Banned
Banned
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat AWD FX4 4K Towing 245/65R17 Falken WP A/T3W
If memory serves, the fires were/are caused buy a faulty brake fluid pressure sensor/switch that sends a brake applied signal the the ECU which turns off the cruise function.
Fires are caused when the switch sticks in the "on" position after car is parked which causes the wire harness to overheat and melt down which causes some other easy to ignite objects to flame on.
Back in the good old days the brake applied signal (to the cruise controller) was a simple spring loaded switch mounted near the brake lite switch on the brake pedal arm or nearby bracket.
Some even used a fancy two terminal brake lite switch which did both, turn on the brake lights and shut off the cruise.
While this electronic switch/sensor system may not have been the best design, I would bet money that a spring loaded switch would have more failures over time from an engineering perspective so I can see why they would have changed it. Electronics can add complexity but there are compelling reasons to use them in systems such as this where we are talking about braking and acceleration cycles over long periods of time and the average MTBF of the parts.
Sponsored

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I believe Ford actually used both methods simultaneously as redundancy. The other failure mode I've seen with the master cylinder switches is the diaphragm failing and brake fluid then escaping out the switch electrical connector itself.

Champ

Banned
Banned
First Name
ML
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Miatas, Z06, Outback
You're missing the point that liability does lie with the end user of a consumer product. In fact, the law protects end users, generally. You should read up on tort law. It would clear a lot of things up for you.

Anyway....moving on now...
You first said no big deal adding an aftermarket cruise control. Now you advise [see above] that if I buy a product, and it's defective, it's my fault and I'm liable? To whom? You forgot to add the "I'm not a lawyer. but I know where there is a Holiday Inn Express!" Then you say the "law" protects me? My point remains salient, if you buy an item on Ebay, and your buddy Billy Bob installs it and it then also burns your house down, you will "expertly" testify to what? Think Billy Bob has $50 million to pay out? Guess you do, but as for me and advising my friends, I'd rather a large manufacturer with deep pockets supply an installed item that has major potential for causing damage, like a stuck wide open throttle or a fire breaking out in a home's garage. Good luck with your advice column! -- PS: I won't buy budget brake pads either!

Last edited:

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/ Toyota Highlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I posted yesterday about seeing the XL in person. It is superior to the XLT colors to me. The faceted panels are nicer with a metallic look.

I dont have any issue with the XLT colors, but after seeing the XL in person I immediately preferred it by far.

I think the pics on Fords website make the XL interior appear darker than it really is.

I never really paid attention to XL until I saw the interior in person.
Ford's online interior pictures are just so far off. In person XLT is alot less busy and not as bright and the Lariat Brown/Blue seats work better although all the bronze bits and rubber console liners are a bit too much.

Platinum2

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You first said no big deal adding an aftermarket cruise control. Now you advise [see above] that if I buy a product, and it's defective, it's my fault and I'm liable? To whom? You forgot to add the "I'm not a lawyer. but I know where there is a Holiday Inn Express!" Then you say the "law" protects me? My point remains salient, if you buy an item on Ebay, and your buddy Billy Bob installs it and it then also burns your house down, you will "expertly" testify to what? Think Billy Bob has $50 million to pay out? Guess you do, but as for me and advising my friends, I'd rather a large manufacture with deep pockets supply an installed item that has major potential for causing damage, like a stuck wide open throttle or a fire breaking out in a home's garage. Good luck with your advice column! -- PS: I won't buy budget brake pads either!
I meant to say "does not." Sorry, post edited. Next, liability lies with the product manufacturer, not Billy Bob... assuming he did HIS job right and the failure was due to the failure on the part of the manufacturer. That's how tort law works.

It's generally not a good idea to have a Billy Bob touch your stuff.

As for the burned down house, HO insurance covers that with no questions asked. But hey, this is the internet so you can say anything you like and believe what you will.

There is no advice being given here. Simply a response to the nine billionth mostly factually wrong internet post.

