Can a guy get a test drive?

brickmagnet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 MU 91 240
Engine
Undecided
Contacted three local dealers (Pasadena-Los Angeles), each showing several in stock, one has supposedly been there a week at least that I've been checking, but they all said firmly No.

What gives?

Sorry to be irritating in my first post but... really?
Sponsored

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Are they actually at the dealership or just showing on their website? They might be in transit. And what color is the window sticker? If it's green then it's a customer order, so another reason you wouldn't get to test drive.

OP
OP

brickmagnet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 MU 91 240
Engine
Undecided
Are they actually at the dealership or just showing on their website? They might be in transit. And what color is the window sticker? If it's green then it's a customer order, so another reason you wouldn't get to test drive.
Thanks for the info on the sticker color, I was seeing that but didn't know it meant anything.

Can't see the sticker at this dealer's website, but they confirmed by text that it is there, and not a customer's car, but still no touching.

AltoBAP

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jefferson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Fusion SE 2.0 AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Dealerships might also tell people that over the phone so they don't get a bunch of people just coming to drive it, knowing they won't make a sale. If they know they aren't going to make money on you, they won't waste their time.

They get so many calls that they usually don't take anyone serious until they show up. You might have better luck visiting in person and pretending like you want to buy one.

Old Man

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
There's a poll asking how many test drove or saw a Maverick before ordering - Did you test drive a Maverick before ordering.
56% did not test drive or see one because they are impossible to find. 19% were able to test drive. 25% didn't test drive but were able to see one.

Sponsored

OP
OP

brickmagnet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 MU 91 240
Engine
Undecided
Dealerships might also tell people that over the phone so they don't get a bunch of people just coming to drive it, knowing they won't make a sale. If they know they aren't going to make money on you, they won't waste their time.

They get so many calls that they usually don't take anyone serious until they show up. You might have better luck visiting in person and pretending like you want to buy one.
So why is there a "schedule a test drive" button on the very car's page on the website? :unsure:

mav_kev

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mav
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So why is there a "schedule a test drive" button on the very car's page on the website? :unsure:
If serious question, that's basically just another way for them to capture a sales lead. It's not like placing an order on Amazon; you wouldn't just simply get a test drive by clicking a button. In general, inventory is not for joy riding and a test drive is meant to be the last piece of the puzzle before you buy something, not the first. There is a lot of qualifying that is done before you get tossed the keys. That said, it's hard to qualify interest via the phone or an internet lead. Go into the store.

Source: was in sales at the dealership level

OP
OP

brickmagnet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 MU 91 240
Engine
Undecided
There's a poll asking how many test drove or saw a Maverick before ordering - Did you test drive a Maverick before ordering.
56% did not test drive or see one because they are impossible to find. 19% were able to test drive. 25% didn't test drive but were able to see one.
Thanks, found it. 80% did not drive!

Opinions differ, but I would not call this normal or good.

Ford Truck Guy

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I called the dealer where I bought mine, before I bought it, asking if they had any Mavericks. He told me they had 3 hybrids and some Ecoboosts. I hadn't even sat in one at that point. I drove down to check them out and asked if I could drive a hybrid. No problem. Test drove one and ended up buying it.

LM42

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT FX4 EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks for the info on the sticker color, I was seeing that but didn't know it meant anything.

Can't see the sticker at this dealer's website, but they confirmed by text that it is there, and not a customer's car, but still no touching.
Ive never even heard of this, except for super high end stuff, and even then they just pre-qual people. I suggest being there and not asking someone over the phone. I cannot fathom a scenario in which they won't allow a test drive. UNLESS you said yeah I have one on order from another dealer, do you mind of I come drive one Im not going to buy.

Sponsored
OP
OP

brickmagnet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 MU 91 240
Engine
Undecided
If serious question, that's basically just another way for them to capture a sales lead. It's not like placing an order on Amazon; you wouldn't just simply get a test drive by clicking a button. In general, inventory is not for joy riding and a test drive is meant to be the last piece of the puzzle before you buy something, not the first. There is a lot of qualifying that is done before you get tossed the keys. That said, it's hard to qualify interest via the phone or an internet lead. Go into the store.

Source: was in sales at the dealership level
It's not even nearly the last piece to this customer though. I'd be really really hacked off if I showed up in person, to drive a ordinary car, and was refused.

I called the dealer where I bought mine, before I bought it, asking if they had any Mavericks. He told me they had 3 hybrids and some Ecoboosts. I hadn't even sat in one at that point. I drove down to check them out and asked if I could drive a hybrid. No problem. Test drove one and ended up buying it.
This is how it works. And always has.

Aza

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Check used car lots like Carmax to see if they have any that people have traded in.

B2000

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
B2000
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I was able to drive a hybrid at a Hyundai dealer and then an ecoboost at a Ford dealer before I bought- or should I say ordered. Lots of motorcycle dealers are now getting tight with test rides.

pa-outdoorsman

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT, EB, LUX, FX4, 4K, Cactus Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Thanks, found it. 80% did not drive!

Opinions differ, but I would not call this normal or good.
I was among the 19% who test drove. I can't imagine buying ANY vehicle without driving one first. And, FWIW, I came away from my test drive impressed. It made me want a Maverick even more...

Oh, also worth noting that the dealership where I test drove it was the ONLY dealer in my area at the time (November 2021) with an AWD EB in stock, and they were keeping it on the lot specifically for demo purposes. I mean, I am sure they eventually sold it, but the point is they were capitalizing on it to draw customers. Although I did not place an order the day I test drove, I did ultimately place my order with that dealership and took delivery of my truck 11 months later.

Traegorn

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trae
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nerdandtie.com
Vehicle(s)
2011 Nissan Versa, 2023 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I mean, when I ordered no Hybrid Mavericks had actually shipped yet. In fact, all of us who ordered Hybrids in 2021 couldn't have test driven them ahead of time, since orders closed before the OKTB date
Sponsored

Last edited: