First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 P71 Crown Vic
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a35034259/2022-ford-maverick-future/

2022 Ford Maverick Could Be a True Compact Truck
This unibody pickup, possibly arriving by the end of this year, should share components with the Bronco Sport crossover.

Ford Maverick Car and Driver thoughts on Ford Maverick pickup ring-1610128093.jpg?crop=0.798xw:0.736xh;0.139xw,0

• The Ford Maverick will be a new compact pickup truck arriving for the 2022 model year.
  • It will have a unibody construction and share components with the Bronco Sport crossover.
  • Look for the Maverick to debut in the second half of 2021.
ickup trucks have been getting bigger, heavier, better equipped, more capable, and more expensive for years, but Ford may soon disrupt the trend. The long-rumored compact Ford truck to slot in below the mid-size Ranger is getting closer to reality, and the signs are pointing to it arriving sometime in 2021 wearing a Maverick badge. Here we've illustrated what the 2022 Ford Maverick could look like based on various spy photos and leaked images.

Rather than a body-on-frame construction, this new model will share its unibody, transverse-engine architecture with crossover models such as the Bronco Sport and Escape. Recent Maverick prototypes have been spotted with four doors, suggesting that it will be a crew-cab pickup looking somewhat like a Bronco Sport with a bed, though with a different front-end design. In other words, the relationship between the two will be akin to the Honda Ridgeline pickup and closely related Pilot SUV.

Because the Bronco Sport is significantly smaller than the Pilot, it stands to reason that the Maverick will have a smaller footprint than the Ridgeline and other mid-size trucks, including the Ranger. It will also reportedly be cheaper than the Ranger, which starts just above $26,000, as Ford told dealerships early in 2019 that its new compact pickup would have a sub-$20,000 sticker price. We're now dubious of that. Unless the base-model Maverick is significantly decontented compared with its crossover sibling, we struggle to see how it could cost so much less than the least expensive Bronco Sport, which stickers for $28,155.

Powertrain offerings will depend on how committed Ford is to a low-cost variant of the Maverick. The cheapest version of the Escape, for instance, has front-wheel drive and a turbocharged 1.5-liter three-cylinder with 181 horsepower; the base Bronco Sport has this same engine paired with standard all-wheel drive. We think that the more powerful 245-hp turbocharged 2.0-liter and the Bronco Sport's more sophisticated all-wheel-drive system would be better suited for the Maverick, given expectations for hauling and capability. Both of these engines are likely, along with an eventual hybrid version. While some small-pickup purists may want a manual transmission in a vehicle like this, we doubt Ford is considering it.

The Maverick's interior will likely share components with the Escape and Bronco Sport's cabins. Ford's Sync 4 infotainment system should be on hand, along with the Bronco Sport's clever underseat storage cubbies. We're not sure what size the Maverick's bed will be, but for reference, the Ridgeline offers a 5'4'' bed and the Ranger offers a 6' bed with the extended cab and a 5' bed with the crew-cab configuration.

While Ford has yet to confirm the Maverick's existence, we think it's getting close to production and will likely be revealed in the second half of this year. It could go on sale in the U.S. as soon as late 2021 as a 2022 model, although we think arrival in dealerships early next year is more likely.
Sponsored

FutureOwnerInTN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV/Car
Engine
Undecided
This is what I posted in the other forum...

I kinda dig it for what it is. If it’s close to this I’ll be ok with it. People are wanting it to look like a miniature F250 Super Duty, or something. That’s not what Ford is going after.

OP
OP

used2jeep

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 P71 Crown Vic
Yeah, I've got no idea about size. I want to think Ranchero but that was big front to back and wide. But think more Subaru Brat idea? Just don't know personally. Could I swap my Bronco for this? I wish I had an idea.

Reactions: Doc

FutureOwnerInTN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV/Car
Engine
Undecided
I’m thinking a smaller Honda Ridgeline type. C Pilar forward is a Bronco Sport. Please do not get rid of a classic Bronco, or the bigger Bronco for this or anything. I’d say it’s a lateral trade if they have a 4x4 version of this for a Bronco Sport. Just my opinion.

J_Garn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Edge
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm new here and found this forum from a Yahoo article, and I'm so glad I did. If the speculation is true the Maverick is just about exactly what I've been pining for. I live right on the border between heavy suburbia and the mountains and spend my time pretty equally in both, so I've been dying for someone to make a good, honest, small truck that isn't like a monster truck in traffic , but can still handle all my camping and kayaking gear. Not to mention all the furniture and supplies I've been hauling around since buying my first home. I had my hopes so high for the return of the Ranger and even the Ridgeline, but was let down by the size the window sticker for both. I nearly almost picked up an older Ranger assuming no manufacturers would ever make a decent small pickup ever again.

I appreciate all the news and images everyones been sharing and will keep an eye on it!
Sponsored