First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This is not the specific video where he showed the "Sprague" one way clutch on 2.5 ice but he mentions the necessity of having one when mg1 can be used to help drive... I will look further for the video but (if I copied link correctly) view this from 9:30-11:00
Try this one, I hope...
Sponsored

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Try this one, I hope...
The video is pretty clear. The sprag clutch is only used on the Toyota plug-in hybrid models because they use MG1 as a drive motor with the ICE off. It is not relevant to the Maverick hybrid.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The video is pretty clear. The sprag clutch is only used on the Toyota plug-in hybrid models because they use MG1 as a drive motor with the ICE off. It is not relevant to the Maverick hybrid.
Yes that is clear. I view that as indication that it would be necessary if Ford chose to use mg1 in that manner it would be required. I saw where on the Aisin made models that Ford had used there was clutch to hold the planet gears stationary to allow the sun gear to turn with mg1 without affecting the ice. The clutches there disappeared on Ford's in house version (possibly necessitated to be relocated due to patents). I have not found video that specifically states "this is the model used in maverick". The problem I see is how when the gearset is at rest and mg1 is not turning and selector is not in park and the clutches are not there to hold the planet gears where is clutch to prevent turning engine backwards when pushed in reverse. There is a video showing a damper splined to the drive train between ice and trans housing. I don't think this will accomplish what I believe is necessary and was happy when I saw pic of 2.5 with spray. Will probably not resolve this until John at Weber tears down actual maverick setup. I appreciate your looking at this for me. Perhaps I will find 2.5 with spraq and maybe determine if it is in fact the setup used by ford.

Randy H.

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick & Civic
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ford Maverick Can you put in REVERSE while DRIVING? bad-santa-meme-willie

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yes that is clear. I view that as indication that it would be necessary if Ford chose to use mg1 in that manner it would be required. I saw where on the Aisin made models that Ford had used there was clutch to hold the planet gears stationary to allow the sun gear to turn with mg1 without affecting the ice. The clutches there disappeared on Ford's in house version (possibly necessitated to be relocated due to patents). I have not found video that specifically states "this is the model used in maverick". The problem I see is how when the gearset is at rest and mg1 is not turning and selector is not in park and the clutches are not there to hold the planet gears where is clutch to prevent turning engine backwards when pushed in reverse. There is a video showing a damper splined to the drive train between ice and trans housing. I don't think this will accomplish what I believe is necessary and was happy when I saw pic of 2.5 with spray. Will probably not resolve this until John at Weber tears down actual maverick setup. I appreciate your looking at this for me. Perhaps I will find 2.5 with spraq and maybe determine if it is in fact the setup used by ford.
MG1 just has to spin faster than the ring gear is spinning in order to turn the planet carrier (crankshaft), whether that is while the ring gear is spinning drive-ways, while parked, or spinning the opposite direction in reverse, and it’s just not going to spin faster in reverse to try to move the crankshaft backwards, right? That’s just computer controlled. In all circumstances with ICE off, the spin of the sun gear is just dependently-spinning, following the rotation of the stationary-but-revolving (not orbiting) planets on the planet carrier, which are being revolved by the ring gear turning one way or the other. The ICE (planet carrier) can just sit tight since the force within the planetary gearset follows the path of least resistance, and the crankshaft resists rotation while at rest while the sun gear can spin freely?

Sponsored

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
MG1 just has to spin faster than the ring gear is spinning in order to turn the planet carrier (crankshaft), whether that is while the ring gear is spinning drive-ways, while parked, or spinning the opposite direction in reverse, and it’s just not going to spin faster in reverse to try to move the crankshaft backwards, right? That’s just computer controlled. In all circumstances with ICE off, the spin of the sun gear is just dependently-spinning, following the rotation of the stationary-but-revolving (not orbiting) planets on the planet carrier, which are being revolved by the ring gear turning one way or the other. The ICE (planet carrier) can just sit tight since the force within the planetary gearset follows the path of least resistance, and the crankshaft resists rotation while at rest while the sun gear can spin freely?
Ok, Thanks, I believe I can visualize what happens now. I was seeing the movement of the wheels when pushed backwards without anything active would rotate the planet carrier and force could be applied to the ice in a counter rotation.

Mymaverick2021

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steveo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My tundra would allow you to put the shifter into “R” while driving so that you could activate the back up camera to keep an eye on the trailer. Anyone know if this works for the maverick?

EDIT: For whatever reason I decided to test it today. It does work and has a message that says it will shift when it gets to a lower speed
I don't know about the new Maverick but my Colorado display screen has a button that when you are driving you can activate the rear camera without having to put it in reverse. One would hope that Ford has something like that on their touch screen
Sponsored