Sponsored

Champ

Banned
Banned
First Name
ML
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Miatas, Z06, Outback
I meant to say "does not." Sorry, post edited. Next, liability lies with the product manufacturer, not Billy Bob... assuming he did HIS job right and the failure was due to the failure on the part of the manufacturer. That's how tort law works.

It's generally not a good idea to have a Billy Bob touch your stuff.

As for the burned down house, HO insurance covers that with no questions asked. But hey, this is the internet so you can say anything you like and believe what you will.

There is no advice being given here. Simply a response to the nine billionth mostly factually wrong internet post.
Must be nice having a no fault, zero deductible home owner's insurance policy that also covers funeral expenses! [METH LAB owners will appreciate the "no questions asked"] Self installers also can be "Billy Bobs" as most installers will never admit they made a mistake! {like a major typographical error] Ford screwed up making my Focus RS, and they simply returned my $40 K +. Try that with an aftermarket company's product after installation by a Billy Bob assuming you survive! I'm sure many internet users will say "no problem"! Good talk, I learned a lot!

BGP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Nissan Frontier
From pictures, I prefer the XL interior, but ordered the XLT because of factory cruise, but more so because I really wanted Alto Blue exterior, which isn't available on the XL. I'll most likely be removing the orange pieces in the center console immediately. I figure if I really don't like the rest of the interior, I can always order the XL plastic trim pieces direct from Ford and put covers on the seats. Ultimately, I can have both the interior and exterior that I want.

OP
OP
Springboks

Springboks

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Deon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Saw a Lariat edition for the first time today.
Same grey Formica dash as the XLT :(

They had a 2-door Brono there with Sasquatch wheels. If it weren’t for the fact that it only gets 20MPH, I would switch.

BDennis

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion, E450 Leprechaun
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
All black is boring and makes the interior feel smaller. I always go with two tones. Do I wish that had gone with a more attractive two tone that didn’t include blue, yes. Do I like being pushed out of my comfort zone, yes.

sdr.speng

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
All black is boring and makes the interior feel smaller. I always go with two tones. Do I wish that had gone with a more attractive two tone that didn’t include blue, yes. Do I like being pushed out of my comfort zone, yes.
Totally Agree - WHO WANTS ALL BLACK - You can get that WITH ANY OTHER TRUCK OR CAR. The XLT interior is WAY BETTER than both the XL and Lariat - IMO.

Sponsored

BGP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Nissan Frontier
True. I'm hoping that when I see the XLT interior in person, I'm pleasantly surprised.

Jimmy P

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Chevy Silverado
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've seen an XLT in person, but not the XL or Lariat yet. XLT interior looks great, much better than I expected. The orange bits didn't offend. I wish it was the Lariat interior, but I ordered the Lariat for the extra toys. Guess I'll have to buy a matching pair of shoes.

KenJ45

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT 2.0L Ecoboost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The color schemes for the XLT and Lariat are indeed odd. I am surprised that blue is the primary color on all 3 trims, and that Ford didn't just do a black interior to save money.
I live in South Florida. I will NEVER buy a car with a black interior... Come visit South Florida around June and July and I guarantee you, you won't ask why that is...

I've seen an XLT in person, but not the XL or Lariat yet. XLT interior looks great, much better than I expected. The orange bits didn't offend. I wish it was the Lariat interior, but I ordered the Lariat for the extra toys. Guess I'll have to buy a matching pair of shoes.
I agree. Even though I'm an old-timer myself (relatively), I find the color accents in the XLT to be kind of "lively" and "youthful" and I really don't mind it at all.

crgator

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've not seen the interior of an XL. But, I have a Lariet and I own an XLT. I really prefer the XLT to the Lariet, and the orange doesn't bother me in the least. Maybe I'm partial to the orange, being a Gator, though.

Last Truck Ever

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I test drove an XL recently, the thing I disliked the most was the black interior. It just looks cheap to me, with the blue and gray of the XLT looking more refined. Whatever floats each person's boat, though.
Sponsored