First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JDM Fairlady Z TT (300zx), 350z, Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Does anyone know if CARB certification is in the works for any aftermarket intakes? I would at least expect K&N to be trying to get certification, but can't find any details. K&N is headquartered in Riverside and aFe Power is made in Corona (2.5 miles from Eibach), so it surprises me that neither of these are legal for sale in the state they're made.
Sponsored

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I havent heard of any carb intakes available yet but I will be the first inline to mount up a 4 barrel Demon!:ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Tuner_Obsession

Tuner_Obsession

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I emailed aFe Power to see if they were working on getting CARB certification on their intake and I got a response, but it's not looking like us California people will have a legal intake anytime soon. They didn't confirm if they were working on getting certification, but even if they are the process will take awhile.

Response from aFe Power:
"CARB certification can take months or even years to get approved. Unfortunately, there's no way for me to provide an estimated timeframe for this inquiry, I'm sorry about that."

OP
OP
Tuner_Obsession

Tuner_Obsession

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I also reached out to K&N about CARB certification and AEM to see if they were developing an intake at all, and below are the responses.

Response from K&N:
"The process to get a kit approved through the California Air Resource Board (CARB) is a long and costly process and while we try to get every kit we make CARB approved it is not always guaranteed. At this time we do not know when/if the 63-2618 intake kit will receive a CARB E.O. Exemption."

Response from AEM:
"Thank you for your email. I don't see any products in the works at the moment for the new Ford Maverick."

Last edited:

Dueces

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD Maverick XL, 2004 Insight Turbo
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
California is an absolute cluster. Your best bet is to leave. I understand, as I live in Illinois, hahaha.

They have pushed such ridiculous legislation that it makes it damn near impossible for people to meet their requirements, and it's not trending in our favor, and probably never will.

Sorry for the TED talk.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Tuner_Obsession

Tuner_Obsession

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
California is an absolute cluster. Your best bet is to leave. I understand, as I live in Illinois, hahaha.

They have pushed such ridiculous legislation that it makes it damn near impossible for people to meet their requirements, and it's not trending in our favor, and probably never will.

Sorry for the TED talk.
I know, it's much harder to be a car enthusiast here :cry:. But honestly with how excessive the EPA is getting with going after performance parts companies it wouldn't surprise me if the whole US ends up in a similar situation. At least there is a process in place here for aftermarket parts companies to get their products certified emissions compliant, it's just expensive and a pain for companies to go through that process.

2020 GT500

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, 2023 Miata RF Club
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
And then, as if to really be concerned about the health of us humans and the planet, what does the Federal govt. do? They give Diablo Canyon Nuclear nearly 2 billion bucks to remain open. Oh, but no…we idiots can’t install an intake cause it might kill us all. 🙄

olderbudwiser

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lincoln Corsair, 2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Stop complaining....the weather...is so nice. 😇

Phileaux

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Edge SEL fwd
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Get a PO Box in a neighboring state and register car there. UT friend did that in NV, it was worth it just for insurance savings.

Get inspected, install, enjoy, remove before inspection, repeat.

Buy a K&N panel filter b/c you don't need CAI with turbo.

OP
OP
Tuner_Obsession

Tuner_Obsession

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Get a PO Box in a neighboring state and register car there. UT friend did that in NV, it was worth it just for insurance savings.

Get inspected, install, enjoy, remove before inspection, repeat.

Buy a K&N panel filter b/c you don't need CAI with turbo.
That only works until a cop pulls you over and tells you to pop the hood. My 350z is registered in Florida (military) and earlier this year I got a loud exhaust ticket and had to go see the state referee even though it's not registered in California. They don't care where your car is registered, they'll ticket you for non-California compliant modifications, they just can't suspend your registration for it. I'm sure you've heard about the Elantra N owner who got an exhaust ticket in his bone stock car and his registration has been suspended because he hasn't "fixed" the issue because there is nothing to fix.

Yeah I'll just go panel filter for now. It's not a big deal, just have to be a little more patient.

Stop complaining....the weather...is so nice. 😇
71 degrees in late November, part of the reason why I live here.

Sponsored

Phileaux

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Edge SEL fwd
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Could you cut the bottom out of the air box so no one can see the hole? On my Edge I just took out all the intake restrictions bolted to it.

Phileaux

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Edge SEL fwd
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That only works until a cop pulls you over and tells you to pop the hood. My 350z is registered in Florida (military) and earlier this year I got a loud exhaust ticket and had to go see the state referee even though it's not registered in California. They don't care where your car is registered, they'll ticket you for non-California compliant modifications, they just can't suspend your registration for it. I'm sure you've heard about the Elantra N owner who got an exhaust ticket in his bone stock car and his registration has been suspended because he hasn't "fixed" the issue because there is nothing to fix.

Yeah I'll just go panel filter for now. It's not a big deal, just have to be a little more patient.

71 degrees in late November, part of the reason why I live here.

That quite a police state.

LM42

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT FX4 EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
And then, as if to really be concerned about the health of us humans and the planet, what does the Federal govt. do? They give Diablo Canyon Nuclear nearly 2 billion bucks to remain open. Oh, but no…we idiots can’t install an intake cause it might kill us all. 🙄
Nuclear power is the cleanest power option we have. They should be building modern plants all over the world if they want to help solve the energy crisis. There is way too much irrational fear about this.
Sponsored