First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Not a Maverick or Ford specific issue. Why are we locked into using AT&T as a service provider? It’s all wireless. We should be able to choose who we want to pay.
Sponsored

Portcqb

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Lux 2.0 AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm sure ATT gives ford a kickback due to volume of units they have connected. The unit can be disabled but there usually isn't a removable sim card so it's stuck with the selected carriers network.

paneubert

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL/4K/AWD/CoPilot/CactusG/SlidingRearWindow
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If you could access the SIM card, I am sure you could manage to switch providers. I am sure all it would take is paying for a data only plan with whatever carrier you want.

Naranjita

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
NAH-RON-EE-TAH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Also, Ford probably uses AT&T specific LTE bands in their radios. Which may provide limited or no compatibility with your cell provider. There are a lot of variables at play here. Not technically impossible, but everyone's mileage may vary depending on their specifics, if we could unlock our Maverick's LTE radio and SIM card slot.

Sponsored

SkeeterB

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat Lux, 4K, FX4, 360, Velocity Blue
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Use Android Auto or CarPlay and suffer through them. I use the Sync 3 alone most of the time and a second phone for Maps while on trips.

Jakb

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm sure ATT gives ford a kickback due to volume of units they have connected. The unit can be disabled but there usually isn't a removable sim card so it's stuck with the selected carriers network.
This is definitely the case with these. No way Ford would advertise for ATT so much if it was just a limitation of the hardware.

I'm disappointed that it's not sim swappable, but not at all surprised. When it runs out I'll probably just put out a call to friends and family and toss someone $20 a month to hop on their plan.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you could access the SIM card, I am sure you could manage to switch providers. I am sure all it would take is paying for a data only plan with whatever carrier you want.
If you replaced the sim card Ford would lose all communication with it's product. Would not be able to monitor status and would lose the possible updating of software of pickup. When you pay for at&t service you are purchasing unused by Ford portion of the bandwidth. I would expect in the near future a dual sim slot (or a second user accessable sim slot (in the dash cubby?🤔). Of course you can blue tooth to the mave currently!

paneubert

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If you replaced the sim card Ford would lose all communication with it's product. Would not be able to monitor status and would lose the possible updating of software of pickup. When you pay for at&t service you are purchasing unused by Ford portion of the bandwidth. I would expect in the near future a dual sim slot (or a second user accessable sim slot (in the dash cubby?🤔). Of course you can blue tooth to the mave currently!
I didn't say it was a good idea. Hahaha. Just a theoretical possibility. :)

Pirategrad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Clem
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It has to be a deal Ford has with ATT and I bet there is no actual physical sim in the truck. Many phones are now eSIM compatible and do not require a physical sim to operate on a network. All you do is contact your carrier and provide them you ESN number and you‘re on a new network. I’m sure they are using eSIMs in all Ford vehicles but are locked to ATT. The biggest drawback with the onboard mobile hotspot is it’s not future-proof. It’s locked to LTE and no way to ever upgrade to 5G service. The newest mobile phones have 5G and depending on your carrier and location, it’s quite a difference. Being a fomer user of the mobile hotspot on my Ranger, its a waste of money as the technology is now outdated and so slow. But this is just my opinion.

Sponsored

Mllombardi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL
Engine
Undecided
I’m just curious, what services are you using that are billable? I have an XL so maybe I just don’t have technology available that triggers a bill. I did find WiFi hotspot which had a free trial but I don’t need. Do the higher trims use a subscription?
I realize that the vehicle is internet connected and Ford uses att for that but as far as my phone, music, gps etc, all of that goes through my iPhone.

paneubert

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Mllombardi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL
Engine
Undecided
Thanks 👍 now I get it.

Wouldn’t it be possible to activate the hotspot on your phone and skirt Ford?

Pirategrad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Clem
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks 👍 now I get it.

Wouldn’t it be possible to activate the hotspot on your phone and skirt Ford?
Yes you could to share your hotspot so people in your vehicle could use it.. The vehicle will continue to use the ATT connection for Ford Pass, etc.

OP
OP

Area51BS

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My thoughts are there are places it might pick up better than the phone. I live in an area where the phone doesn’t work inside vehicle for data hungry uses. Guess I could mount phone in a pole and hold it out the window when needed.
Sponsored