Sponsored

Can you put 17" Tires & Wheels on a Hybrid ?

SgtLip

Banned
Banned
First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lexus ES300h Ultra Luxury
  • Banned
I'm thinking about swapping my Tires & Wheels (T&W) on my Lariat Hybrid. It comes stock with 18" T&W's.

My question is can I put 17" T&W's on the Hybrid? I don't see anywhere on the Ford Build sheets where 17" T&W's are an option.
Will I hurt the truck by downsizing the T&W's?
Will there be any negative effects by putting the smaller T&W's on the truck?
If it was yours, would you do it? If not, why not?

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.
Sponsored

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Generally speaking the minimum size of the wheel a vehicle can fit is determined by its brakes. 17" are standard size on the Maverick, and the Lariat doesn't increase the size of the brakes. Not a problem, and you are likely to experience improved ride quality, better resistance to damage from potholes, and all else equal improvement to acceleration and braking when going with smaller wheels.

Just pay attention to the weight of your 17" replacements, lighter is better. Tirerack will even let you sort wheels by weight, although I don't think they have the Maverick up yet on the site just the Bronco Sport.

On a non-sports car, from a performance standpoint you want to go as small a wheel as will fit, but sometimes aesthetics dictate that a bigger wheel might fit proportions better depending on the style you like which is purely personal preference. So I could have gone with smaller than 20" wheels on my Ram for example, but I liked the look so kept my factory size.

Brian_J

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 R6, HPR Maverick AWD 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm thinking about swapping my Tires & Wheels (T&W) on my Lariat Hybrid. It comes stock with 18" T&W's.

My question is can I put 17" T&W's on the Hybrid? I don't see anywhere on the Ford Build sheets where 17" T&W's are an option.
Will I hurt the truck by downsizing the T&W's?
Will there be any negative effects by putting the smaller T&W's on the truck?
If it was yours, would you do it? If not, why not?

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.
What is a “t&w”?

doesn’t the base hybrid come with 17” rims?

OP
OP
SgtLip

SgtLip

Banned
Banned
First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
What is a “t&w”?

doesn’t the base hybrid come with 17” rims?
Sorry, I put it in the first line of my post so I wouldn't have to spell it out every time. Tires & Wheels (T&W)

No, the Lariat Hybrid comes standard with 18" Tires and Wheels. There is an Option to upgrade to a 18" Painted Wheel.

OP
OP
SgtLip

SgtLip

Banned
Banned
First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
Generally speaking the minimum size of the wheel a vehicle can fit is determined by its brakes. 17" are standard size on the Maverick, and the Lariat doesn't increase the size of the brakes. Not a problem, and you are likely to experience improved ride quality, better resistance to damage from potholes, and all else equal improvement to acceleration and braking when going with smaller wheels.

Just pay attention to the weight of your 17" replacements, lighter is better. Tirerack will even let you sort wheels by weight, although I don't think they have the Maverick up yet on the site just the Bronco Sport.

On a non-sports car, from a performance standpoint you want to go as small a wheel as will fit, but sometimes aesthetics dictate that a bigger wheel might fit proportions better depending on the style you like which is purely personal preference. So I could have gone with smaller than 20" wheels on my Ram for example, but I liked the look so kept my factory size.
But the Lariat Hybrid comes standard with 18's.
Will the Speedometer be the same or is the travel different?
A guy local to me is getting an XLT with the 17" FX4 Package. He is going to swap and asked if I wanted to use them. So they will be Maverick 17's.

Sponsored

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
But the Lariat Hybrid comes standard with 18's.
Will the Speedometer be the same or is the travel different?
When you go with smaller wheels you get tires with taller sidewalls, so the total circumference changes very little if at all. You use online tire size calculators or just ask the people at tirerack or discount tire for the right size tire to fit, and then speedo will not change.

