replaces the most visible brake fluid to make it look fresh and clean- it is the "method" 2nd-rate auto dealers and 2nd-rate mechanics use to convince buyers and customers that their brake fluid was "changed".

Brake fluid is hygroscopic- it collects water which is why pretty much every auto manufacturer recommends changing the fluid ("changing" meaning actually bleeding brake fluid through the calipers) every 2-3 years, regardless of mileage. Yes, I know some guy has an uncle that drove a Ford for 30 years on the original brake fluid blah blah....don't be that guy.

Last edited:

rlhdweman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
64 Caddy Fleetwood,73 Caddy Sedan,75 Eldorado Conv
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've been doing this for years with all my vehicles. My Taurus had a scheduled brake fluid change, I finally had it done when it was 10 years old.

PNWMaverick

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Wow. You all go awhile between changes. I suppose I aggressively maintain our vehicles, but not changing your brake fluid for 3 years?! Once a year here on our vehicles.

On our Ecoboost Flex I completely flush and exchange all fluids every 25,000 miles. It works out to be hundreds, and hundreds, but helping keep it from going EcoBoom is the name of the game.
Sponsored