Sponsored

Car hood insulation pad - any drawbacks?

Salwans

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Audi A4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Are there any drawbacks one should consider before adding an insulation pad under the hood cover?

By now we know that Maverick won't come with one. It seems having a hood insulation pad can help protect the paint from significant heat fluctuations, among possibly other benefits.

So I'm wondering... were these pads left out solely for cost-reduction purposes, or are there other reasons I shouldn't be putting one in. Thoughts?
Sponsored

Mav

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Maverick
I don’t think the heat is going to damage your paint. Most hood insulation is done to reduce noise. The only drawback I’ve seen is that sometimes the insulation droops and sags making contact with a hot engine.

22Mav

Banned
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT/Lariat.. Undecided still :O
These used to always be amongst the first things to go in my modding days (easy weight reduction :giggle:).

I don't see much of an issue with adding your own if you really wanted to. It would probably quiet engine noise a little. Not sure about the heat thing, I don't think it's a major enough of an issue or they'd have put one on the Maverick standard.

WasChops

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz Ltd + Maverick Lariat Hybr
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Are there any drawbacks one should consider before adding an insulation pad under the hood cover?

By now we know that Maverick won't come with one. It seems having a hood insulation pad can help protect the paint from significant heat fluctuations, among possibly other benefits.

So I'm wondering... were these pads left out solely for cost-reduction purposes, or are there other reasons I shouldn't be putting one in. Thoughts?
Wow, I am learning a lot on this forum! The padding is an interesting idea; and I would have to agree that it would not be required to protect the paint above on the top hood area... sound proofing seems the only legit purpose. However, Ford's are reputed to be very quiet vehicles; albeit I do not know how their Trucks perform in regard to the quiet factor!

starquestbd22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
I don’t really know of any drawbacks to having the under hood insulation. I would think the biggest pro would be external sound deadening. It may also help with hood temps but I don’t know how big of a problem this actually is. If Ford thought it needed one for this purpose, seems like they would have included one. That being said, some of the Bronco Sports come with one. Shouldn’t be too hard to adapt to the Mav I wouldn’t think.

Sponsored

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It may also help with hood temps but I don’t know how big of a problem this actually is.
Here in Arizona hood temps can easily reach over 160 degrees -- without ever starting the engine. Depends on the sun and the paint color.

Maybe I'll put the insulation on top of the hood... ;)

Down

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick/02 Z06 Vette
Not terribly important but they are a huge PITA to clean if they get dirty. There's a reason most people just suggest spray painting it black again instead of cleaning, lol.

jonathan1994

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Taurus Limited
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

What about the adhesive thin sound deadening material? Its meant for the interior but would it last and help under the hood?

FirstFord

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I thought that underhood insulation was there to provide the mice material for their nests they build under the intake plenum...

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, Viper, 66 Shelby, 68.5 CJ Mustang, Pantera
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I would consider an OEM-like black fiber insulation pad under the hood to reduce noise on my ordered Ecoboost truck. I would not put a reflective insulation pad under the hood as it would prevent heat transfer and reflect heat back down into the engine compartment..

Last edited:
Sponsored

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I would consider an OEM-like black fiber insulation pad under the hood to reduce noise on my ordered Ecoboost truck. I would not put a reflective insulation pad under the hood as it would prevent heat transfer and reflect heat back down into the engine compartment..
If a vehicle's margin for overheating is how much heat is transferred through the metal of the hood it does not have a very competently designed cooling system.

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, Viper, 66 Shelby, 68.5 CJ Mustang, Pantera
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Have you ..ever.. seen a reflective OEM pad?

Why would you want to reflect heat back down onto the engine?

A reflective pad would tend to trap heat compared to no pad or a black fiber pad and accelerate aging and breakdown of all non-metal parts under the hood..

olderbudwiser

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lincoln Corsair, 2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I may consider some 3/8-1/2 inch Styrofoam? Cut to fit where one wants it. Little dabs of heat resistant glue.

Yes / No??

Mymaverick2021

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steveo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
These used to always be amongst the first things to go in my modding days (easy weight reduction :giggle:).

I don't see much of an issue with adding your own if you really wanted to. It would probably quiet engine noise a little. Not sure about the heat thing, I don't think it's a major enough of an issue or they'd have put one on the Maverick standard.
I really don't think there's a need for that on the hybrid but maybe on the Ecoboost

Thodges

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Regal and Nissan Rogue
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My Buick Regal GS had a heat shield attached to the hood that was directly over the turbo.
Sponsored