This is a popular online site for that since the actual height of the sidewall isn't just the sidewall number (which is a percentage) but is also based on the width of the tire: https://tiresize.com/calculator/

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No, the Lariat Hybrid comes standard with 18" Tires and Wheels. There is an Option to upgrade to a 18" Painted Wheel.
Yes, but there's no increase in brake size so since 17" wheels fit on the XL/XLT then it'll fit on the Lariat as well.

225/65R17 tires and 17" wheels is about the same circumference as the 225/60R18s on the Lariat so the speedometer will still be accurate.

OP
OP
SgtLip

SgtLip

Banned
Banned
First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
When you go with smaller wheels you get tires with taller sidewalls, so the total circumference changes very little if at all. You use online tire size calculators or just ask the people at tirerack or discount tire for the right size tire to fit, and then speedo will not change.

This is a popular online site for that since the actual height of the sidewall isn't just the sidewall number (which is a percentage) but is also based on the width of the tire: https://tiresize.com/calculator/
Apologize. I was editing while you were responding. They will be Maverick XLT 17's from the FX4 package. So I'm assuming everything is matched set already for a Maverick.

FirstFord

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Apologize. I was editing while you were responding. They will be Maverick XLT 17's from the FX4 package. So I'm assuming everything is matched set already for a Maverick.
You're assumption is correct. Those wheels and tires will be fine. Some of us think they'll be even better ;)

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yes, but there's no increase in brake size so since 17" wheels fit on the XL/XLT then it'll fit on the Lariat as well.

225/65R17 tires and 17" wheels is about the same circumference as the 225/60R18s on the Lariat so the speedometer will still be accurate.
Yup, that site linked earlier visualizes it as well if anyone is curious to see, and it shows how they are virtually identical in circumference, one just has more sidewall to compensate for smaller wheel:
Ford Maverick Can you put 17" Tires & Wheels on a Hybrid ? Capture.JPG

Sponsored

Brian_J

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Sorry, I put it in the first line of my post so I wouldn't have to spell it out every time. Tires & Wheels (T&W)

Just get 17’s w tires the same size as the ones that come on maverick. I believe tire rack even has a “-1” option when you look at tire and wheel packages.

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Tire Rack now has Maverick wheels up on their site

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Tire Rack now has Maverick wheels up on their site
Vehicle Photography Not Available
We're sorry. A high quality photo of your vehicle is not available in our library of images.
Well, half up, lol!

Wanted to see what those MR143 CS6s would look like in 16" on a XL. Only 18lbs each.

OP
OP
SgtLip

SgtLip

Banned
Banned
First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just get 17’s w tires the same size as the ones that come on maverick. I believe tire rack even has a “-1” option when you look at tire and wheel packages.
With the tires & wheels I'l thinking about coming off of a Maverick XLT FX4 package I'm hoping it's all good size wise.

I was going to just upgrade my 18" wheels and use the stock tires. Then my friend offered me his FX4 17" tires & wheels since he's getting all new so I told him I was interested; BEFORE I knew if they'd work. But I figured since both trucks were Mavericks, I figured it would be okay.

From the input everyone has provided, they will work and may be better than the 18".

Brian_J

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
With the tires & wheels I'l thinking about coming off of a Maverick XLT FX4 package I'm hoping it's all good size wise.

I was going to just upgrade my 18" wheels and use the stock tires. Then my friend offered me his FX4 17" tires & wheels since he's getting all new so I told him I was interested; BEFORE I knew if they'd work. But I figured since both trucks were Mavericks, I figured it would be okay.

From the input everyone has provided, they will work and may be better than the 18".
The fx4 rims and tires will bolt right on to your lariat wo issues like the speedo being off or rubbing. The TPMS sensors might need sync’d, as I’ve seen posted there’s multiple frequencies for them.

someone more knowledgeable than me will have to answer how to do that, unless you want to pay the dealer.

(maybe a tire shop could do it? Maybe you can buy the sync tool online?)
Sponsored