Sponsored

Camping - Hybrid use for overnight items???

Godspeed27

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hybrid owner here. Going camping in a month. Has anybody tested the abilities of the plug ins for any camping? The wife wants the fan and I need a CPAP while tent camping...haven't invested in a solar panel just yet...which means we need to utilize the electric sites instead of the primitive as of now.

Any ideas as to if the Maverick hybrid would power these few items for a few overnights under the stars?
Sponsored

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, Viper, 66 Shelby, 68.5 CJ Mustang, Pantera
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Honda 2000w generator

Good luck

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

It won't. The truck will cut power.

I use a portable battery and solar panels. Big fan of Ecoflow.

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The 12V (and 120V if equipped with the optional 400W inverter) outlets run off the standard 12V battery, not the hybrid HVB. That battery does not provide power for very long after the vehicle is shut off.

However, if you were able to leave the vehicle running throughout the night, it would continue to supply power to the outlets. Being a hybrid, it would cycle the engine on and off throughout the night, generally spending much more time off than on. Even more so if you left climate off. By default, the vehicle will automatically shut off after idling for ~30 minutes, but there is a setting to disable this.

If you were to go that route you'd want to be sure to do a test at home powering everything you need off of the vehicle, before you go camping. Especially with the CPAP. :)

Raymundo76

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mazda CX-5
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Hybrid owner here. Going camping in a month. Has anybody tested the abilities of the plug ins for any camping? The wife wants the fan and I need a CPAP while tent camping...haven't invested in a solar panel just yet...which means we need to utilize the electric sites instead of the primitive as of now.

Any ideas as to if the Maverick hybrid would power these few items for a few overnights under the stars?
Without 110 access suggest solar panel and a power station. A gen is a good idea but many sites do not allow them after 10PM. In order to size the power station you need to know how many Watts the CPAP draws. The solar panel & gen can charge the power station during the day. I have a 300wh power station that cost about $210 and a 60w solar panel. USB fans are also a good option. Good luck!!

Sponsored

BAScott62

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
On the power station side, you can also charge them with the 12v in the vehicle throughout the day. As a test, I was able to keep a 12v fridge/cooler running for over a week with a 500wh power station only driving for a little over an hour a day.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

The 12V (and 120V if equipped with the optional 400W inverter) outlets run off the standard 12V battery, not the hybrid HVB. That battery does not provide power for very long after the vehicle is shut off.

However, if you were able to leave the vehicle running throughout the night, it would continue to supply power to the outlets. Being a hybrid, it would cycle the engine on and off throughout the night, generally spending much more time off than on. Even more so if you left climate off. By default, the vehicle will automatically shut off after idling for ~30 minutes, but there is a setting to disable this.
Can you elaborate on this?

I was under the impression accessory mode would time out, but I didn't know "run" mode would time out.

I have not had the need to test either.
In Gen1 Hybrid Escape there was no time-out if the truck key was in Run.
Slept in my Escape once. Had power with engine cycling all night. But it was a 2005.

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Can you elaborate on this?

I was under the impression accessory mode would time out, but I didn't know "run" mode would time out.

I have not had the need to test either.
In Gen1 Hybrid Escape there was no time-out if the truck key was in Run.
Slept in my Escape once. Had power with engine cycling all night. But it was a 2005.
I’m so used to push button start that I forgot this may not apply to Maverick XL or XLT with conventional keyed ignition. Whoops.

Essentially, if the vehicle is left idling in park for long enough, the vehicle will shut off automatically. This is in case you forgot to turn off the vehicle. There’s generally an override in the settings. It also prompts you shortly before shutting off in case you want it to stay on.

Not sure off-hand when this was implemented but it might’ve been in the last decade.

J@M€$

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
On the power station side, you can also charge them with the 12v in the vehicle throughout the day. As a test, I was able to keep a 12v fridge/cooler running for over a week with a 500wh power station only driving for a little over an hour a day.
What was your setup?

BAScott62

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's nothing fancy at all, just a 30 Quart compressor fridge on the floorboard behind the passenger seat. The seat has to be pretty far forward for it to fit. It plugs into the power station, power station into the rear 12v power port.

Sponsored

JimParker256

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Area 51 Hybrid FE, 2014 Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

There are several "portable power stations" that can provide enough power to run your CPAP overnight. with plenty of reserve. I'm rather partial to products made by Anker, but there are many other options, some that are substantially less expensive, though potentially less "safe"... Anker has an excellent reputation for using quality components and providing plenty of thermal margin for their recharging and battery management systems. Others are good also, I just don't know their products as well... My sister uses one of these units in her camping van (which we converted ourselves from a bare-bones cargo van) to power all her electrical "stuff" (including a small refrigerated ice chest) instead of hauling a generator. She loves it!

As for the "fan" side... I just purchased this small rechargeable stroller fan that uses USB to recharge. It will run for quite a while on low speed (claim is 40 hours!), and long enough for me (claim is 10 hours) on high speed. It has articulated legs that can wrap around something, or stand it in place. Not a perfect solution, but something I can live with. I'll use it in our camper to keep me cool without freezing my wife out. But we will also use it when we're watching fireworks, or attending outdoor concerts, or whatever.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I’m so used to push button start that I forgot this may not apply to Maverick XL or XLT with conventional keyed ignition. Whoops.

Essentially, if the vehicle is left idling in park for long enough, the vehicle will shut off automatically. This is in case you forgot to turn off the vehicle. There’s generally an override in the settings. It also prompts you shortly before shutting off in case you want it to stay on.

Not sure off-hand when this was implemented but it might’ve been in the last decade.
I left my XLT hybrid in Park, Key to run "Ready" in a gated lot at work today with parking brake on and wheels chocked (just in case) then walked away.

I mostly wanted to see if I could self-recharge the 12v battery. I'm down in the upper 11's in the morning now. Just curious if 30 minute commutes were "too short" to keep the 12v battery healthy. More on that elsewhere.
(It didn't work.)

I kept it in Park "ready" for 3 hours 10 minutes. Nothing shut off.

I parked with an already hot engine on a 74 degree day.

I had nothing running inside except a cell phone charger. (Oh, and the ScanGaugeIII pictured below.)

HV battery started at 56.27%

Engine came on for the first time
96 minutes later! Ya really!
Engine came on when battery hit 29.9%.
I have to assume the catalytic converter cooled down in 96 minutes. So it does not worry about emissions when you are in park. Yay Ford! Either intentionally or by accident this is good news (for campers using the truck as a stationary power plant).

I have it on video.
Engine on at 29.9%.
Engine off at 40.7%
Engine run time: 87 seconds
Fuel burned (ScanGauge) 0.03 gallons.

Engine stayed off another 45 minutes or so, was busy doing "work" and didn't catch the second start up.
Went from ~30% to ~40% a second time.
Used another 0.03 gallons.

Truck was in Park for 3 hours 10 minutes. Started only twice.
Used only 0.06 gallons.

Last edited:

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Red flashing is something I programmed to give a 2% warning before the engine is forced to start.
Notice gentle charging at the start. I think this is to allow the catalyst to heat up before loading the engine.
Sponsored