Sponsored

C/D article & render of possible Toyota Corolla based pickup truck to compete with Maverick

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Sure they could. If they do it won't be soon, and it will lose like every other Toyota does in every metric there than fanboy sales.
Sponsored

Mav_RICK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What kind of MPG are you getting in the Cross? It's the 2.0?
Yes it is a 2.0 but rated at 196 HP with the hybrid motor. Actually don't have a good fix on MPG yet. Haven't had it long. We are talking a trip to Rocky Point in Mexico from here in Tucson this weekend. I'll get a good check on highway miles with that trip and I'll let you know.

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Maverick Hybrid is the truck I'd buy today. Better MPG and pricing compared to 2027 Toyota ?
Unfortunately I must patiently wait for Ford to build my 2023 Maverick Hybrid. I'm projecting it will arrive at dealership in October.

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer Limited; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Not sure all of the hype for a Toyota truck. Ford sells more F-150s than Toyota sells Tacoma and Tundra combined.... twice. Hell, Ram sells more total trucks than Toyota.

Huchipapa

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01 Trooper; '04 9-3; '13 Outback; '24 Mav Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Not sure all of the hype for a Toyota truck. Ford sells more F-150s than Toyota sells Tacoma and Tundra combined.... twice. Hell, Ram sells more total trucks than Toyota.
Historical reliability of Toyota vehicles. The fact that Toyota pretty much set the standard for hybrid expectations with the Prius. We’re not talking about a body on frame vehicle.

Sponsored

PNWMaverick

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
A lot of speculation and wishing in that 'article' and with a very terrible render.

If it were to happen in 2027 we would be expecting a Maverick refresh at that point and Ford's ability to produce them in number to increase. As well as other refinements.

The issue you may have with a Toyota in this class is the cost. I have no doubts it would have a better fit and finish, but at what cost? $10,000 more starting is a no-go for a lot of people in this class of vehicle. Even the (ugly) Santa Cruz starts substantially higher than the Maverick. While not offering anymore than the Maverick; I think the Cruz bed is even smaller than a Maverick's. It is more of a trunk without a deck (lid).

A big draw to this class/market is the low cost of the vehicle, comparatively, and the size of it. It is large enough of a truck to handle the vast majority of hauling needs and small enough to maneuver around a city.

Having said that, it is a Toyota and would sell.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Historical reliability of Toyota vehicles. The fact that Toyota pretty much set the standard for hybrid expectations with the Prius. We’re not talking about a body on frame vehicle.
I would say I see a hell of a lot more 30, 40, 50 year old Fords still around working than I do Toyotas. Also I think Ford set the standards for hybrid trucks. Enough power to pull a house and run power to it. Priuses are really just A to B vehicles without any other real usefulness. Of course now it's trying to reinvent itself as a performance green car. Sure they make decent vehicles but I never sat in one and thought it was the bees knees or the shiznit as they say.

PNWMaverick

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I would say I see a hell of a lot more 30, 40, 50 year old Fords still around working than I do Toyotas. Also I think Ford set the standards for hybrid trucks. Enough power to pull a house and run power to it. Priuses are really just A to B vehicles without any other real usefulness. Of course now it's trying to reinvent itself as a performance green car. Sure they make decent vehicles but I never sat in one and thought it was the bees knees or the shiznit as they say.
While I am not a brand loyalist myself, I find the Toyota loyalists to be the most enthusiastic. Even though an entire generation of the Tacos broke in half when exposed to wet conditions for a long period of time.

On the other side of it, I see a lot of Camry and Corolla with about a million miles on them driving around. I have long thought that the PNW is where Subaru and Toyotas come to die. It just seems that the Camry and Corolla won't.

We are also home to the XJ Jeep. The 4.0 straight six is bulletproof and it seems that every other house has someone who can rebuild one (the entire Jeep) blind folded.

Huchipapa

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01 Trooper; '04 9-3; '13 Outback; '24 Mav Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Truck-wise, you’re probably correct. But look at the subcompact, compact and medium size sedans in proportion to their sales numbers and I think Toyota is a slam dunk winner.

I’m not saying they’re perfect. But all in all my experience as well as that of many family, friends and work associates has been highly positive. Rarely do I see them stray from the Toyota or Lexus family when it’s time to buy another vehicle.

Sponsored

stoptothink

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
A lot of speculation and wishing in that 'article' and with a very terrible render.

If it were to happen in 2027 we would be expecting a Maverick refresh at that point and Ford's ability to produce them in number to increase. As well as other refinements.

The issue you may have with a Toyota in this class is the cost. I have no doubts it would have a better fit and finish, but at what cost? $10,000 more starting is a no-go for a lot of people in this class of vehicle. Even the (ugly) Santa Cruz starts substantially higher than the Maverick. While not offering anymore than the Maverick; I think the Cruz bed is even smaller than a Maverick's. It is more of a trunk without a deck (lid).

A big draw to this class/market is the low cost of the vehicle, comparatively, and the size of it. It is large enough of a truck to handle the vast majority of hauling needs and small enough to maneuver around a city.

Having said that, it is a Toyota and would sell.

Ding ding ding. My guess is an actual Maverick competitor from Toyota would start in the high 30's.

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, - Lariat, Hyundai Palisade
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Grabber Rick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Focus wagon 06 Silverado 4x4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What kind of MPG are you getting in the Cross? It's the 2.0?

Yeah, seems like they would need to do it a lot sooner than 2027. I am hoping they do something based on the next RAV4 which should be 2025 I belive.

New Maverick is suppose to be 2027 or 2028?
They have said 2024 would be Maverick refresh. Talking all wheel drive hybrid.

Grabber Rick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Focus wagon 06 Silverado 4x4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Maverick Hybrid is the truck I'd buy today. Better MPG and pricing compared to 2027 Toyota ?
Unfortunately I must patiently wait for Ford to build my 2023 Maverick Hybrid. I'm projecting it will arrive at dealership in October.
When is your build date? Mine was 9/5/23 then 9/9/23 now it's 9/11/23. So I expect to get it mid October. I hope cause I have rustproofing and undercoating scheduled. Want time to get PPF stripes and mudflaps put on before weather gets nasty.

OneAlienBoi

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
As someone who's grown up with multiple products from each brand, I'd say Ford and Toyota offer similar levels of longevity. Keep in mind Ford's entire marketing pitch is "Our guys are reliable, abuse them" and Toyota is a brand where all the owners are getting their second or third hip replacement. Old people are generally soft on cars, so that helps them last longer.

Edit: I typed cars, my phone autocorrected to guys, but I'm gonna leave it because it's just like WTF?
Sponsored