Sponsored

Can the Ford Maverick Truck become an Icon?

Okie from Muskogee

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg Edition
It is intriguing to think that the group of people populating this forum and others like it can become like followers of Mustangs or F-150s. Besides the anguish of asking when hybrids will be released and other topics, can we be the beginning of a fan base people watch like the mighty Mustang? If it is, it would be a cool club to join. šŸ¤ž
Sponsored

bgillen35

First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Prius, '19 Indian FTR-S, '20 Mustang EcoBoost
As great as we all think this truck will sell, I do not think it will be an "icon" solely for the reason that it really isn't as groundbreaking as its billed out to be. Yes its a standard hybrid, yes its a small size truck (and honestly, this truck isn't even that small compared to what used to be considered a compact truck), but to that respect this is what everyone has also been demanding since the car market lost this small truck segment. I think for the Maverick to be put into the same iconic class as the Mustang or F series, it needs to be a brand new vehicle that is truly ground breaking, not a reworked concept adapted to sell in today's market.

That being said, it seems like this will be a great vehicle and hopefully a pillar in Ford's lineup for years to come.

FirstFord

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Buy one (if you can). Put it into storage. 20 years from now sell it at a Barrett-Jackson auction for 3 times what you paid.
You'll do better in a decent index fund...without the storage and insurance costs ;)

14mustangNJ

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT FX4, 2014 Ford Mustang
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I doubt it at least for now. Same with the new full-size bronco as well.

The mustang and F150 have years of heritage and millions of them have been bought and sold. Anyone can buy one and enjoy them, on top of them being generally good looking, affordable and reliable vehicles. They have been tailored for years to be a part of the US car culture to the point that even a non-car person can easily recognize either on the road anytime...well maybe not the 74-79 generation of mustangs but a lot of us try to forget that generation lol.

The issue today is going to be time, availability and production. I donā€™t see Ford producing high volumes of Mavericks for awhile and only see it becoming a niche vehicle at the rate production is going. Youā€™ll see them around but at the rate they are going, it isnā€™t going to pull as many full size owners out of their trucks as you think, nor convert long time Japanese car/truck enthusiasts over either. Ford would really have to ramp up production, marketing and get people out of full-sizes for support for the Maverick to become an icon......and Iā€™m not so sure they will. Iā€™d be happy to see it becoming an icon but with ordering and limited availability I am seeing for the foreseeable future, Iā€™m not sure that will happen.

Sponsored

Guardian

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Smartcar,Alfa Romeo Spyder,Pontiac GTO,Taurus SHO
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I doubt it at least for now. Same with the new full-size bronco as well.

The mustang and F150 have years of heritage and millions of them have been bought and sold. Anyone can buy one and enjoy them, on top of them being generally good looking, affordable and reliable vehicles. They have been tailored for years to be a part of the US car culture to the point that even a non-car person can easily recognize either on the road anytime...well maybe not the 74-79 generation of mustangs but a lot of us try to forget that generation lol.

The issue today is going to be time, availability and production. I donā€™t see Ford producing high volumes of Mavericks for awhile and only see it becoming a niche vehicle at the rate production is going. Youā€™ll see them around but at the rate they are going, it isnā€™t going to pull as many full size owners out of their trucks as you think, nor convert long time Japanese car/truck enthusiasts over either. Ford would really have to ramp up production, marketing and get people out of full-sizes for support for the Maverick to become an icon......and Iā€™m not so sure they will. Iā€™d be happy to see it becoming an icon but with ordering and limited availability I am seeing for the foreseeable future, Iā€™m not sure that will happen.
Yikes!! My first brand new car was a 1978 flesh-colored Mustang II!!! Icon is not the word I would associate with that experience. Agree LOL!!!

WesM

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If they had managed to make an all electric version of the Maverick with 270-300 mile range and the XL starting at $30k, then it probably would have been an iconic vehicle.

As it is I think the Maverick just fills a hole in the market thats been there for a while. Other manufacturers will hop on the bandwagon in a year or two and if well designed will eat into the Maverick sales. If Honda or Toyota had a decent small truck with a hybrid powertrain, how many of us would still be here?

jeffdeq

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fusion Platinum Energi, 2020 F150 King Ranch
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am old enough to remember clearly the introduction of the 1964 1/2 Mustang. Initially it was basically a Falcon with different sheet metal styling. Lee Iococa put together a phenomenal marketing campaign and produced a sports car that began the new class of ā€œponyā€ sports cars. The base price was $2320.00. Therefore, this was the first affordable sports car made available to the driving public.
With this in mind, I believe this Maverick has the POTENTIAL to become the second coming of the ā€œMustangā€. It wonā€™t be a sports vehicle, but rather an affordable city-based, compact truck introducing more drivers to high fuel efficiency with a power train most have not driven before. The Maverick has already shown an exciting appeal more so than any of its competitors have been able to muster. These production delays are only hyping the overall marketing of this vehicle. Only time will tell but when the other manufacturers begin production of a comparable urban compact utility truck that could become known as the ā€œmaverickā€œ class vehicle.

Sponsored

JKinPA

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mountaineer
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

If they had managed to make an all electric version of the Maverick with 270-300 mile range and the XL starting at $30k, then it probably would have been an iconic vehicle.

As it is I think the Maverick just fills a hole in the market thats been there for a while. Other manufacturers will hop on the bandwagon in a year or two and if well designed will eat into the Maverick sales. If Honda or Toyota had a decent small truck with a hybrid powertrain, how many of us would still be here?
I would still buy the Maverick

AdventureSetterland

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Completely off-topic, but I love the setter in your avatar. (Fellow gun-dog fan -- I have flat-coated retrievers.)
Nice, thatā€™s an interesting breed that you donā€™t hear about every day! Thanks. Iā€™ve had setters most of my life and this guy is likely the prettiest one. Heā€™s just under a year old now and is proving to be a bit of a unique character šŸ¤£

Ford Maverick Can the Ford Maverick Truck become an Icon? 904A52D5-2801-48C8-9EE8-01AA18C4B4F6
Sponsored