First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mazda 3
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I ordered a hybrid mav a couple days before the cutoff in November, thinking I'd have plenty of cushion with my current Mazda 3 lease ending November 19. Obviously it's getting closer to that not happening. So, has anyone ever just added a few months to a lease?
Sponsored

CoryDallas8123

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A4, Chevy Chevelle SS, 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ask your dealer.

Meintc

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lynette
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I did. Extended it 2 x. It was a ford escape. What Cory said. Though, probably wouldn't mention you're waiting for a Maverick.

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boxster, Yamaha FJ1300, Maverick XL

TammyLeazier

First Name
Tammy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford edge
I ordered a hybrid mav a couple days before the cutoff in November, thinking I'd have plenty of cushion with my current Mazda 3 lease ending November 19. Obviously it's getting closer to that not happening. So, has anyone ever just added a few months to a lease?
Yes we have 2 times already

Sponsored

SiGmA_X

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Depending on your Mazda's value, you might consider buying the vehicle from Mazda Finance or whomever, so you can sell it when the Maverick comes in. That's what I did with my Hyundai Ioniq. If the Maverick came in today, I'd be getting somewhere between $5,341 (Carmax, quoted last Monday) and $7,477 (Carvana) more than the lease buyout value cost me. We'll see how that holds in 6wks when the Maverick finally delivers.

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Excellent point.

The beauty of leasing, it's your option to buy the vehicle for the residual value (plus taxes and a fee.)

Depending on your Mazda's value, you might consider buying the vehicle from Mazda Finance or whomever, so you can sell it when the Maverick comes in. That's what I did with my Hyundai Ioniq. If the Maverick came in today, I'd be getting somewhere between $5,341 (Carmax, quoted last Monday) and $7,477 (Carvana) more than the lease buyout value cost me. We'll see how that holds in 6wks when the Maverick finally delivers.

Meintc

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lynette
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That is what I did. Bought my lease then I'll resell it when my truck comes in or use it as a trade in, whenever that will be.

FriscoTXJoe

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Wow. As someone who has never leased (and prollly won't), it's great to see the way you can choose your options to do what you want.

Isn't the residual value of a lease set when you sign the docs? That means this car will probably be undervalued on the lease in light of the cost of used cars. Someone could do really well! Love it!

Meintc

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lynette
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Wow. As someone who has never leased (and prollly won't), it's great to see the way you can choose your options to do what you want.

Isn't the residual value of a lease set when you sign the docs? That means this car will probably be undervalued on the lease in light of the cost of used cars. Someone could do really well! Love it!
That's why I bought it. I was in a real good position because of the value. Now if I can just get my truck before the bottom drops, or economy takes more of a dive.

Sponsored

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Leasing can be a beautiful thing.

If they calculate the residual too high, your payment is lower than the actual cost of depreciation, it's like a gift. Walk away at the end of the lease.

If they calculate the residual too low, you can choose to buy it for below market. This means you likely got the amount of their mistake as a gift.

My last new car (before the Maverick) was a loaded Alfa Romeo Guilia, sticker was like $58k. Payment was low $400s, I forget exactly. Fun car.

OP
OP

JerseyMike

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mazda 3
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yeah so check this out. I just checked the residual value on my invoice. It's less than 13k. The trade in is 22. CarMax offers 23k. So I may just buy it out and be in a good position when this thing finally gets built. Sorry not sorry Ford dealer.

SiGmA_X

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm generally not a fan of leasing, and I was planning to finance my last/current car - I did/do have the cash set aside to buy it, but with low rates, what's the point. Hyundai offered significant incentives to lease vs buy/finance which made it the right call up front, and then with how crazy the used market is, it's working out pretty well. I'm going to actually get more for selling my almost-3yo car that I paid for it in total (all lease payments, fees, and buyout payment). Nuts.
Yeah so check this out. I just checked the residual value on my invoice. It's less than 13k. The trade in is 22. CarMax offers 23k. So I may just buy it out and be in a good position when this thing finally gets built. Sorry not sorry Ford dealer.
Dang, that's great. Buy it out and sell it to CarMax or one of the other iBuyers. Also just for fun, here are the quotes I recently got for my Ioniq - Carmax was an in person appraisal.
Ford Maverick Can you extend a lease? 1656291217883

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If they calculate the residual too low, you can choose to buy it for below market. This means you likely got the amount of their mistake as a gift.
Typically if the residual is too low it means you overpaid over the course of the lease unless you buy it out and trade instead of just turning in. Although usually manufacturers offered leasing incentives that offset this. That's in part why leasing many vehicles right now is really an unattractive deal. Residuals are low and money factors are high so the lessors maximize the short term return while there's little in the way of rebates. Also things like market adjustments or mandatory add-ons aren't residualized so anything over MSRP you're paying back in full over the lease term.

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If the Ford dealer is offering 22k trade-in that's a better deal than CarMax since NJ gives you the sales tax credit of $1540.
Sponsored