Sponsored

Can I tow a 3,000 lbs camper with 2.0 ecobost engine + 4k lb tow package.?

CLH917

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You should have NO problem towing a 3K camper as long as you have the 4K towing package. You will be 1000 pounds UNDER the MAX trailer weight.đź‘Ť
It’s this kind of thinking that gets people in trouble. The dry weight of his camper might be 1,000lbs under max capacity, but there are so many other factors to consider when towing a load. Water, gear, etc in the trailer. Gear, passengers in the truck. Road conditions and grade. What’s the frontal area of this camper? OP, there’s great info in this forum that covers all these topics, read all of them before you set out with a loaded camper that you might not be able to stop.
Sponsored

Coachman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You should have NO problem towing a 3K camper as long as you have the 4K towing package. You will be 1000 pounds UNDER the MAX trailer weight.đź‘Ť
And also, an important point to be addressed is to be aware of your trailer brake adjustments so you have proper trailer braking assist especially in hilly/mountainous driving.

Probity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Scab 2.7EB, 2017 CR-V
Do a quick and dirty check using the camper trailer specs you're thinking of getting, plug into a simple towing calculator like this TowCalculator.com and see what it spits out. Bear in mind for the tow vehicle (i.e. your Maverick) the curb weight, actual truck-specific payload capacity, GVWR are numbers we think we know, not what they actually are - you'll need to see your door jamb stickers for actual payload and GVWR and GAWR's.

What we "think" we know about the Maverick as a tow vehicle from various Ford sources:
  • Base Curb Weight (2.5l FWD Hybrid) = 3674#, Base Curb Weight (2.0l FWD) = 3563#, Base Curb Weight (2.0l AWD) = 3731#.
  • Maximum Payload Capacity = 1500#s (a general number from Ford in various media items for all trims and configurations) – or - maybe 1564#s for a base XL Hybrid (from eSource Book). Regards actual payload ratings, we all won’t know for sure until we can see those yellow stickers. eSource book says “Customers can load Maverick up to its maximum payload rating(2) of 1,564#s. with the 2.5L Hybrid, which is enough capacity to haul 39 bags of mulch at 40#s. each or a small recreational ATV.” Footnote (2) says “Maximum payload capability is for properly equipped base vehicles with required equipment and a 150#. driver, and varies based on cargo, vehicle configuration, accessories and number of passengers. See label on doorjamb for carrying capacity of a specific vehicle. Payload and towing are independent attributes and may not be achieved simultaneously.”
  • GCWR = from prelim. Tow Guide. 6010# (Hybrid), 5900# (2.0l FWD), 6345# (2.0l AWD), 7900# (2.0l FWD w/4K Tow), 8145# (2.0l AWD w/4K Tow).
  • GVWR (rough calc not actual, need to see the white door sticker) = Base Curb Weight + Payload Capacity. If you assume a ~1500 # payload capacity rating for trims/configurations, then GVWR = 5174 # (Hybrid), 5063 # (2.0l FWD), 5231 # (2.0l AWD).
  • TTW = 400# max (2.0l FWD or AWD w/4K Tow). For the Hybrid, not sure yet but I think it might be 200#.
Hopefully Ford will bring back their own Towing Calculator. It was great while it lasted.....which wasn't very long at all. Ford put it up/made it live in late March 2021, it was there through mid-April.........aaaaaand then it disappeared. Still not there. Don't know why Ford took it down so soon. Conventional wisdom is their legal dept. had issues but who know? It was here... ford-digital-fleet-hub-fe .....then it wasn't. Ford said at the time it disappeared: "Thank you for your interest in the Ford Fleet Live Towing Calculators. This functionality is currently unavailable while we undergo maintenance and improvements. Thank you for your understanding. -Ford Fleet Team"

Hope it eventually comes back it was fantastic.

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/ Toyota Highlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The math will help but keep in mind, two things people tend to overlook are the numbers. I tow, motorcycles, quite often and two things that i have to consider in the equation....mountain grade and adding vehicle content (passenger & cargo) weight. Know your hitch load is rated for, my Honda Element's hitch weight is 350 lbs...gross trailer weight is the other factor, 1200 lbs. Trailer hitch height should keep your trailer parallel with the ground. Balancing your trailer weight to the hitch is half the challenge.

Load up your trailer, etc with your weight and find a steep grade to pull the load over and going down a steep grade to check the distance of braking. My Element can handle a 350# trailer hitch weight, 1200 # gross trailer weight but where it has trouble that I have to compensate for, is braking...I slow down a steep mountain grade by downshifting to a lower gear...YOU CAN NOT downshift in an e-CVT. If you live in a mountainous area it may dictate planning your non-mountainous route.
Long live the Element! Still got my 2004 5/Speed

RogueCheddar

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 XLT Lux EB 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Do a quick and dirty check using the camper trailer specs you're thinking of getting, plug into a simple towing calculator like this TowCalculator.com and see what it spits out. Bear in mind for the tow vehicle (i.e. your Maverick) the curb weight, actual truck-specific payload capacity, GVWR are numbers we think we know, not what they actually are - you'll need to see your door jamb stickers for actual payload and GVWR and GAWR's.

