Sponsored

Cargo management for bed (groceries, camping gear, etc)?

TCK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jetta Sportwagen
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Going to be a bit of a leap going from wagons and hatchbacks my entire life, but the bed versatility seems worth it. I know I am going to need a way to manage cargo (like groceries and camping gear) and I was wondering what other truck owners use? The Roll and Lock manager seems pretty slick but might interfere with Lux package side rails…would like a full gate rather than a ratchet bar- point me in the right direction gang.
Sponsored

OdinStormfist

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bryon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My plan is the hard tri-fold tonneau cover, then I plan to do as some others have done. Cut and prep some lumber (maybe even coating it with bed liner spray) to slot in to act as compartments. Also to prep a piece of lumber for the wheel well crossbeam should you want to haul plywood sheet which is a regular thing for me. I think I saw where this crossbeam can be bolted onto the top of the wheel well into a nut plate that is already installed in the wheel well.
These lumber crossbeams will keep things from rolling all the way forward and back. I will probably even have a collapsible crate or two in there as needed to further use as needed for shopping and things like straps, tarps, etc. This to store and keep them further constrained from rolling and should I need to quickly clear the bed I can grab the crates and throw them in the back seat. I have even considered attaching to some of these lumber dividers some equipment, things like maybe a fire extinguisher or say a Molle rack.
Who knows.
Whatever I do it will be meant to be flexible and easily convertible. We happen to be out and about…. The wife wants me to grab a couple bags of gravel, some 2x4’s and some sheets of plywood… I won’t have to run home and unload things out of the truck. I might have to take just a minute and move a crate or two to the cab and start loading things up. Just my idea of how I want it to work.

Haha48

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Here's an idea on how to build a drawer system you could make them any size

Last Truck Ever

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Don't have the MAV yet but my current truck I just use the piece of lumber there by the tailgate,, slid into the built-in slots, it keeps all my groceries and other things from sliding around the bed, a simple solution. I painted mine black to match the bedliner and added two cheapo 50 cent Home Depot door handles to the edges, just to make it easier on me to grab it and move it out of the way if needed.

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I use reusable totes for grocery shopping and most trips I fill three of them. It works well to put them all in the back left of the bed then loop the handles together and then wrap the closest bag to tie-down cleat in the back of the bed. Keeps them nice and snug/stable on the way home.

A portage pack is so nice to have with a pick-up truck. Holds a ton, decently water/weather resistant, and great for carrying/lifting/hoisting. I usually pack tent, bags, pads, and other stuff I want to keep dry in my portage pack. I also added the rail tie-downs that work well with dry bag bike panniers (can easily pop them between my bike and bed):
Ford Maverick Cargo management for bed (groceries, camping gear, etc)? PXL_20220705_223754966

I have big ass (95L) duffel that's super nice to fill with all the family stuff for day/weekend trips. A water resistant one would be even better, but I have so many dry bags that I can pack them in the duffel if needed.

Also, bunch of carabiners and bungees for securing packs/gear/stuff quick and easy. I wouldn't go too crazy with partitions or shelfs and such. You can see in the pic above I only use a single 2x3 for a divider, and even that gets removed when camping for easy slide-in/out of gear. The nice thing about a 30+ cubic feet box is that, depending on what you're bringing, you can "Tetris" everything into place for max packing efficiency. You're better off with big bags and rubbermaid totes.

stevhorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
When grocery shopping I usually buy 2 cases of water and position them in the bed so that I can put the bags of groceries between the water and the tailgate. A simple solution that works well.
Sponsored