Sponsored

(Cause Discovered - Mice/Squirrel Chewed Rear Axle Wire Harness) 4800 Miles and Multiple Fault Alerts Have Gone Nuts!

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux FX4 4K x 2
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
After nearly 5000mi of flawless service, my Lariat Lux Eco 2.0 has just gone el’crappo-de-cluck-cluck.

It had been parked for a couple of days when my wife went to go to town. I got the following alerts in my phone:

Ford Maverick (Cause Discovered - Mice/Squirrel Chewed Rear Axle Wire Harness) 4800 Miles and Multiple Fault Alerts Have Gone Nuts! FDED98BC-B665-4440-B26F-C3E4E42EF5CE

However, this morning when I started it again, I got at least seven different alerts on the dash. None of those went to my FordPass thou.

I will call my dealer this morning after the service department opens at 7:30.

What makes this worse is that Carvana is due to pickup our second vehicle tomorrow in preparation for the purchase of our second Maverick in a week or two.

I have been a real fan and supporter of this vehicle and can’t say how disappointed I am to see this happen. 🙁

UPDATE:

Mice or squirrels have chewed the wire harness in the rear axle.

Ford Maverick (Cause Discovered - Mice/Squirrel Chewed Rear Axle Wire Harness) 4800 Miles and Multiple Fault Alerts Have Gone Nuts! 376028C4-A973-4510-864F-F606185B335A

My good friend and local mechanic has discovered and fixed it for me this morning.

Better invest in a good preventative (spray on or electronic repellent device).
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

ShadowBlack XL440

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Non-Ford, not enought room to list..........
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
After nearly 5000mi of flawless service, my Lariat Lux Eco 2.0 has just gone el’crappo-de-cluck-cluck.

It had been parked for a couple of days when my wife went to go to town. I got the following alerts in my phone:

FDED98BC-B665-4440-B26F-C3E4E42EF5CE.png

However, this morning when I started it again, I got at least seven different alerts on the dash. None of those went to my FordPass thou.

What makes this worse is that Carvana is due to pickup our second vehicle tomorrow in preparation for the purchase of our second Maverick in a week or two.

I have been a real fan and supporter of this vehicle and can’t say how disappointed I am to see this happen. 🙁
I feel for you in this situation and hope it is nothing too serious. Anxiously watching to see what the resolution is.

Considering the various system alarms, seems like it maybe electrical related. Any varmints or rodents near by? Wire harness damage? Parked outside or garaged?

Last edited:

jeffrol48197

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Explorer, 2009 Focus, 2019 Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I posted this previously, might be related...
Some 2020-2022 Escape/Corsair, 2021-2022 Bronco Sport, 2022 Maverick vehicles may exhibit any of the following driver assistance warning messages displayed in the instrument panel cluster (IPC): Pre-collision Assist Not Available, Cruise Control Not Available, Collision Warning Malfunction and/or Adaptive Cruise Control Malfunction. Diagnostic trouble code (DTC) U0415:00 may also be stored in the power steering control module (PSCM), DTC C0051:67 stored in the anti-lock brake system (ABS) module and DTC U0418:86 stored in the image processing module A (IPMA). This may be due to the software in the power steering control module (PSCM). To correct this condition, using the latest version of Ford Diagnosis and Repair System (FDRS) scan tool. Update the PSCM to the latest software level.
SSM 50771

OP
OP
The Weatherman

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I feel for you in this situation and hope it is nothing too serious. Anxiously watching to see what the resolution is.

Considering the various system alarms, seems like it maybe electrical related. Any varmints or rodents near by? Wire harness damage? Parked outside or garaged?
In what I call the boat shed. I installed a deterrent device under the hood some time ago thou. It is wired directly to the battery.

I suspect the computer is going to have to be flashed (reset). The alerts are all over the place so not likely a real single component failure.

Can’t get in to service until Friday. ☹

Sponsored

OP
OP
The Weatherman

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I posted this previously, might be related...
Some 2020-2022 Escape/Corsair, 2021-2022 Bronco Sport, 2022 Maverick vehicles may exhibit any of the following driver assistance warning messages displayed in the instrument panel cluster (IPC): Pre-collision Assist Not Available, Cruise Control Not Available, Collision Warning Malfunction and/or Adaptive Cruise Control Malfunction. Diagnostic trouble code (DTC) U0415:00 may also be stored in the power steering control module (PSCM), DTC C0051:67 stored in the anti-lock brake system (ABS) module and DTC U0418:86 stored in the image processing module A (IPMA). This may be due to the software in the power steering control module (PSCM). To correct this condition, using the latest version of Ford Diagnosis and Repair System (FDRS) scan tool. Update the PSCM to the latest software level.
SSM 50771
Might be right on. I think I saw all those flash by.

Clarkdonbran

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Keep us updated. I hope it’s a simple fix!

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, Viper, 66 Shelby, 68.5 CJ Mustang, Pantera
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you have something directly wired to the truck's battery your issue could possibly be a battery low-voltage problem.

Did you try to start and drive the truck to allow the battery to be recharged?

good luck..

OP
OP
The Weatherman

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If you have something directly wired to the truck's battery your issue could possibly be a battery low-voltage problem.

Did you try to start and drive the truck to allow the battery to be recharged?

good luck..

I turned the unit off yesterday after my wife got back home. My thinking was the battery should have been fully charged after the 20 mile trip home.

I waited until this morning to start the truck again hoping things might be normal again. Unfortunately, that did happen.

I was thinking about disconnecting the battery entirely for awhile and seeing if reconnecting it might clear the faults.

Thoughts?

DrDoom

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HPR XLT and Cyber Orange XLT 2022 Ford Mavericks
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I turned the unit off yesterday after my wife got back home. My thinking was the battery should have been fully charged after the 20 mile trip home.

I waited until this morning to start the truck again hoping things might be normal again. Unfortunately, that did happen.

I was thinking about disconnecting the battery entirely for awhile and seeing if reconnecting it might clear the faults.

Thoughts?
Go for it. It cannot hurt since it is already bonkers. It sounds like the Body Control Module is bad or at least needing reset. I had a 2016 Ford Focus ST that would start doing things like that and I took it to Ford and they unhooked the battery and waited 5 minutes reconnected and it was fine for about a year. Then it did it again, so I did what they had done and it worked fine for about 4 plus years as I traded it in on my Maverick.

Last edited:
Sponsored

ZacharyAA

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 F350 CCD - 47/02 Dodge/Ford - 22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

FDED98BC-B665-4440-B26F-C3E4E42EF5CE.png

Going through Carvana and paying those prices...yikes 😬

OP
OP
The Weatherman

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ford Maverick (Cause Discovered - Mice/Squirrel Chewed Rear Axle Wire Harness) 4800 Miles and Multiple Fault Alerts Have Gone Nuts! 2C45A61C-E51D-4410-ADFF-30BE36687653

I believe we have found the problem!!

I put rodent protection all over the engine compartment, but they chewed thru three wires in the main harness at the back axle. 😡

Shoutout to home town mechanic for knowing exactly what to look for.

Redneck Garage

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.theredneckgarage.com
Vehicle(s)
10 Wrangler 22 Lexus 22 Maverick 23 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, Viper, 66 Shelby, 68.5 CJ Mustang, Pantera
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
For awareness, it's not only a Ford problem, it has been an industry problem since ~2000.

OP, what animals did that?

Glad you found it..

Good luck...

Rob Cactus Gray

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This is what we get for making the wires out of rodent food.
Sponsored