Sponsored

Carvana about to go under or Maverick aftermarket value about to settle down?

Tirpitz

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Hybrid+Lux in Velocity Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I just got quotes for my 2023 XL hybrid with under 100 miles on it.

Vroom was at $20,000 ($4k under sticker)

Carvana today offered me $24,000 (just under sticker)

This is in California. Obviously both of those are underwhelming offers. Might take it over to CarMax to see what they would offer. I note CarMax has XL hybrids listed for sale at $35,998.

Many of the other online sites won't quote it because they don't have 2023 model in their databases yet.
Sponsored

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer Limited; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If you watch these guys on YouTube, they have been predicting Carvana's failure for more than 6 months. Not sure if they are over-hyping...
https://www.youtube.com/@CarEdge/search?query=carvana
Great thing about youtube predictions: they will either eventually be right or not.

Carvana needs to hold on until next spring... when I'm in the market for a vehicle for my daughter and could take advantage of a fire sale. 😁

rlhdweman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
64 Caddy Fleetwood,73 Caddy Sedan,75 Eldorado Conv
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So out of curiosity (no interest in actually selling); I figured I'd feed my brand new hybrid Mav into Carvana to see how much they think it's worth... get an idea if they're still going for ridiculously over msrp...

And their automated site said they can't price it. "You've Stumped us". I'm guessing they've locked down the AI/automated offers on high(ish) value vehicles. Makes me think either the aftermarket value is about to tank or they're about to go out of business and are trying to cling to cash. Or it's just a trick to try to get me to register to their site (which I'm not doing to satisfy curiosity). Anyone else wanna feed their VIN in and see if they make an offer?
It's probably a little of both, some reality settling in slowly, remember the law of the world, ALL GOOD THINGS..................

OTACORB

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DAB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Oxford White Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I gave up predicting the used car market this week. I follow a channel by a father-son team, where the dad used to be a dealer. Last year the used market was insane. Then it started dropping and everybody predicted a crash. Last week's auction numbers once again zoomed for no apparent reason. It's madness.

Here's their channel. I find it great fun to watch them. And now and then I learn something...

https://www.youtube.com/@RayandZach
I like Ray and Zach, but they have really gotten into the doom and gloom here as of late. The sky seems to always be falling with them. If you look at the sales numbers and what they are saying they don't line up at all.

FischAutoTechGarten

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Green Valley Arizona USA, Alamos Sonora MEX
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mav Lariat EB AWD 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

on another thread.... a flipper with a bone stock XLT Hybrid ($26K) showed his Carvana offer of $33k, which he was declining.... preferring to offer the truck to fellow enthusiast at $36K, just a modest $10k over MSRP. Logic being Carvana would price the truck (remember it's a $26k truck) at $40k, so he was cutting the MTC membership a deal..

So apparently, in some markets, Carvana is still paying big money. And just maybe some folks are willing to pay the Carvana markup after that. Go figure.
Sponsored