What we "think" we know about the Maverick as a tow vehicle from various Ford sources:
  • Base Curb Weight (2.5l FWD Hybrid) = 3674#, Base Curb Weight (2.0l FWD) = 3563#, Base Curb Weight (2.0l AWD) = 3731#.
  • Maximum Payload Capacity = 1500#s (a general number from Ford in various media items for all trims and configurations) – or - maybe 1564#s for a base XL Hybrid (from eSource Book). Regards actual payload ratings, we all won’t know for sure until we can see those yellow stickers. eSource book says “Customers can load Maverick up to its maximum payload rating(2) of 1,564#s. with the 2.5L Hybrid, which is enough capacity to haul 39 bags of mulch at 40#s. each or a small recreational ATV.” Footnote (2) says “Maximum payload capability is for properly equipped base vehicles with required equipment and a 150#. driver, and varies based on cargo, vehicle configuration, accessories and number of passengers. See label on doorjamb for carrying capacity of a specific vehicle. Payload and towing are independent attributes and may not be achieved simultaneously.”
  • GCWR = from prelim. Tow Guide. 6010# (Hybrid), 5900# (2.0l FWD), 6345# (2.0l AWD), 7900# (2.0l FWD w/4K Tow), 8145# (2.0l AWD w/4K Tow).
  • GVWR (rough calc not actual, need to see the white door sticker) = Base Curb Weight + Payload Capacity. If you assume a ~1500 # payload capacity rating for trims/configurations, then GVWR = 5174 # (Hybrid), 5063 # (2.0l FWD), 5231 # (2.0l AWD).
  • TTW = 400# max (2.0l FWD or AWD w/4K Tow). For the Hybrid, not sure yet but I think it might be 200#.
Hopefully Ford will bring back their own Towing Calculator. It was great while it lasted.....which wasn't very long at all. Ford put it up/made it live in late March 2021, it was there through mid-April.........aaaaaand then it disappeared. Still not there. Don't know why Ford took it down so soon. Conventional wisdom is their legal dept. had issues but who know? It was here... ford-digital-fleet-hub-fe .....then it wasn't. Ford said at the time it disappeared: "Thank you for your interest in the Ford Fleet Live Towing Calculators. This functionality is currently unavailable while we undergo maintenance and improvements. Thank you for your understanding. -Ford Fleet Team"

A quick example using my 16ft travel trailer and the figures above:

Trailer Dry weight: 2000lbs (TTW 220lbs)
Mav 2.0EB w/4k: 3731lbs (probably a little more in reality)
GCWR: 5731lbs
That gives me 2414lbs wiggle room to get to the quoted 8145lbs GCWR maximum.
GVW of my trailer is quoted at 2500lbs
Myself, Wife, Dog around 350lbs

Still gives me approx 1550lbs to play with. Not too bad at all. Realistically I don't get anywhere near that max GVW on the trailer, maybe 2300 with a full water tank, some snacks and beer.

Sponsored

Jah.

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jah.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick xlt fx4 , Honda 700 ctx mc
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yes .

RicksMaverick

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rapid Red 2022 Lariat Lux 1$tED 4k AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Is it me or does the 400lb max tongue seem low for a 4klb max tow capacity?

I believe tongue weight of a trailer is usually about 15% of total weight.
All of my experience with towing has been 10% tongue weight.

Mavonorder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camry
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Yeah...all this towing information is confusing. Using the towing calculator, I'm going to be just able to tow my trailered 20' pontoon boat. I was relieved to find out my trailer only weighs 746 pounds. It's a good thing we only drive 3 miles to the launch and back homeđź‘Ť

Quinnman

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks for the post Probity, it was very informative.
My Yellow sticker states the combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed
662 kg or 1460 lbs. (I assume this means the bed can handle this much weight minus the passengers weight). Don't know if this is just cargo weight in the bed or if it also applies to towing capacity in some way.
My Maverick XL Hybrid has the tow package option with a 4 pin trailer connector.
The tow rating is supposed to be 2000lbs.
Using this as a guideline and wanting to err on the side of caution I went looking for a camper with a dry weight in the 1500 lb range to allow a little wiggle room to tow.
Found one with a dry weight of 1550lbs. and a bathroom (No more late night trips to the bathroom at the campgrounds!). Before purchasing this camper I realized it has electric brakes and needs a brake controller. This means it also has a 7 pin connector.
Can the Maverick hybrid have a brake controller and a seven pin connector added? I know they have a 7 pin connector and brake controller option on the Mavericks with eco motor 4K towing package. Can the hybrid be set up with a brake controller and 7 pin connector to use the trailer braking for this type of camper?

Jah.

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jah.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick xlt fx4 , Honda 700 ctx mc
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I am sure it's possible . I had to add one to my f150 . you will also have to add the brake controller . a good trailer store should be able to accomplish this .
Sponsored